1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Raspberry Pi

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by TheManWhoBuiltTheMoon, Nov 5, 2019.

1. I’m thinking of getting one of these pre built as a streamer. Just wasn’t to know if i can installed software for Logitech media and use iPeng as my remote.

2. Mike Hanson

Mike Hanson Really?

Absolutely. I recommend PiCorePlayer, which is very easy to install and configure. Once you get it up and running as a player, you also have the option to download and run LMS.

The Pi has a headphone output jack, but I suggest you get an add-on card to improve connection options. There are a bunch from HiFiBerry, like this digital output.

tomek likes this.
  3. andrewsutton

andrewsutton pfm Member

I have an IQaudIO hat on a Pi.
    Running it through my Densen DAC it is indistinguishable from cds.
    I don’t know how it does it.
    I have no idea how it is programmed but one of my lads had it done in no time.
    Give it a go.
    Cheers Andy.

4. Mike Hanson

Mike Hanson Really?

It doesn't have much to do. Just stream data out the S/PDIF port as if it were a CD player. :)

Julf likes this.
  5. This ones pre built. There’s a guy selling it on eBay. Nice little box too. It has an IQaudio Pi-Digi+ H.A.T on it that gives co-axial and optical outputs (SPDIF and Toslink)

There is also a 3.5mm headphones jack

6. Shadders

Shadders pfm Member

7. Julf

Julf Evil brother of Mark V Shaney

For audio, a RPi 3 is way more than enough (I use 1's and 2's for audio without problems). You only need a 4 if you want to do really heavy resampling, DSP and EQ at the same time.

8. Marchbanks

Marchbanks Golly, do I ever have a lot of soul!

Here’s my portable setup. I take it with me when I’m away from home, plug it in, tether it and my iPad to my phone and have 300 CDs, Spotify, iPlayer and internet radio either through an amp or my iPad with headphones - all controlled by iPeng.

[​IMG]

Mike Hanson likes this.
  9. deebster

deebster Half Man Half Biscuit

Nice

Never really noticed how tichy those things are.

Think I want one.

10. Mike Hanson

Mike Hanson Really?

Absolutely, the Pi 3B is plenty sufficient for this task. As for that USB problem on the 4, they've released a firmware update to resolve it.

Julf likes this.
  11. suzywong

suzywong Shifting 0s & 1s since 1968

I saw that one. I like the case, haven’t seen one of those before. The installed Volumio software will “do the biz”, but you can always change it.

I don’t see any mention of PSU.

FWIW, I’ve got two RPi3+IQDigi+ HATs, all running Moode Audio software.

12. bugbear

bugbear pfm Member

13. I’ve never heard of the volumo. Would like to run Logitech as I’ve been using the iPeng app for years. What sort of psu would I be needing?

14. Julf

Basically a simple 5 V USB supply - the only issue is the current capability (that is why a normal phone charger won't work).

If you want to run LMS, there is also PiCorePlayer

15. Mike Hanson

Mike Hanson Really?

If you're feeding digital out via coax or toslink, then it's absolutely not an issue. Any Pi power supply will do. As Julf mentioned, many USB wall warts supply 5VDC, but not all have enough dependable current for the Pi. Just be sure you get one that's rated for use with them.

Some people get silly about using linear supplies with Pi's. I suggest you ignore that nonsense. ;)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    booja30 and Julf like this.
  16. It'll be digi out via coax to my DAC

17. Shadders

Shadders pfm Member

Hi,
    Are you sure you are on the right forum ?
    Regards,
    Shadders.

18. suzywong

suzywong Shifting 0s & 1s since 1968

www.volumio.org, but other apps are available, Moode happens to be the one I use. I think that you can set up an LMS system, but have no idea how (piCoreplayer perhaps?).

Regarding PSUs, if the one on ebay that you’re looking at is the same one that I’m looking at then the listing doesn’t mention or show a PS, but you can always pick up the official RPi PS from Amazon for around a tenner.

Julf likes this.
  19. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

20. Julf

Indeed. Linear supplies for high-speed digital circuits is a pretty bad idea.