advertisement

Recommend some TV programs me and the missus can watch.

If you like slow burning detective shows, add River and Wallander to your list, both are excellent... oh and Unforgotten too.

Running out of suitable TV, any new suggestions based on

"My dear lady wife does not like any graphic violence or sexual violence of any sort in her TV watching"

.sjb

Assuming female masturbation doesn’t fall into either of those camps, then Julia Davis’ sit-com ‘Camping’ on NowTV is a riot. Think Mike Leigh’s Nuts in May with horny teenage boys, Simmering bourgeois resentment, really big shitty knickers and star gazey pie.

I was introduced to Lemoney Snicket-a Series of Unfortunate Events (Several Seasons) on Netflix by my 10 year old son. It is utterly charming, suspenseful and the deadpan humour is served up by the spadeful. I have never done series or boxsets (nearly managed 'Lost' but blew it half way through) but this is a different kettle of cats altogether.

Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like.

If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats.

It is one of life's bitterest truths that bedtime so often arrives just when things are really getting interesting.

I can take it or leave it, but the plot must be engaging. Wallander was so slow I didnt actually think it had a plot
Well besides the crime/detective stuff, it’s largely about Kurt Wallander’s own demons and health problems. It’s a Swedish detective show though, they are slow and moody.

In the spirit of togetherness you should watch re-runs of Mr & Mrs. Derek Batey’s jackets made from reject curtains complement his orange make up perfectly and you’ll feel a whole new smugness when it becomes apparent how little many couples seem to know about each other.

In my opinion, Wallander was absorbing and rewarding. Both the English version with Kenneth Branagh, one of our greatest living luvvies, and the original Swedish ones (two different actors, whose names I don’t recall, but both good).

If you like Death in Paradise, try The Mallorca Files (BBC iPlayer).

Also check out The Good Cop (Netflix) - a slow burn but we got into it. Shame it was only one season.

All these have a thread of joy through them, in our opinion.

Similarly, but with the occasional darkness and avant-garde-ness at around the Poirot (ITV) level, see Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries (Netflix).

We are currently enjoying Vienna Blood on BBC 2, a detective series set in 19th Century Vienna . It's a bit different to the usual stuff and quite atmospheric. You can catch up on iPlayer.

advertisement

Back