advertisement

Record Shops RIP ...................................

I discovered a new record shop near near Holloway Road, London last week.
DOC Records, 5 Cardwell Terrace, London. N7 0NH
020 77000081.

This is THE record shop that is featured in Nick Hornby's novel Hi-Fidelity (sources- it's location corresponds to that mentioned in the novel and my Camden rock friend says so too.).

Yes, it is like stepping back in time. I'm sure some of the stock has been in the shop for over a decade. Good choice of rare collectable rock Lp's upstairs and more affordable albums downstairs.

Piccadilly

This sounds like the shop I used to know. Is it run by an old Italian hippie? If it is the same shop it has been there for about 15 years. Bloody glad to hear it's still going. I also always thought that it was the shop featured in High Fidelity.

Peter

There's large old handmade sign for DOC on the road by Holloway nick. Went past it yesterday but my young passengers weren't sold on the idea of Saturday in a record shop!

We got us a new one! Imperial Music in Inverness (in the Victorian market). New and old vinyl and CDs...bought some Neu!, Vic Godard etc. So Inverness has 2 vinyl shops (Market Brae Music being the other). Ace!

Time for an Inverness trip then is it.

DS

I used to go to Imperial in Bristol, it was behind a shoe shop is it and had a really good selection of Classic rock, Indie. Kraut and older stuff, and a bit of dance and other stuff too. And you got discount offered on volume purchasers there.

So, time for an Inverness trip for sure.

DS

DOC Records near Holloway Rd in London.

I think the guys who runs it is called Alex. Long dark curly hair. European, so I am sure he
is the Italian hippy.

I've been past that road sign for DOC records several times over the past few years in the bus and thought that the shop might have closed down. Fortunately it hasn't.

P.S. Don't forget that Listen Records in Crouch End (Run by two Glaswegian brothers) has successfully been transformed into a branch of Flashback records.

Going off at a tangent a bit. Just discovered a thread on some old record shops in Glasgow:

http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1506

I have'nt seen mention of the Indoor Market in Canterbury (towards Westgate). Dave only charges £2:50 for his secondhand albums. I have never been disapointed with the quality of any purchases and I have bought many hundreds of records from him.

Checked it today, got a few albums is it. Not much post or alt rock, lots of Pink Floyd boots, and Led Zep boots. Boxes and boxes of generic house / dance 12" on the floor, nothing rare or unusual there, but worth a look.

DS

Mousey once said : "If you can get to Kettering, there's a half-decent record shop there (Sonic Boom). Lots of used vinyl @ £2 each or 3 for £5. More collectible stuff too, at not-bad prices. I picked up a few of the £2 specials the other day, and they sound ok after a wash & brush up."

Went there today, the Sonic Boom shop has shut up, shutters down, no signs of life.

Is it that it is all day closing on Weds, or has the shop shut up?

No other joy in the outlets listed for Kettering, a barren place.

DS

I think this might of been mentioned previously is it, but in That London Spitalfields market this pm there was a market with about 10 record stalls, which yielded some decent results.

One stall had boxes and boxes of albums for £1 each, I was amazed that it was possible to go through thousands of records and only see MOR shite there. Makes you wonder where they have all been hiding for 20 years.

DS

I am thinking that Clampdown Records, off Picadilly in Manchester has shut down, as the shutters were locked down is it.

DS

I think this might of been mentioned previously is it, but in That London Spitalfields market this pm there was a market with about 10 record stalls, which yielded some decent results.

One stall had boxes and boxes of albums for £1 each, I was amazed that it was possible to go through thousands of records and only see MOR shite there. Makes you wonder where they have all been hiding for 20 years.

DS

I suspect these may have been imported specially to provide 'ironic' listening enjoyment to the mulleted denizens of that Shoreditch.

DS/All

Will be spending some time working in Southend in v near future. Any vinyl shops you can recommend?

Ta

Sad news from that Newcastle is it.

The notice in the door announces that alt.vinyl are moving away from the physical and going on line they say.

So, no more browsing the alt.grunge / alt.rock / alt.folk parts there.

DS

That Phonica was on BBC TV Breakfast this morning, bigging up the 300 UK Independent record shops that are left is it. I was there this pm.

William Orbit. What a ****. He has a peado lip.

DS

Perhaps the BBC has an indie record shop supporter is it.

Mr Lashmar sent me that link as well. Amazing that with 50 stalls, not one will be records / vinyl, I would have thought that someone who does a record stall in a market would have a go there?

101 Records, might have a look in before they go, not had a lot of success in the past mind.

DS

So here's some good news for once (apologies if this has already been covered on here). A new record shop, and very good it is too !

http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk...fans-spin/article-1587763-detail/article.html

I've been in twice so far and come out with an armful of records both times. Very good prices on used items.

Also still functional in Lincolnshire are Rutland Records stall on Grantham market on Saturdays, Time Machine Records in Grantham and a stall on Boston market Wednesdays and Saturdays.

There's a record fair monthly in Lincoln too:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=54359818714

... and also quite a nice stall on the indoor market in Lincoln.

Perhaps the BBC has an indie record shop supporter is it.

Mr Lashmar sent me that link as well. Amazing that with 50 stalls, not one will be records / vinyl, I would have thought that someone who does a record stall in a market would have a go there?

101 Records, might have a look in before they go, not had a lot of success in the past mind.

DS

Despite it being the illustrious birthplace of both dubstep and myself I've never lingered too long in Croydon.

How is it doing for new-fangled record shops? Is it just Mixing Records?

More Records shops on the Telly is it, On the One Show, there was RTE annd Phonica, and another one I didn't immediately recognise.

The BBC has a semi on for vinyl at the moment, which is a good thing.

DS

advertisement

Back