advertisement

RBG RIP

That was an election broadcast on behalf of the republican party. Still proud of your country?
More of the above to come if your countrymen re-elect trump.
I am proud of being an American and believe that my country will get better...regardless of the endless stream of hatred of self-appointed judges, whose sense of self is entirely dependent on their hatred of USA.

Your time will be better spent concentrating on the historic (and current) sins of your own country, of which there is a multitude. In fact, the world remembers the centuries of British domination with...less than gratitude.

I am proud of being an American and believe that my country will get better...regardless of the endless stream of hatred of self-appointed judges, whose sense of self is entirely dependent on their hatred.

I could post some pics of Vietnamese kids with the flesh hanging off them after a napalm attack by your beloved country but you will no doubt believe that "the country you live in has god on its side" as Dylan warned...

I sincerely hope things do get better and America can pull itself out of the shame it lingers under at the moment but this will only happen if Bidden wins (330million people and Bidden and trump are the best you can find?:eek: Kamala!!). if the orange shit gibbon wins it's curtains for America and unfortunately the collateral damage to the rest of the world will be huge. It could even mean the 3rd WW.
Give us back the America that gave us jazz and rock 'n roll FFS!

I think there is a growing concensus that increasing SC number is the only way to protect US from sliding into theocracy.

If Democrats take the Presidency, hold the House and win the Senate, they will need to eliminate the Senate filibuster to change a lot of SC conventions, as stated above.

Downside, of course, is a Republican response in kind next time they are in control.

I’ve never seen anyone suggest the US is sliding into theocracy except you in your post. What a funny view to hold!

I’ve never seen anyone suggest the US is sliding into theocracy except you in your post. What a funny view to hold!
Well, I guess you haven't seen much.

Alternative is that you are a theocrat? So that a ban on abortion, even in case of rape or incest, school prayer, oppression of non-traditional sexuality and gender expression and supression of non christian religions is just the natural way and God's will.

I could post some pics of Vietnamese kids with the flesh hanging off them after a napalm attack by your beloved country but you will no doubt believe that "the country you live in has god on its side" as Dylan warned...

I sincerely hope things do get better and America can pull itself out of the shame it lingers under at the moment but this will only happen if Bidden wins (330million people and Bidden and trump are the best you can find?:eek: Kamala!!). if the orange shit gibbon wins it's curtains for America and unfortunately the collateral damage to the rest of the world will be huge. It could even mean the 3rd WW.
Give us back the America that gave us jazz and rock 'n roll FFS!
Attend to your own house garbage please. Give us back Britain that gave us the Beatles and Stones.

Attend to your own house garbage please. Give us back Britain that gave us the Beatles and Stones.

Unfortunately we are it seems... Whilst Beatles and Stones were a great antidote they still had signs saying "No Blacks or Irish" on some B&B doors back then....

Thought-provoking? The only thing it proves is that tinfoil hattery is as prevalent on the Left as it is on the Right (possibly moreso, going by the general air of hysteria).
Didn't Montesquieu argue that democracy is essentially unstable and will devolve into tyranny in short order?

Didn't Montesquieu argue that democracy is essentially unstable and will devolve into tyranny in short order?

Probably correct too. After all, we’ve not been trying it for very long and the only things it’s moved onto are Communism and Fascism, so not very promising so far.

Not quite. Montesquieu's biggest contribution to political philosophy was the notion of separation of powers, based on his conclusions about the unhealthiness of concentration of power and authority in one individual or institution.

The answer he came up with was very different to British style, post-1689 constitutional monarchy. It was all a bit radical and French - which is why we Brits have always been suspicious of it, a view many here considered vindicated after the bloodbath of the French Revolution. But the US Constitution was built on Montesquieu's separation of powers concept and no-one could argue that it hasn't been incredibly robust or successful over the last 250 years (the Civil War period notwithstanding).

