advertisement

Raye

Martyn Miles

pfm Member
Not being a follower of modern music, I was intrigued by a slot in the Today programme on R4.
Apart from Adele, no other female singers appear to actually sing in the accepted sense.
Much too much processing and heavy use of reverb.
I’ve never liked dance music, or similar.
Perhaps that’s the way these days.
Listening to Raye’s music was a breath of fresh air, though there were a few processed tracks.
Oh well, back to Simon & Garfunkel...

Not being a follower of modern music, I was intrigued by a slot in the Today programme on R4.
Apart from Adele, no other female singers appear to actually sing in the accepted sense.
Listening to Raye’s music was a breath of fresh air, though there were a few processed tracks.

Try Lady Blackbird & report back. About the best singer I’ve heard in the last 30 years.

Richard should play vinyl of her on his Blackbird, and maybe a Sumiko Blackbird for a triple. New one on me so I’ll look LB up.

Thoroughly enjoyed RAYE at the BRIT's on Saturday.

A real class act for a change.

There is something about the dynamics and timing of her singing which sets her apart.

Couple that with personality and showmanship and she can deliver an electrifying live performance.

A bit of an Amy Winehouse tribute act vibe going on there.
I used to sometimes see that Amy Winehouse across the room in the Good Mixer on a Friday night. Or at least I'd see her hair. She was quite short. Obviously I was too cool to get excited and would just make a not very witty aside to my companions.

I once queued up behind that Graham Coxon from Blur in the all night garage. He had his skateboard and was buying a jar of coffee.

My life was more rock and roll in those days.

I find her music boring and generic. I was expecting something distinct and carving a new groove from the hype, but it is warmed up vanilla from the last couple of decades. Her voice is nothing special to my ears.
In discussion with my Daughter and eldest Granddaughter, we all agreed that Raye had nothing to offer to us, but adds to the Pop sound of recent years. Bland and banal. Lots of people like that sort of thing.

In discussion with my Daughter and eldest Granddaughter, we all agreed that Raye had nothing to offer to us, but adds to the Pop sound of recent years. Bland and banal. Lots of people like that sort of thing.

I’m amazed you all came to that conclusion, did you listen to her words?

My 21st Century Blues is a surprisingly dark and powerful album. Works as a coherent whole too.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
@Tony L

My family, or more specifically, The Women in my family are all Feminists. They have strong views on everything!
I think that such as Ice Cream Man may have less impact if the topic is lived with on a daily basis. i.e. Men are abusers of Women. The subject is nothing new, and hardly a revelation, if you are a woman.

I think it is worth noting that Raye hasn’t written all of the music and lyrics to her debut album.

advertisement

Back