advertisement

Quest for the Best Amplifier

In my experience judging amps only gains credulity when it is partnered with certain speakers and also it is a matter of subjective personal taste.
I heard the ATC SIA2-100 amp connected to ATC SCM40 speakers playing Money by Pink Floyd. I also in the same day heard Hegel H160 amp connected to Amphion speakers playing the same Money by Pink Floyd. The first system sounded musical, compulsive and exciting. When the track picked up the tempo my god the system surely indicated the sudden increase in tempo, I started thinking what this system would do to my music collection. As to the second system all sounded correct, very balanced, had all the hi fi niceties but for me it was so bland, I felt if I had to listen to this system for a certain period I would fall asleep...! 😊🎶

I think the Supernait 3 is a superb box. If I wasn't into DIY it would be my amplifier of choice.

What I like about this box it has Naims signature PRaT in abundance but also brings out the decay in the music, so as well as producing the leading edge and body of the music you hear the end as well. This gives good coherence to the music so the individual players can be heard playing together with a sense of depth as well as width. This might not quite be the last word in detail or holographic imaging but it's still pretty good in that regard as well.

Add to that a good phono section and no need for a HiCap (I believe the internal supplies are already good enough) makes this a great buy (in my humble opinion)
What's interesting about the Supernait (all generations) and the Nait XS apparently, is that they are a significant departure from the power amp topology of the incumbent classic Naim amplifiers.
Instead of the psuedo-complimentary output stages of the classic amps, using only NPN transistors, they use a fully complimentary Sziklai output stage and also a cascode pair VAS stage.
I only discovered this info recently and am surprised it hasn't been discussed more in the DIY section of this forum, unless I've missed it somewhere. I suspect the above is why the Supernait sounds so good and punches above its weight.

I'm also guessing the latest "new classic" Naim designs follow on from this topology, though I can't say I've seen it mentioned anywhere.

In my experience judging amps only gains credulity when it is partnered with certain speakers and also it is a matter of subjective personal taste.
I heard the ATC SIA2-100 amp connected to ATC SCM40 speakers playing Money by Pink Floyd. I also in the same day heard Hegel H160 amp connected to Amphion speakers playing the same Money by Pink Floyd. The first system sounded musical, compulsive and exciting. When the track picked up the tempo my god the system surely indicated the sudden increase in tempo, I started thinking what this system would do to my music collection. As to the second system all sounded correct, very balanced, had all the hi fi niceties but for me it was so bland, I felt if I had to listen to this system for a certain period I would fall asleep...! 😊🎶
A pretty good way of choosing amps or anything else. I well remember a morning at Sounds of Music in Sussex where they left me with half a dozen CD players to try. They all did the job and if concentrating on the sound were fairly similar but with some I found my attention wandering whereas, somewhat surprisingly, with a Marantz SACD player my attention was glued to the music, all thought of comparisons banished. Quite why that was I really don’t know but it was repeatable; so much for a dedicated CD player being best.

What's interesting about the Supernait (all generations) and the Nait XS apparently, is that they are a significant departure from the power amp topology of the incumbent classic Naim amplifiers.
Instead of the psuedo-complimentary output stages of the classic amps, using only NPN transistors, they use a fully complimentary Sziklai output stage and also a cascode pair VAS stage.
I only discovered this info recently and am surprised it hasn't been discussed more in the DIY section of this forum, unless I've missed it somewhere. I suspect the above is why the Supernait sounds so good and punches above its weight.

I'm also guessing the latest "new classic" Naim designs follow on from this topology, though I can't say I've seen it mentioned anywhere.
Yes I noted exactly the same

Sziklai outputs started in the Nait5 and has continued in their integrated amps ever since as far as I know.

In my view this design offers a significant sound lift over the old quasi complementary design. And like you I'm guessing the newer standalone boxes follow this route too.

Bland probably means lack of get up and go or PRaT in Naim speak!

Mike would agree with you on the Hegel in his amplifier show down. And Hegel has been the darling of the reviewers so it shows what real value they bring to the table.

Shows the only pair of ears you can trust are your own 🤣

Bland probably means lack of get up and go or PRaT in Naim speak!

Mike would agree with you on the Hegel in his amplifier show down. And Hegel has been the darling of the reviewers so it shows what real value they bring to the table.

Shows the only pair of ears you can trust are your own 🤣
I would equate the term bland with tonal simplicity (versus rich or nuanced).

When talking about lack of PRaT, I would probably call that dull, borning, or sleepy.

Isn't the ATC waaaaaaaay pricier than the Hegel/Amphion-combo? It's like comparing a Rolls with a VW...

My experience with amps and speakers, combined with questionable tastes in music eventually led me to active speakers.

I used to play very bass heavy music at silly volume levels, but was always careful and never blew anything up.
But when I got my first expensive system around 2003 including a Krell Kav300iL and B&W N803’s, I blew the Krell amp. The B&W’s were quite a difficult load, dipping to around 3.2ohm if I remember correctly. The Krell was only rated to 4ohm.
Then another system I had was an older Krell Kav300i driving some PMC DB1i’s and I melted the voice coils on the bass drivers. I think what happened was I was playing loud music on New Year’s Eve. The bass drivers obviously cool the voice coils as they move, but we turned the system off and went to the pub for midnight and came back and the bass drivers were ceased.

I upgraded to PMC IB1’s and ended up with an Arcam A22 I took as a trade. This would shut down trying to drive the PMC’s if you went over moderate volumes and had no bass.

I then added a Krell FPB200 which was able to do 800 watts into 2ohm. This was an incredible pairing with the PMC’s. I could get night club or live concert volume levels with trouser flapping bass. It seemed that there was no limit to the systems ability. It would just get louder until you ran out of numbers on the volume dial, but remain in absolute control.
I would like to get a big pair of PMC’s and some Krell power amps and run them active someday.

A good active speaker takes the testing, demoing and hard work out of matching amp and speakers.
I had active ATC’s and now use PMC AML1’s. Source and pre amp become equally important though once you’ve got the amp and speaker pairing right.

What is the 'boxem' purifi

Familiar with the purifii band but not boxem?

To throw a spanner in the works, MC2 make great class A/B amplifiers capable of driving any load. The older ones can be found quite cheap.
I have a pair of MC450’s that drive my subs, bridged.
They are the smallest of the MC range and deliver 250w/ch into 8ohm, 450w/ch into 4ohm and 675w/ch into 2ohm. They can be bridged to put out 1350w into 4ohm. They are quite large and weight 20kg each.

The amps have fans, but they can be modified with Noctua fans and run almost silently. My Sky Q box is louder. The amps fans will speed up if necessary when playing loud.

I’ve seen people use these or variants of them in Hifi. Dynaudio, Quest and Turbo sound all had re-badged versions.

• Dynamics
  • Presence / palpability
  • Energized air
  • Soundstage
  • Pinpoint imaging
  • Deep, controlled bass
  • Natural highs (extended, but not shrill)
  • Tonal richness and accuracy
  • Enjoyable at all typical volumes (anything beyond 65 dB)
  • Sense of Scale
  • That Live! sound
  • Lyricism and musicality
  • Flow
  • Emotion
  • Etc.

All of the above , present in Prima Luna Evo 400 monoblocks... accept no substitutes. They are the best amplifiers...regardless of price...:cool:☺️

Well...ye did ask..😍

b6036cde-f179-464d-90ba-c4d03c0749e8.png

advertisement

Back