In my view the biggest issue facing the US right now isn’t Trump, or BLM, or neo-Nazis, or even Covid, but a widespread breakdown in respect for fundamentals like the rule of law and respect for democracy. Wherever you place the blame for that, and whether you argue all the problems of the world result from a conspiracy between big money and politicians in rigging the game against ordinary people, or of a grievance industry designed and run by Marxists to undermine the Constitution and bring down the state (what colour is your tinfoil hat?) the US definitely has a fundamental problem where each side doesn't trust the other that they will respect the electoral process or the operation of the justice system - indeed we are now in a situation where neither side might accept the coming election result if it doesn't go their preferred way. Democracy depends on the losers accepting that they they lost, on the proviso that they will get another chance to make the case in the next electoral cycle. In a society where there are more guns than people, any move away from that basic principle could quickly get out of hand.

In that context you'd think Biden's 'Everyone calm down', 'Let's make America normal again' pitch would get widespread traction, but he's clearly physically and mentally fragile, and the people around him aren't doing him any favours; indeed, US electorate would be fools to believe that the rioters and cancellers would consider their work done and simply fade away if Biden won the election.

I don't know what the answer is but I have faith to some extent in the American system. Separation of powers as well as the US's federal structure was designed specifically to prevent a notional Trump from wielding untrammeled authority and whatever the eventual ideological make-up of the Supreme Court, I would have faith that justices of whatever stripe would uphold the central tenets of the US Constitution.

Maybe that's a naive view but the composition of the Supreme Court has swung both ways over the country's short history without the doors falling off, and I have the view that they won't fall off this time.

Last edited:
Thought-provoking? The only thing it proves is that tinfoil hattery is as prevalent on the Left as it is on the Right (possibly moreso, going by the general air of hysteria).

I disagree, a lot of people are completely in the dark as to how the judiciary really operate.

I have had prolonged dealings with the highest end of the British judiciary, court of appeal lord justices.

Unbelievable how inept they were, even the master of the rolls didn't understand the f'in law he was exercising.

It was hilarious to see their facial expressions when I aired my disapproval of what they had decided.

They didn't even understand the judgement that was being appealed by the claimant.

I remember seeing Jeremy Paxman interviewing the MoR on tv, tip toeing around so as to not upset the legal titan.

I remember seeing the MoR crumple up when I challenged his decision to have me evicted from my home.

I won a house of lords hearing through that exchange and gave me another 8 months retaining my home rent free. :)

Never fear the law just watch over their shoulders and pick up on their inept mistakes.

My civil case law came just as the new "Civil Procedure Rules" had been rolled out, the caution was don't get wrong footed, very wise advice.

_369950_philllips300.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/archive/2519883.stm

I disagree, a lot of people are completely in the dark as to how the judiciary really operate .... civil case law came just as the new "Civil Procedure Rules" had been rolled out, the caution was don't get wrong footed, very wise advice.

What's this all got to do with my comment on the outpourings of hysteria/conspiracy theory nonsense BTL in the Groan?

I see Alaska Republican senator Lisa Murkowski says she will not support appointing a nominee to fill the supreme court vacancy following Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s death. So one peeling away already, I think/hope there will be more. The worse Trump's prospects look, the more of them might cast an eye nearer their own futures - where is Romney on this?

I see Alaska Republican senator Lisa Murkowski says she will not support appointing a nominee to fill the supreme court vacancy following Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s death. So one peeling away already, I think/hope there will be more. The worse Trump's prospects look, the more of them might cast an eye nearer their own futures - where is Romney on this?

Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski have both come out against filling the seat before the election. Just need two more.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carlie...ot-supreme-court-after-ginsburg/#5963a9cd19eb

Collins said the next president should appoint the next justice. Murkowski said the next justice shouldn't appointed until after the election. Two different things, it seems to me.

Collins said the next president should appoint the next justice. Murkowski said the next justice shouldn't appointed until after the election. Two different things, it seems to me.
Both of them said there should be no vote before election.

I think both will fall in line and vote for one after the election, in the lame duck session.

advertisement

Back