advertisement

Recommend an album which has distinct L/R channels.

Wayne C

pfm Member
Could any one recommend a common LP that has a distinct left and right separation rather than buy a test LP to check for L/R. I have listened to a track on tidal via roon and a cymbal sound on Babylon Sisters is coming out of the left channel and on my record deck UHQR pressing it is distinctly in the right channel. All connections are fine on my equipment.

The cymbal sound is approx 18 seconds in if it helps, Babylon Sisters Gaucho, or maybe it’s a percussive instrument of some sort but you’ll know it when you hear it!!.

I’m also listening to glamour profession and the guitar licks you hear throughout the song are out of the left channel and cymbals also seem to be reversed , the guitar solo on the refrain is coming out of the right channel on my UHQR 45 when tidal is showing the opposite

Quite a few original stereo Beatles albums are annoyingly separated like that :)

Rubber Soul has a lot of hard-panning. I wish they'd give it the re-master treatment they gave Sgt Pepper, Abbey Road and Revolver. It needs it more than any of them.

I assume you're referring to Babylon Sisters by Steely Dan?

If so, yes it's on the left channel, right at the position of the speaker in terms of placement. Oh and it's a triangle. That's on Amazon Music streaming.

NB: There's no chance that my system is reversed as it's all single cable digital signal until the speakers which are very clearly connected to the correct terminals on the amplifier. In other words there's simply no place the cables could be the wrong way around.

Apologies all figured it out my benchmark Dac has R and L in the wrong order on the rear of the Dac in comparison to the atc which has L R

Reactions: gez
I’m also listening to glamour profession and the guitar licks you hear throughout the song are out of the left channel and cymbals also seem to be reversed , the guitar solo on the refrain is coming out of the right channel on my UHQR 45 when tidal is showing the opposite
For me, the "licks" are coming from the left side, about 80% of the way over to the left speaker.

On reflection I was talking about what you're calling the refrain, guitar at the end of the song. It's the first time I've heard the song. :)

This is what happens when manufacturers mark L/R R/L on differing components I guess it’s easy to not check closely , I’ve been listening to my Dac wrong way around for months and didn’t notice!!. Thankfully I use it mostly for headphones and only occasionally for balanced listening so only noticed today

It pretty much always was red for right and black for left back in the day.
Yes true , this is on the balanced connections which all look the same on pre amp left is were right is on the Dac , were as the Americans right does mean right and the atc left is actually on the right !!

Could any one recommend a common LP that has a distinct left and right separation rather than buy a test LP to check for L/R. I have listened to a track on tidal via roon and a cymbal sound on Babylon Sisters is coming out of the left channel and on my record deck UHQR pressing it is distinctly in the right channel. All connections are fine on my equipment.
Your Gaucho AP pressing must be faulty , I can take it of your hands say £20 :)

10cc - The Original Soundtrack
The first track has a bottle which tumbles from left to right. Totally unmistakable... unless your speakers are wired incorrectly.

Also, the hi-hats at 5:30 should be bang in the middle so I use this track to check channels and centre image.

When this happens a handy tip is to turn your chair around and face away from the speakers to swap left and right channels.

advertisement

Back