advertisement

Recommended movies etc on Netflix/Amazon Prime III

It's not new, but I watched "Post Mortem: No One Dies In Skarnes" quite a while ago, and found it disturbing and funny in equal measure:

NB: I haven't checked if it's still available though.

Looks like another essential watch on Apple TV+, starting today -

Masters Of The Air

Hmm... watched the first two episodes. When they are not in the 'planes its dreadfully cliched, like 1940s war movies. The interpersonal dialogue is wince-inducingly bad.

Band of Brothers was the template for this kind of thing but despite its sentimentality (oh yes, Spielberg is involved) it was much more nuanced and had much more believable characterization. Only 2 episodes in though, maybe it will improve.

Seems to me that we are going backwards when it comes to war dramas for intelligent audiences.

Seems to me that we are going backwards when it comes to intelligent audiences.
FIFY.

I've not watched this yet, but alas, I fear there's a general dumbing-down of much broadcast & suchlike material. I'd hoped Apple TV had managed to uphold their previously high standards & it'll be sad if they start to dumb down their output.

The Killer - Netflix

First, don't let the title put you off! It's not the usual b-movie trash that you might think from the name.

I enjoyed this film from David Fincher, about the aftermath of a botched assassination. Quite slow paced and not for everyone, but I thought it was quite stylish in an underplayed way.

The film is built around the internal dialogue of a generic hitman, who shares his philosophy with us - part self help, part motivational speaking.

Kind of film noir/arthouse feel to it. It's an English language film, but the credits referred to it being based on a French story, and the producers also being French, so maybe it's a remake of a French film? I don't know, but does have a French cinema feel to it.

And the soundtrack really stands out - curated by Trent Reznor/Atticus Ross and mainly comprised of singles from The Smiths, who the assassin likes as a mental diversion from the job in hand. Who wouldn't?

Slick cameo from Tilda Swinton.

Yeah, The Killer is a good watch. Fassbender’s character reminded me of his android character in Prometheus and like you say the score is excellent, every score that reznor/atticus lay their hands on is well worth a listen.

I was underwhelmed by the Killer. The main character was just an immoral arsehole, who I had no empathy for. The Smiths were just shoehorned in, without even the slightest hint of what they meant to the protagonist, other than aural wallpaper. Stylish, but slightly ineffective I thought.

As so often, Tilda Swinton superb though.

Just finished Griselda on Netflix, true story of a woman who commanded the Miami drugs scene in the 80s. I’m sure I’d have enjoyed it more if I hadn’t seen Narcos and other similar programmes in the last couple of years. They all start to feel the same.

Cheers BB

Just finished Griselda on Netflix, true story of a woman who commanded the Miami drugs scene in the 80s. I’m sure I’d have enjoyed it more if I hadn’t seen Narcos and other similar programmes in the last couple of years. They all start to feel the same.

Cheers BB
Half way through, bit samey samey as you say, very similar to Queen of the South.

Yes, you get the feeling Queen Of The South takes its inspiration from the Griselda story. We even commented that Griselda needed ‘Pote’ looking after her.

Cheers BB
Had the same thought.

Currently watching a Canadian (French) cop show set in Montreal on Netflix, leaves end of month, 3 series called 19-2, pretty good and. bit different.

Been watching Reacher to keep my son happy, but I'm really struggling with it. I think the main character is a terrible actor, he talks too fast, mumbles and just smiles all the time. He also walks like a camp robot.
Being a huge bodybuilder makes the fight scenes rubbish. There's just no challenge.
His detective skills don't make any sense - "Oh, there's some jam on his shoe. He must have been attacked by three guys" (I made that up, but you get the general idea)

It's not new, but I watched "Post Mortem: No One Dies In Skarnes" quite a while ago, and found it disturbing and funny in equal measure:

NB: I haven't checked if it's still available though.
Still available - have watched it twice

Currently watching (up to #6 of 8) Criminal Record on Apple TV which is really good. Cops in London thing with a really good cast (Peter Capaldi, Cush Jumbo, Zoe Wanamaker).

Highly recommended.

the After - Netflix

This is an 18 minute long vignette of a man, hollowed out after witnessing the killing of his wife and daughter.

I thought this was really excellent.

I didn't actually know that it was a short when I started watching and I was really pissed off when the penny dropped that it was over after 18mins !

Oscar nominated apparently. Get's my vote.

Took an Apple TV 7 day trial because Mrs BB fancied ‘Masters of the Air’. I didn’t realise it’s released weekly. It’s not a patch on Band Of Brothers or The Pacific but it’s watchable. Will probably subscribe until we’ve watched a few other things in there, I fancy ‘Silo’ next.

Cheers BB

advertisement

Back