advertisement

Raspberry Pi

I’m thinking of getting one of these pre built as a streamer. Just wasn’t to know if i can installed software for Logitech media and use iPeng as my remote.

Absolutely. I recommend PiCorePlayer, which is very easy to install and configure. Once you get it up and running as a player, you also have the option to download and run LMS.

The Pi has a headphone output jack, but I suggest you get an add-on card to improve connection options. There are a bunch from HiFiBerry, like this digital output.

I have an IQaudIO hat on a Pi.
Running it through my Densen DAC it is indistinguishable from cds.
I don’t know how it does it.
I have no idea how it is programmed but one of my lads had it done in no time.
Give it a go.
Cheers Andy.

Absolutely. I recommend PiCorePlayer, which is very easy to install and configure. Once you get it up and running as a player, you also have the option to download and run LMS.

The Pi has a headphone output jack, but I suggest you get an add-on card to improve connection options. There are a bunch from HiFiBerry, like this digital output.
This ones pre built. There’s a guy selling it on eBay. Nice little box too. It has an IQaudio Pi-Digi+ H.A.T on it that gives co-axial and optical outputs (SPDIF and Toslink)

There is also a 3.5mm headphones jack

For audio, a RPi 3 is way more than enough (I use 1's and 2's for audio without problems). You only need a 4 if you want to do really heavy resampling, DSP and EQ at the same time.

Here’s my portable setup. I take it with me when I’m away from home, plug it in, tether it and my iPad to my phone and have 300 CDs, Spotify, iPlayer and internet radio either through an amp or my iPad with headphones - all controlled by iPeng.

49019666938_7215d4dd50_b.jpg

Hi,
There are different models - but here is a write up of the latest version 4- has a charging issue with USB connection - only some cables/chargers etc.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/raspb...-two-months-in-heres-what-ive-learned-so-far/

There is also a heat issue for the Raspberry Pi 4 B :

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/07/22/raspberry_pi_4_too_hot_to_handle/

So, if it is a basic requirement, then a Raspberry Pi 3 B is sufficient.
Absolutely, the Pi 3B is plenty sufficient for this task. As for that USB problem on the 4, they've released a firmware update to resolve it.

This ones pre built. There’s a guy selling it on eBay. Nice little box too. It has an IQaudio Pi-Digi+ H.A.T on it that gives co-axial and optical outputs (SPDIF and Toslink)

There is also a 3.5mm headphones jack

I saw that one. I like the case, haven’t seen one of those before. The installed Volumio software will “do the biz”, but you can always change it.

I don’t see any mention of PSU.

FWIW, I’ve got two RPi3+IQDigi+ HATs, all running Moode Audio software.

I saw that one. I like the case, haven’t seen one of those before. The installed Volumio software will “do the biz”, but you can always change it.

I’ve never heard of the volumo. Would like to run Logitech as I’ve been using the iPeng app for years. What sort of psu would I be needing?

I’ve never heard of the volumo. Would like to run Logitech as I’ve been using the iPeng app for years. What sort of psu would I be needing?

Basically a simple 5 V USB supply - the only issue is the current capability (that is why a normal phone charger won't work).

If you want to run LMS, there is also PiCorePlayer

If you're feeding digital out via coax or toslink, then it's absolutely not an issue. Any Pi power supply will do. As Julf mentioned, many USB wall warts supply 5VDC, but not all have enough dependable current for the Pi. Just be sure you get one that's rated for use with them.

Some people get silly about using linear supplies with Pi's. I suggest you ignore that nonsense. ;)

Last edited:

www.volumio.org, but other apps are available, Moode happens to be the one I use. I think that you can set up an LMS system, but have no idea how (piCoreplayer perhaps?).

Regarding PSUs, if the one on ebay that you’re looking at is the same one that I’m looking at then the listing doesn’t mention or show a PS, but you can always pick up the official RPi PS from Amazon for around a tenner.

advertisement

Back