advertisement

Recommendations for switching from monoblock power amps/DAC to a one box solution

This does rather put into perspective the annoyance felt buy purchasers of squeezebox touches that they might not be supported after 3 years, when they had lashed out a whole £299 on them. I'm inclined to the view that an all in one (from streamer to power amp, or even speaker) is a step too far for a hifi manufacturer. Sonos maybe.
I would be intrigued to know how many of the expert pro buyers are those who have bought the previous dav models. My suspicion is "most".

The USP of Devialet is the amp bit (plus its straight wire connection to the digital inputs). All the software stuff is just puff.

Just heard Criterion Audio are also dropping Devialet due to them being a difficult company to deal with. I suspect DVLA will sell out to gen iPod in the near future and drop the Expert line altogether.

The USP of Devialet is the amp bit (plus its straight wire connection to the digital inputs). All the software stuff is just puff.
I think you're probably right. There are a number of ways of splitting the system into boxes at this stage. I'm more inclined to
[streamer] [dac possibly with dsp] [speaker plus amp] although

[streamer dac possibly with dsp] [amp] [passive speaker] works too but the first component is better obtained IMHO from a streamer manufacturer which can easily add a component dac module, than a dac manufactuer who wants to have a go at software (BEWARE!)

[streamer dac possibly with dsp power amp] is too many eggs in one basket, or beyond competence of most manufacturers for my money.

[dac, possibly with dsp speaker and amp] is perfectly viable (see genelec, Neumann/KH etc) but the end of any hobby and more suitable for people who just want to listen to music.
It seems to me that the things which require real expertise are the streamer (which does not need to cost much) and the speaker (which sadly does). And the dsp (if any)

advertisement

Back