advertisement

Raspberry Pi Advice

I’m currently using Spotify on my Skybox for streaming. It’s not bad but I’d like to try Quboz for better quality.

I’m not technically gifted but I think I’ve got my head around the Raspberry Pi, I’ll be running it via USB to a Topping D10 and then to the DAC in my Rotel RA1570.

The only fly in the ointment is that I can’t run the Pi hard wired to the router, that’s in a different room and it tortuous to get a cable from it.

Does anyone have the same problem or know a solution?

The alternative is to run a laptop instead but I’d need to set it up and put it away every time I wanted to use it, I’d soon revert back to Spotify, I think.

Cheers BB

It extends the Ethernet reach through your electrical circuit. Plug next to the router then plug next to your hifi. They work very well.Often known as powerplugs.

Can you run the Pi via WiFi?

Cheers BB
Yeah most versions have WiFi and Bluetooth included. If your router gives a decent signal into the hifi room should work fine, worth a try anyway, if it’s weak or a long way away you’d be as well going with Del suggestion of mains power line wifi adapters.

I will say if you listen to analogue radio avoid the powerline adapters, they put so much RF into your mains (because that's how they work) they can interfere with radio, especially shortwave for a good distance from your home, there's someone near me with them and I can tell if they are using the internet by the interference I get, dam things should be banned.

Been using them for fifteen years now for both audio and video. Never had a moment's trouble.

Talk to any ham radio operator about them, how they pass EMC testing is beyond me, no need for them now with mesh networks and the like.

You can literally see the network activity, it's the RF equivalent of opening your windows and playing loud music.

20220404103959-cf782628-me.jpg

I set up my Raspberry Pi streamer a couple of months ago now and Wifi has worked fine. Certainly worth a go at no additional cost.

It has dropped Wifi a few times but I have a feeling that is the connection from my source rather than the Pi that's at fault. Turning the wifi on and off on the source reconnects it straight away.

I run a Pi3 with Picoreplayer in our gazebo at the bottom of the garden about 20m from the router via Wi-Fi and never had an issue since I installed it last September. Worth a try, esp as you can add a Wi-Fi extender if needed. Mind you I have only one wall between the router and Pi so that no doubt helps.

Something else to consider, is it a Pi3 or 4 you are using, the Pi3 usb output is noisy whereas the Pi4s usb is clean with no power on it, so if you want better audio quality there’s a first step.

Also if you want to go Qobuz first thing you need to check is their catalogue, I gave it up as they just didn’t have the depth of electronic music catalogue that Spotify has, Spotify also has the better app and integration with other devices.

What OS are you using on your Pi? They can all sound different depending on how you implement them.

Would also make the suggestion even though currently it may be hard to source one if you plan to use USB get a Pi4 1 GB or 2 GB are fine . They make a huge difference in digital noise between the two the Pi 4 being excellent and I would only describe the Pi 3 as poor . This was the main reason I used Digihats for a digital signal out and in to DAC's as this was the best way to get a clean and quiet signal . I now use a Raspberry Pi 4 2GB loaded with Moode Audio Player (would say this is a very good choice for sound quality) USB to a Musical Fidelity 192 VLink then AES out to my DSP unit . I have tried this side by side against a fully set up Allo Digione Signature with Allo Shanti LPSU and I was not able to detect any real difference between them so the above is the one I use in my main system .

Would also make the suggestion even though currently it may be hard to source one if you plan to use USB get a Pi4 1 GB or 2 GB are fine . They make a huge difference in digital noise between the two the Pi 4 being excellent and I would only describe the Pi 3 as poor . This was the main reason I used Digihats for a digital signal out and in to DAC's as this was the best way to get a clean and quiet signal . I now use a Raspberry Pi 4 2GB loaded with Moode Audio Player (would say this is a very good choice for sound quality) USB to a Musical Fidelity 192 VLink then AES out to my DSP unit . I have tried this side by side against a fully set up Allo Digione Signature with Allo Shanti LPSU and I was not able to detect any real difference between them so the above is the one I use in my main system .

I had already decided I wanted Pi 4, I'd heard about the USB thing already. Operating system was going to be my next question. I'll only be using it for Quboz and Spotify, does that make a difference to wich OS I should use. I dare say people have their favourites?

Cheers BB

advertisement

Back