advertisement

Raspberry Pi Advice

I will say if you listen to analogue radio avoid the powerline adapters, they put so much RF into your mains (because that's how they work) they can interfere with radio, especially shortwave for a good distance from your home, there's someone near me with them and I can tell if they are using the internet by the interference I get, dam things should be banned.

I don't think I've listened to Analogue Radio in the last 20 years.

Cheers BB

@Brown Bottle Moode Audio will work but you would need something like BubbleUPnP to stream to your Raspberry Pi as Moode is only a player distro and can not access Qobuz /Tidal / Spotify directly . In my case all of my players are part of a Logitech Media Server network and Moode Audio can enable Squeezeplay for any player and then LMS does the connection through specific pluins for each streaming service . This works well for me as all of the various players around the house all connect to LMS which gives me my music and things like BBC Sounds , Radio Paradise plus the streamers.

If you already have a Raspberry Pi 3 and are going to get a Pi 4 then when you get the Pi 4 you could use the Pi 3 as your LMS Server and sit it close to your router and wire connect it . It is easy to use Picoreplayer free distro to set it up with LMS then just add the plugins and this send to your Pi4 player.

I know this sounds complicated but seriously it is not and if you want things even simpler then use (like I do ) Max2play distro which will just allow you to click tabs and set up things easily . You have to pay ofr a license but it is only around E25 for three years so not a fortune. If you need any help at all with set up please get in touch as I can do these things with my eyes closed I do not understand them or know what is being done but i know the set up very well .

@Brown Bottle

I know this sounds complicated but seriously it is not and if you want things even simpler then use (like I do ) Max2play distro which will just allow you to click tabs and set up things easily . You have to pay ofr a license but it is only around E25 for three years so not a fortune. If you need any help at all with set up please get in touch as I can do these things with my eyes closed I do not understand them or know what is being done but i know the set up very well .

Just a small correction to Andrew's post, no licence for Max2Play is required if one only wants LMS and / or Squeezelite.

M2P offer other facilities which they have developed themselves, the licence fee enables the user to incorporate these into the distro.

ronnie

Just a small correction to Andrew's post, no licence for Max2Play is required if one only wants LMS and / or Squeezelite.

M2P offer other facilities which they have developed themselves, the licence fee enables the user to incorporate these into the distro.

ronnie

As always Ronnie the voice of reason , thank you for the correction I have never used it that way as i have always paid for a license so was not aware that LMS and Squeezelite just worked anyway . Will have to keep this in mind as it then offers a very decent alternative to Picoreplayer.

Sorry Ronnie as I say i have only ever used this distro with a full Licence what are the nag screens ?

Some of this is getting above my pay scale now. Volumio seems popular and gets recommended on a lot of You Tube videos I’ve seen.

Cheers BB

Some of this is getting above my pay scale now. Volumio seems popular and gets recommended on a lot of You Tube videos I’ve seen.

Cheers BB

Only issue with Volumio is that for streaming services like Tidal and Qobuz you have to pay a monthly fee .

PiCoreplayer.

The OP says he is not technically gifted, LMS and PiCoreplayer do need a degree confidence in dealing with computing. There are detailed instructions on the web but it is easy to take a wrong turning.

Once you get it running it is very good, there are so many useful plugins. Once I got it running I have not had any need or desire to change.

The OP says he is not technically gifted, LMS and PiCoreplayer do need a degree confidence in dealing with computing. There are detailed instructions on the web but it is easy to take a wrong turning.

Once you get it running it is very good, there are so many useful plugins. Once I got it running I have not had any need or desire to change.
I found Volumio the easiest to get going and build a bit of confidence, for non IT guys burning images to SD cards is a foreign language when you start. Once you get the hang of some jargon and mess with Volumio a bit, buying a couple extra SD cards and trying out different OS is where I'd move onto and then decide what OS/Plugins suit best and whether a £sub is worth it or you can use a workaround and pay squat.

Yeah most versions have WiFi and Bluetooth included. If your router gives a decent signal into the hifi room should work fine, worth a try anyway, if it’s weak or a long way away you’d be as well going with Del suggestion of mains power line wifi adapters.
I have no problem streaming 4k video over a mesh network from my NAS to a Pi 4 running KODI. You do need a good wi fi signal, though.

I like Moode out of all the Pi Players. Piece of piss to set up and configure. Note that support support for some streaming services that have closed APIs (like spotify) is informal and that, unlike the boxes from Cambridge Audio, Linn et al, not guaranteed in perpetuity

I have never got Volumio to play with my 6000 album library. Kodi can also be set to play audio bit perfect, but isn't great run headless.

LMS and picoreplayer are pretty nifty, but ran into problems with HD ALAC files last time I tried it. Not a common use case, but as an Apple refugee with a massive library, a pretty critical one for me.

BB if you want to try a pair of power those powerline ethernet plugs I think I have a pair in the spares bin you're welcome to, dead easy to set up literally plug them in and go.

I use a TP-Link AC1750 range extender. My TV connected on 5GHz band supports BBC iPlayer UHD streams.

Our previous range extender struggled to do SD in the same location. The receiver in it wasn't sensitive enough. The new extender delivers virtually the same download speed as the router measured in the same room as the router.

BB if you want to try a pair of power those powerline ethernet plugs I think I have a pair in the spares bin you're welcome to, dead easy to set up literally plug them in and go.

That’s very kind Matt, I’m away overnight for my daughters graduation tomorrow and I’ve forgotten my glasses. I’ll PM you on Wednesday.

Cheers BB

advertisement

Back