advertisement

Recommendations for switching from monoblock power amps/DAC to a one box solution

The inside of my DNA 2 when the phonoboard was being fitted :)

to get a sense of scale, there's two 700va and a 50va transformers under the hiboard (the one in the foreground) the heat sinks are 100mm tall. The chassis size is 400x400.

Whatever happened to devialet? A year or two ago you couldn't ask about anything from a tractor to a penny chew without someone insisting you buy one because they were the greatest thing ever. Now someone asks about a one box solution and no one even mentions them

Whatever happened to devialet? A year or two ago you couldn't ask about anything from a tractor to a penny chew without someone insisting you buy one because they were the greatest thing ever. Now someone asks about a one box solution and no one even mentions them

You appear to have missed post #11...

Perhaps a good time to buy then.

Indeed, several used D200s on the market recently at very reasonable prices.

I used one with the SF Cremona Auditor Ms. The D200 drove them very well, I thought. When it was time to upgrade, it was the speakers that went, not the Dev.

What is it that Dev have done to upset the users so much? Is it still the streaming software?

What is it that Dev have done to upset the users so much? Is it still the streaming software?

TBH I don't know. I used to frequent the unofficial Devialet chat room (whatever it was called), but gave up when the people running it made it clear my posts weren't welcome. I have absolutely NO IDEA what I did to piss them off. Actually come to think of it, expensive mains cables may have been involved.

The streaming thing required an expensive return-to-base upgrade. I really didn't see the point in spending big ones on a hardware-based streamer, so I didn't bother. I still think the high point of Devialet was the first D200. The later iterations of the Phantom are also really good.

TBH I don't know. I used to frequent the unofficial Devialet chat room (whatever it was called), but gave up when the people running it made it clear my posts weren't welcome. I have absolutely NO IDEA what I did to piss them off. Actually come to think of it, expensive mains cables may have been involved.

The streaming thing required an expensive return-to-base upgrade. I really didn't see the point in spending big ones on a hardware-based streamer, so I didn't bother. I still think the high point of Devialet was the first D200. The later iterations of the Phantom are also really good.
I have always been intrigued by the technology and looks of the amps but the rate of introduction of new models made me suspicious that they might be adopting the naim business model.

I have always been intrigued by the technology and looks of the amps but the rate of introduction of new models made me suspicious that they might be adopting the naim business model.

I don't think that's quite fair regarding Naim. One of the great things about most Naim products is that they are repairable and I thought that did not apply to Devialet who seem to epitomise built in obsolescence.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've had a look at many of them and the Hegel 360 looks good. There are other excellent suggestions, but in terms of current delivery this seems equivalent to my Electrocompaniet AW180 power amps. At £4000 it also seems to be good value.

I'm starting preliminary research, so a couple of questions: 1) what is Hegel's after sales support/repair like in the UK, 2) is it a D-type amp? When I was last seriously into my hifi D-type amps were viewed with some suspicion as they were said to have a 'bright', thin sound when compared to class A/B amps such as the Electrocompaniet. Are there any views on this?

Edit: the Lyngdorf also looks interesting but I haven't yet looked into it.

Many thanks

I think there is an assumption that a D amp must sound 'digital', whatever that means.

There is no substitute for your own listening tests -at £4K I would expect no trouble getting a home demo so you get a proper feel for it.

Yes, in the sense that they've tried to force owners onto an upgrade treadmill (streamer and new software platform: see above). No, in the sense that unlike Naim they don't sell external PSUs (or whatever) that should have been in the original components. But maybe that's an overly nice distinction on my part ...

I don't think that's quite fair regarding Naim. One of the great things about most Naim products is that they are repairable and I thought that did not apply to Devialet who seem to epitomise built in obsolescence.

The built-in obsolescence may have been true of the Phantoms (though I hear the company now considers them repairable), but it was never true AFAIK of the D range of amps. You may not be able to repair one yourself or find any third party who can do repairs, but they can be repaired at base.

It'd be interesting to know how many units fail.

Yes, in the sense that they've tried to force owners onto an upgrade treadmill (streamer and new software platform: see above). No, in the sense that unlike Naim they don't sell external PSUs (or whatever) that should have been in the original components. But maybe that's an overly nice distinction on my part ...
I have a sneaking suspicion that in terms of hi end audio, this is inevitable and that the size of the market is not big enough to support a business selling people lovely products which they keep for 20 years. The same customers have to keep spending, which is particularly tricky if you are selling one box solutions. I guess the hope with Dev was to leverage the cool technology and looks into selling to a bigger pool of people who are not audiophiles but want the beautiful and "the best" (see B & O).
Mind you the idea of selling car stereos seems like a winner there as the car manufacturers can do the job of building in obsolescence for you.

advertisement

Back