advertisement

real genius: how Robben Ford changed my life

real genius: how Robben Ford changed my life

Yeah -- I know how you feel!

I've never seen RF live, but have been a huge fan for many years. He's by far my number one favourite musician. It can be frustrating though because I tell people how incredible this guy is and they just don't get him at all :rolleyes:

He's the man who really brought jazz to the blues on electric guitar IMHO. Technically brilliant, at a level that transcends technical ability - if that makes sense. In other words, he has at his disposal the complete command of the instrument in such a way that it becomes a simple conduit for the tune in his head.

"Riley B. King".

I love that song - it's a great example of how soulful and lyrical a player Robben Ford is.

My question is, how come (esp as a player) it's taken you so long to 'get' Robben Ford!

Mr Tibbs

As an aside, I have given the Yellowjackets a bit of a wide berth having been under-impressed by their albums "the Spin" and "Politics" which are OK background listening.

I have never been in a position to listen to their first album, however today I rashly bought "Twenty Five" [with the DVD] http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/7098919/a/Twenty+Five.htm and it is playing now with many tracks being instantly familiar. Maybe I know more than I know.

Sorry, no Robben Ford on it but Revelation is nice to hear with a sax.

As an aside, I have given the Yellowjackets a bit of a wide berth having been under-impressed by their albums "the Spin" and "Politics" which are OK background listening.

I have never been in a position to listen to their first album, however today I rashly bought "Twenty Five" [with the DVD] http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/7098919/a/Twenty+Five.htm and it is playing now with many tracks being instantly familiar. Maybe I know more than I know.

Sorry, no Robben Ford on it but Revelation is nice to hear with a sax.

You're probably right to give most of their work a wide berth. It's the first album that really cooks. As I understand it, Robben Ford put the band together for his album Inside Story and they went from there. I don't think he did anything else with them but this is the one you want http://www.amazon.com/Yellowjackets/dp/B000002KMF/ref=pd_bbs_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1204283206&sr=8-3

Dave

A couple of lads at work are talking of going to see him at the Sheffield Boardwark in May.Up and coming British blues man Olie Brown is supporting so I might tag along.
I listened to a couple of tracks off the net and found his vocals(Fords) to be a bit lacking but its the guitar playing I will be interested in.

It finally arrived via a tortuous route but well worth the wait. It reminds me of the excitement of "fusion" before it became tedious. Robben is not just the only one shining on this. The bonus tracks are worth having the album alone and the penultimate track "Katie" is just a stunner. Thanks very much Dave.

That's great - I very much agree with you re fusion before it became tedious. Very pleased you're enjoying it.

Dave

...and for today's recommendations......

Lizz Wright - "The Orchard" - check out "I Idolize You "
Buddy Whittington - "Buddy Whittington"

advertisement

Back