advertisement

real genius: how Robben Ford changed my life

kasperhauser

pfm Member
Saw the Robben Ford band, a blues trio, in a dive bar in Eugene last night. Today, I'm an ever so slightly different person.

I'll keep it brief. My jaw dropped very far, very early in the set. Second song, as I recall. But I expected that — after all, it was Robben Ford, being Robben Ford, right there in the room, and he's one of the best guitarists around. He went about playing phenomenally, while I went about shaking my head and saying things like "whoa" and "holy crap".

Somewhere toward the late middle of the set, on one particular song, he was soloing and I began hearing things that didn't make sense to me. There were little bursts of sound that didn't match up with what I saw him doing, nor with how I sort of semi-understand the guitar to work. It was some number of steps beyond a really talented guitarist playing really beautiful melodic lines very fast and with unmatched grace and fluidity. Sitting here now, I still don't quite know what was happening.

Another pretty straight (brilliant) blues swing thing followed that, then a song came that took the above experience to yet a new level. The main solo came from somewhere completely outside my frame of reference; among the mysteries I was hearing, interlaced with and dancing around the sounds, he was manipulating feedback in a very precise way I suspect Hendrix only imagined on really good trips. I didn't know where it was coming from — not a single note of it — and I'm not ashamed to say it had me in tears. I'm welling up here now, just remembering it and trying to describe it.

That's about it. A gracious and kind man, doing something I didn't really know was possible. Go see him. If you're not a guitar dweeb, you'll see a rockin' blues/jazz mix that'll have you dancing. If, like me, you've often dabbled, occasionally struggled to coax pleasing noises out of a strung bit of wood, you'll be treated to a clear illustration of the difference between accomplished playing and true genius.

By the way, I personally think this is what this hobby is all about, and I'm grateful for having been shown that even after 30 or so years as a guitar fan, there are still things like this to discover and experience.

Nice one Kasp.

Mr Ford can play for sure - it's one of my biggest thrills to see a player so at one with his instrument that the usual 'translation layer' - that bit that most of us have that we use as if trying to converse in a different language - is absent. These folks just hear it in their heads and it comes out as music.

I attended a Barney Kessel master class years ago and the great man asked his students to pitch in 4, 6 and 8 bar phrases they had just made up and he played them straight off - note perfect in straight runs, 2, 3 and 4 part harmonies, majors, minors, all sorts of wacky things. It was humbling and inspiring to watch.

It's a great thrill to experience real talent. RF is one of those guys I'd travel a long way to see.

kind regards

Ross

rfik9.jpg

Nice write up. One of things I like about not being a musician is not being able to understand how music is created, so all I hear is sound.

I don't actually like this type of music that much, but Ford's playing is fantastic. His tone has a very human quality. Saw the trio in London ten years ago -- one of the best gigs I ever attended.

One of things I like about not being a musician is not being able to understand how music is created

Kit, whenever I sit down to learn how to play something I really like -- provided I succeed -- it inevitably loses some of its magic!

My wife took the above shot, of Robben playing the loathsome Tele. I admit, I've never heard it sound as good as it did through the Dumble, though. Mostly he played the amaaaaaaazing Sakashta Noupaul, with nice healthy doses of a red ES-335 thrown in.

She also took ~4 minutes of video, nearly the entirety of the song "Riley B. King". I don't have hosting facilities, or I'd share that too. I'll look into getting it on YouTube.

Nice to see so much appreciation of his work. And Thomas K, I agree with what you said about losing some magic when you learn a piece - there are some pieces I don't touch, for this very reason.

Agreed, well worth having, but it doesn't trump "Handful".

Others are also great to have and the track "Revelation" from "Talk To Your Daughter" is absolutely essential listening.

Did I mention I saw him with Larry Carlton [he said smugly]?

Met him when I lived in Charleston, South Carolina many years ago! :) (equally smugly!)

Great guitarist I may even have sme vinyl, need to check but probably sold them when I thought vinyl was gone - ha ha ha - now buying it all back.

Hi Kasperhauser

Been away from these parts for a couple of months so a belated addition to the thread...

As I think I may have said before, I suspect we have exactly the same music collection. I've been a big fan of Robben Ford ever since I heard strains of the first Yellowjackets album outside a clothes shop in Camden in about 1977/78. A wonderful guitarist and fantastic tone too. Saw him with Larry Carlton in London last year and it was without doubt one of the best gigs I've been to.

To all those who haven't heard it, that first Yellowjackets is well worth a listen and you can get hold of the Unauthorized Live album currently on amazon for under £3.00 - bargain.

On a broader subject of guitarists, tomorrow night it's Adrian Legg in Brighton and on the 7th, Buddy Whittington is on at the Boom Boom Club in Sutton. Both are absolute musts.

Dave

I've said it before and I'll say it again – Adrian Legg has the best right hand in the biz. Fine and funny gent to boot.

Buddy Whittington is a new name for me; right to the top of my "who's this, then?" list.

I've said it before and I'll say it again – Adrian Legg has the best right hand in the biz. Fine and funny gent to boot.

Buddy Whittington is a new name for me; right to the top of my "who's this, then?" list.

Check him out, he used to and possibly still is, John Mayall's guitarist, having replaced Coco Montoya. Uses a Dr Z and a Strat (and the occasional evil Telecaster) and prides himself on the Les Paul-through-Marshall sound he gets. A few snippets here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca_hyQA3KU4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lIjrcLjBMA&NR=1

And while you're there do check out Johnny A if you haven't come across him yet, particularly his delicious rendition of Wichita Lineman http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL3mvkZ6mVk&feature=related

Check him out, he used to and possibly still is, John Mayall's guitarist, having replaced Coco Montoya. Uses a Dr Z and a Strat (and the occasional evil Telecaster) and prides himself on the Les Paul-through-Marshall sound he gets. A few snippets here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca_hyQA3KU4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lIjrcLjBMA&NR=1

And while you're there do check out Johnny A if you haven't come across him yet, particularly his delicious rendition of Wichita Lineman http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL3mvkZ6mVk&feature=related

Funny timing... I did pick up Johnny A a long while back, on your recommendation IIRC. I played it through a couple of times last night, then took it to the car this morning and heard the whole thing again. His command of tone is really something... puts him in a very select group of pickers, to my ears. I have a sneaking suspicion he uses a Dumble amp – I'll have to do some googling.

Will check out the vids later this evening, when I have some time to enjoy them. Thanks!

PS – I never got on with Coco Montoya... respect what he does, but it never really grabbed me. May revisit him some day.

advertisement

Back