advertisement

RBG RIP

Don't forget that in the event of a contested election result (which seems likely from both sides) the Supreme Court would only have 8 members, setting the stage for a 4/4 Trump/Biden result and unprecedented political deadlock. Perhaps it’s best to have a new member before the election to avoid that kind of scenario?
Why? So we can have Republican controlled SC steal another election, like Bush v. Gore?

Each day something comes along in news about America that makes me despise its "government" and electorate of hillbilly deplorables more even than I had thought to be the maximum possible only the day before... So now there will be another fascist on the SC... What does it take for the civilised world to bring them down? Banning abortion? Banning gay marriage? Making it illegal to be gay? Building concentration camps for black people in Alabama? My guess is that even if they did all that then UK, Germany, France, Australia, Japan etc etc would continue to do business with them. Iran, get those centrifuges spinning!
Says a citizen of an advanced country, where an educated and enlightened electorate voted for Brexit, BoJo and "Hostile Environment."

I think they should but:

1. Are they committed to it?
2. Can they do it?
3. Are there any downsides (long-term)?

I seem to remember the issue coming up early in Trump's reign, and it was not straightforward.
I think there is a growing concensus that increasing SC number is the only way to protect US from sliding into theocracy.

If Democrats take the Presidency, hold the House and win the Senate, they will need to eliminate the Senate filibuster to change a lot of SC conventions, as stated above.

Downside, of course, is a Republican response in kind next time they are in control.

Each day something comes along in news about America that makes me despise its "government" and electorate of hillbilly deplorables more even than I had thought to be the maximum possible only the day before... So now there will be another fascist on the SC... What does it take for the civilised world to bring them down? Banning abortion? Banning gay marriage? Making it illegal to be gay? Building concentration camps for black people in Alabama? My guess is that even if they did all that then UK, Germany, France, Australia, Japan etc etc would continue to do business with them. Iran, get those centrifuges spinning!
Are you advocating Iran nukes America, ‘cos that’s what it reads like?

I will say one unpopular but obvious thing.

Notorious RGB had an opportunity to retire during 8 years of the Obama presidency, actually protecting her legacy and immense achievements. She chose to risk it all.

People at the top of their profession, with crowds of adoring fans have a REALLY hard time stepping aside.

I think there is a growing concensus that increasing SC number is the only way to protect US from sliding into theocracy.

If Democrats take the Presidency, hold the House and win the Senate, they will need to eliminate the Senate filibuster to change a lot of SC conventions, as stated above.

Downside, of course, is a Republican response in kind next time they are in control.
Thanks. I hope they do whatever is necessary. After Trump, and the total corruption of the Republican Party, it would be dangerously naive to put any faith in a return to "civility" and "bipartisanship".

Your other comment that RGB could have retired under Obama but chose to risk everything was all over left Twitter earlier. It might be ungracious to say it, so soon after her death, but it does seem like a valid point.

Says a citizen of an advanced country, where an educated and enlightened electorate voted for Brexit, BoJo and "Hostile Environment."

Someone in a country that voted a rapist serial liar racist homophobic criminal with mafia mates in as so called president and has armed militias in camouflage fatigues setting illegal road blocks to check for "lefties", Black Lives Matter protesters etc and with the police standing by and watching is in no position to talk on this!

Why? So we can have Republican controlled SC steal another election, like Bush v. Gore?

For the reason I stated - unprecedented political deadlock due to a tied SC decision on the election result will likely ensue if an appointment isn't made before the election, which will further push the US towards civil war. I think it comes down to that - either a result which one party won't like, or mass viloence/civil war. If that's the choice, I'd say the former is preferable.

.....Building concentration camps for black people in Alabama? My guess is that even if they did all that then UK, Germany, France, Australia, Japan etc etc would continue to do business with them. Iran, get those centrifuges spinning!

Two points, one America already has concentration camps for black people, they are called “prisons” however, mindful that this is racist, it’s being extended to all poor people black or white.
Second point is that it is a really bad idea to have a military dictatorship like Iran with nuclear weapons.

Someone in a country that voted a rapist serial liar racist homophobic criminal with mafia mates in as so called president and has armed militias in camouflage fatigues setting illegal road blocks to check for "lefties", Black Lives Matter protesters etc and with the police standing by and watching is in no position to talk on this!

come on boys “whataboutism” gets us nowhere.

Are you advocating Iran nukes America, ‘cos that’s what it reads like?

I believe many who share your perverse right wing beliefs would, if asked should America nuke Iran shout out "HELL YEAH!!"
I fully endorse the right of any country to do whatever is required to defend the nation against hostile foreign forces.
The only way Iran can assure that America will not attack it is the prospect of mutually assured destruction.

That America patently has some unwritten expectation that any country not its puppet should voluntarily keep itself weak enough in defence capabilities to be swatted like a fly any time America should choose is amongst the most twisted doctrines I can imagine.

Two points, one America already has concentration camps for black people, they are called “prisons” however, mindful that this is racist, it’s being extended to all poor people black or white.
Second point is that it is a really bad idea to have a military dictatorship like Iran with nuclear weapons.

But not a de facto near fascist trump America to have thousands? A country with an official policy of "full spectrum dominance" over any and all other nations?

I believe many who share your perverse right wing beliefs would, if asked should America nuke Iran shout out "HELL YEAH!!"
I fully endorse the right of any country to do whatever is required to defend the nation against hostile foreign forces.
The only way Iran can assure that America will not attack it is the prospect of mutually assured destruction.

That America patently has some unwritten expectation that any country not its puppet should voluntarily keep itself weak enough in defence capabilities to be swatted like a fly any time America should choose is amongst the most twisted doctrines I can imagine.
Again, your foaming at the mouth hatred is covering your computer screen with stinky spittle.

I bet you go through a lot of sanitizer...for your screen.

Thanks. I hope they do whatever is necessary. After Trump, and the total corruption of the Republican Party, it would be dangerously naive to put any faith in a return to "civility" and "bipartisanship".

Your other comment that RGB could have retired under Obama but chose to risk everything was all over left Twitter earlier. It might be ungracious to say it, so soon after her death, but it does seem like a valid point.
She is a political figure of the highest caliber. Grace has nothing to do with it. She gambled and lost - and that decision has pushed the country closer to chaos.

advertisement

Back