advertisement

Recommend me a whiskey glass

roman

pfm Member
I would like to buy a present for a friend and various people have suggested a whiskey glass and or whiskey.

I think I favour the former as I doubt I can get a bottle that will thrill him on my budget. Can anyone suggest a decent glass ( or a pair) that avoids being tacky, and can it be done for <£50?

The fashion is for plainer glasses these days

Oh ok. I saw this one in David Mellor last week…

2560515_4.jpg

Weighs plenty thanks to the thick base. Didn’t buy any as they wouldn’t get used much, but still tempted to get some.

For less than £50 you could buy an excellent single malt. If it were me I'd prefer that to a glass!

Look on the Whisky thread and ask for advice - you should get a quick and expert response. Include anything you know about your friend and his drinks preferences.

If you include supermarket special offers you'd find some nice malts at £35 down to £25.

For less than £50 you could buy an excellent single malt. If it were me I'd prefer that to a glass!

Look on the Whisky thread and ask for advice - you should get a quick and expert response. Include anything you know about your friend and his drinks preferences.

If you include supermarket special offers you'd find some nice malts at £35 down to £25.

I don't know what he has or what he likes but I'm sure he's got plenty. Nevertheless I might look into that. Thanks.

I'd agree with the Glencairn glass (or that style) rather than a tumbler - https://www.masterofmalt.com/glassware/glencairn/glencairn-whisky-tasting-glass/
And then add a decent whisky at £40 or so would see a huge choice - do you know what type he likes?
MoM do a number of gift sets (bottle + glass) but then you usually get a branded glass, which I've always thought a little tacky.

Or do you actually mean whiskey? Although I'm not sure there would be much difference for a glass with the Irish varieties? Just a pint glass maybe ;)

I'd agree with the Glencairn glass (or that style) rather than a tumbler - https://www.masterofmalt.com/glassware/glencairn/glencairn-whisky-tasting-glass/
And then add a decent whisky at £40 or so would see a huge choice - do you know what type he likes?
MoM do a number of gift sets (bottle + glass) but then you usually get a branded glass, which I've always thought a little tacky.
Good suggestion. Re branded glasses being tacky, I'll make an exception for it coming with a bottle of that product. That's entirely acceptable. A friend bought me a bottle of JD Gentleman Jack with a branded jigger for measur ing. Great, thanks. The whiskey isn't my favourite but it made a nice Old Fashioned and the jigger is still around, still branded, and makes me remember that present every time I use it, so win-win. That's a better present than a bottle alone.

Well, he said whiskey, which isn't scotch, so presumably Irish or bourbon or suchlike. Doubt the appropriate receptacle differs, though.

I wondered why there were suggestions for whisky.
Oops, well spotted, I said whiskey but meant whisky.

I'm pretty ignorant on the subject but that was just a spelling error!

Another vote for the classic Glencairn glass. I moved to them 15 odd years ago and have a few now but they are cheap and the best.

advertisement

Back