advertisement

RCA replacement advice required

I think you're going to struggle to find replacements that are much better. The problem is not really the sockets, it's the fact they're supported only by the board and replacing them with a similar type won't fix that.
Jacks of this type are supposed to be screwed to the back plate for support. The one in the photos seems to have a tab on one side for this purpose.

^^^ yes, agree.
If you are getting a hum it's probably a bad earth connection. Could be the phono plug is slightly loose giving intermittent contact, or could also be your interconnect. Check the solder on the circuit board too with a magnifier as a tiny crack can be very difficult to spot.

Those phonos only have two plastic clips through the board for support. Shame they are not the metal solder type much more sturdy.

What @mansr said and try to use the screw tab through the body of the back plate.

The only thing that can go wrong with these is actual broken metal conductors. usually due to extreme physical abuse when trying to use ridiculously tight plugs. Worst I've seen is the outer round barrel part metal fatigued right through all the way round so it comes away with the plug! other than that there is nothing to go wrong other than dry joints to the PCB and these appear OK but I would reflow just to be sure. Dodgy interconnect maybe?

Some more photos:

IMG-0009.jpg

IMG-0010.jpg

IMG-0011.jpg

IMG-0012.jpg

The existing jack is clearly not feeling well. The similar one I linked to above would probably be fine unless subjected to whatever abuse befell the old one. If this is likely, more robust panel mounted jacks is the way to go.

Many thanks again Måns, Your help is very much appreciated.

One of the two analogue outputs identifiers (black/white) has come out/lost.
And as Arkless suggested, after a little investigation the metal housing seems to have corroded/split & has come away completely.
The plastic that accepts the screw to hold it to the chassis has split.

The black digital sp/dif rca on the right has come away from the board so needs sorting.

As advised I'd like to try the chassis mount option if possible to stop this happening again.

Is there anybody in the north London area who would be happy to carry out the work?

Many thanks again Måns, Your help is very much appreciated.

One of the two analogue outputs identifiers (black/white) has come out/lost.
And as Arkless suggested, after a little investigation the metal housing seems to have corroded/split & has come away completely.
The plastic that accepts the screw to hold it to the chassis has split.

The black digital sp/dif rca on the right has come away from the board so needs sorting.

As advised I'd like to try the chassis mount option if possible to stop this happening again.

Is there anybody in the north London area who would be happy to carry out the work?

Is Romford, Essex too far?

This one looks like it might fit: https://uk.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg01550/socket-phono-2x-gold-pcb/dp/1280669
There's no telling if it's any sturdier than what's already there, though.

Another option is to use chassis-mount jacks and wire them to the PCB.

They're cheap for a reason, not copper. If you want to replace RCA sockets go for pure copper, will cost more but you will know you have done the best for your Helios.
Come back if you need a link and I will look some up for you :)

Both socket assemblies will have had panel screws supporting them (you can see that they did in the pics) which the op will have had to remove (along with 4 x metal panel screws below) in order to pull the board.

What appears to be unusual with this one is the output board being mounted to a screw on metal plate. I suspect that if replacing like with like then it would be prudent to do up the back panel screws before those of the metal plate beneath.

Ah, here we go, "DIGIT OUT", must be one of those French single bit players! :)...

69395b.jpg

They're cheap for a reason, not copper. If you want to replace RCA sockets go for pure copper, will cost more but you will know you have done the best for your Helios.
Come back if you need a link and I will look some up for you :)
Bronze is a perfectly good contact material. Pure copper is too soft. Anyhow, on closer inspection, I see now that the one I linked won't fit anyway.

PJRAS1X2S01AUX is your exact replacement part.

That one has the red jack above the white. The S02 variant is white above red. AUX suffix means gold plated, X nickel plated. Any of the variants will obviously work assuming the footprint and jack spacing are correct, and verifying this would require exact measurements of the original, though I suspect it will be a match.

That one has the red jack above the white. The S02 variant is white above red. AUX suffix means gold plated, X nickel plated. Any of the variants will obviously work assuming the footprint and jack spacing are correct, and verifying this would require exact measurements of the original, though I suspect it will be a match.
I stand corrected, sir. My gauche et droites tend to get confused when they are haut et bas.

advertisement

Back