advertisement

Recommend an album which has distinct L/R channels.

Download a decibel app and try it a metre or so from each speaker. I had an issue where 1 channel had a bit more volume than the other and identified it that way. I presume you don't have a balance know. My fault was solved by a new valve in an amp.

I assume you're referring to Babylon Sisters by Steely Dan?

If so, yes it's on the left channel, right at the position of the speaker in terms of placement. Oh and it's a triangle. That's on Amazon Music streaming.

NB: There's no chance that my system is reversed as it's all single cable digital signal until the speakers which are very clearly connected to the correct terminals on the amplifier. In other words there's simply no place the cables could be the wrong way around.

I played my original US pressing (LP, if anyone is in doubt). The triangle was in the left channel.
I also checked the UHQR pressing as replayed by TrackingAngle on youtube. I can not say what channel the triangle actually is on this pressing as it went through a chain of unknown equipment, but when I replayed it the triangle was to the left.
Not related to this thread but the UHQR, as I replay it, has considerably more treble.

As you have Tidal you can listen to one of the many stereo demo albums available there that have channel, phase tests etc.
I don't have Tidal, I have Amazon music and there are many available there.

Ultravox - Vienna track has an explosion sound in the background at the beginning of the track. After a couple of times it pans from left to right in five stages and then reverts back to the left channel.

Ramones debut album.

The recording process was a deliberate exaggeration of the techniques used by the Beatles in the early 1960s, with a four-track representation of the devices. The guitars can be heard separately on the stereo channels—electric bass on the left channel, rhythm guitar on the right—drums and vocals are mixed in the middle of the stereo mix.

advertisement

Back