advertisement

Recommend some TV programs me and the missus can watch.

Sloop John B

And any old music will do…
Not necessarily as easy as one might think.

My dear lady wife does not like any graphic violence or sexual violence of any sort in her TV watching. While she's fine with period dramas with our 2 daughters, what we have historically watched were what I suppose we can loosely call detective programs.

• Morse
  • Foyle's War
  • Dalziel and Pascoe
  • Inspector Lynley

Well you get the picture. Currently Endeavour matches the criteria and we have just watched a season of Shetland on Netflix that ticked all boxes as well.

Is there anything else out there that fits to wile away these winter evenings?

SJB

The Crown - if you have Netflix. No sex or violence but very well acted and well set. Lots of political shenanigans involving the Queen, Phil the Greek, Churchill and Princess Margaret. Very absorbing and we got hooked almost from the very beginning.

Rich

OH here loves Morse, D&P, and recommends;

Pie in the Sky
Rebus
Case Histories
Jack Taylor
Blue Murder
Cracker

The Crown - if you have Netflix. No sex or violence but very well acted and well set. Lots of political shenanigans involving the Queen, Phil the Greek, Churchill and Princess Margaret. Very absorbing and we got hooked almost from the very beginning.

Rich

Have to disagree. Lots of good actors, but Philip is absurd and there are too many long, melodramatic silences and long, meaningful looks. Margaret is the only one who seems plausibly human. Everyone else is a flat cartoon character struggling, and failing, to achieve a third dimension.

Inspector Banks

OP given your requirements do not go near Cracker!

The TV channel Drama is right up your street. If you have a smart tv or can stream to your tv the app is called UKTVPlay.

If you can do it (Netflix? DVDs?) the whole "Mad Men" series is wonderful. Also the original Morse series. But I don't know what means you have at your disposal for getting old stuff. Also Downton Abbey, if you can bear the goody-goody feudal aspects.

Shetland and Hinterland both combine good mysteries with beautiful, rugged scenery.

We've also enjoyed the Brokenwood Mysteries from New Zealand.

There's usually some Agatha Christie dramas knocking about on ITV3. Nothing graphic in those, and they pass the time agreeably enough. Only problem is the humungous number of advert breaks.

Easy but possibly more expensive option - replace wife?

Thankfully mine loves Breaking Bad, Dexter, The Fall, 24, The Shield etc. I just listen to music when she wants to watch Strictly, Bake Off and X Factor!

Running out of suitable TV, any new suggestions based on

"My dear lady wife does not like any graphic violence or sexual violence of any sort in her TV watching"

.sjb

Inspector Montabalo (I've probably misspelled the surname), Italian Detective series, nice scenery, not graphic but quite full of hot women;)
Doc Martin is also pretty good in an undemanding way. I tend to watch a lot of grim stuff so light relief is welcome at times.

If you have any interest in SciFi "The expanse" is pretty good. I think it's on Prime.
"Occupied", and "Nobel" are two excellent Norweigen dramas on Netflix.

advertisement

Back