advertisement

Quad Elite QSP vs 606/707/909

And yeah, they all have far higher input sensitivity than most power amps. Bit of a nightmare with my class A sugden pre amp.

Hate hum..
Ho hum :)

I had a QSP on my desk a foot away for many months and never noticed any hum at all, apart from me to the odd tune. I live in a newish house and the leccy seems to be a good clean supply. I lived in an old farmhouse for a while, the lights would dim and record player slow down and speed up around tea time.

Ho hum :)

I had a QSP on my desk a foot away for many months and never noticed any hum at all, apart from me to the odd tune. I live in a newish house and the leccy seems to be a good clean supply. I lived in an old farmhouse for a while, the lights would dim and record player slow down and speed up around tea time.
My 909 is quiet...the amp at work buzzes! Only hear it when close to amp..I find hum more annoying..

I am a bit confused about the comments on gain on the 909. I have had 44 pre with 606 power, later moved to 99 pre & 909 power, & currently 99 pre & pair of 99 mono power amps. The only problem on gain is the increase at lower levels on the pre which start at +5db & reduce as you go higher on volume to +4db, then +3db, +2bd & finally +1db. A table of these increases was shown in the 44 pre manual but had been dropped from the manual by the 99 pre (& possibly earlier). However I obtained a copy of the table from Rob Flain, the service manager some years ago. In our discussion he explained why my 99 tuner might be at a different level - in fact it is probably caused by me having a boosted FM signal which goes to different rooms in the house. At my normal listening level it is at 14 on the 99 pre volume with steps of +3db, which is a bit too high but not a major problem. On other sources it depends on the music. CDs are generally at 16 & vinyl at 17 which is the last point in the +3db, dropping to +2db at 18 on the pre. I only listen to classical music where the volume on each disc can vary quite a lot. On LSO CDs the lever is quite a bit lower than other makes.

With regard to the OP's query, I would go for the 909 out of the models listed. My preference is the 99 mono power amps but they are very rare because everyone liked the 909. There were some problems with the early 909 models from China but this was quickly corrected. My original 99 power amps had a problem with getting very hot but again this was quickly corrected. Since then I have had no problems & they were bought in 2007, so now 14 years old.

I am a bit confused about the comments on gain on the 909. I have had 44 pre with 606 power, later moved to 99 pre & 909 power, & currently 99 pre & pair of 99 mono power amps. The only problem on gain is the increase at lower levels on the pre which start at +5db & reduce as you go higher on volume to +4db, then +3db, +2bd & finally +1db. A table of these increases was shown in the 44 pre manual but had been dropped from the manual by the 99 pre (& possibly earlier). However I obtained a copy of the table from Rob Flain, the service manager some years ago. In our discussion he explained why my 99 tuner might be at a different level - in fact it is probably caused by me having a boosted FM signal which goes to different rooms in the house. At my normal listening level it is at 14 on the 99 pre volume with steps of +3db, which is a bit too high but not a major problem. On other sources it depends on the music. CDs are generally at 16 & vinyl at 17 which is the last point in the +3db, dropping to +2db at 18 on the pre. I only listen to classical music where the volume on each disc can vary quite a lot. On LSO CDs the lever is quite a bit lower than other makes.

With regard to the OP's query, I would go for the 909 out of the models listed. My preference is the 99 mono power amps but they are very rare because everyone liked the 909. There were some problems with the early 909 models from China but this was quickly corrected. My original 99 power amps had a problem with getting very hot but again this was quickly corrected. Since then I have had no problems & they were bought in 2007, so now 14 years old.
I found rob very helpful too...quads customer service is terrific..could I suggest something? Have you tried a schiit sys as a pre amp? They are very cheap..I have just got one for my quad 909 and just bought another for my second system..they are a passive pre amp with only two inputs..if you were to try one I would be very interested in your opinion..I sometimes use my cdp2 as a pre amp with good results and sometimes use my mf htp as a two channel pre amp with good results..but this little cheap schiit sys is making me revaluate my thoughts on pre amps..cheers

..could I suggest something? Have you tried a schiit sys as a pre amp? They are very cheap..I have just got one for my quad 909 and just bought another for my second system..they are a passive pre amp with only two inputs..if you were to try one I would be very interested in your opinion..I sometimes use my cdp2 as a pre amp with good results......

Thanks for your suggestion but I need my 99 pre-amp to power my Quad 99 tuner & for the vinyl input. Also I have 3 sources, the third being an Oppo 105 which I use for both audio & video - mainly opera performances. I still have a Quad 99 cdp2 (to complete the 99 set) but I no longer use it because of the Oppo, which also has a DAC input I can use for internet radio through my iPod or iPad. I still listen to Radio 3 through my 99 tuner as I think some of the live performances from the studio are very good - but for many of the programmes they do too much talking.

Thanks for your suggestion but I need my 99 pre-amp to power my Quad 99 tuner & for the vinyl input. Also I have 3 sources, the third being an Oppo 105 which I use for both audio & video - mainly opera performances. I still have a Quad 99 cdp2 (to complete the 99 set) but I no longer use it because of the Oppo, which also has a DAC input I can use for internet radio through my iPod or iPad. I still listen to Radio 3 through my 99 tuner as I think some of the live performances from the studio are very good - but for many of the programmes they do too much talking.
Far far too much talking! Lol

Absolutely not!!! Either you misunderstood him or he told you a pack of lies.

Absolutely not!!! Either you misunderstood him or he told you a pack of lies.

I am not clear on what you mean by your comment & certainly concerned that you use the terminology "or he told you a pack of lies" which is somewhat unprofessional. Maybe you have misunderstood my comments. I am not a technical expert so my terminology may not be perfect but whilst the Quad gain on the 909 power amp is high, it is irrelevant to the OP's query.

I am not clear on what you mean by your comment & certainly concerned that you use the terminology "or he told you a pack of lies" which is somewhat unprofessional. Maybe you have misunderstood my comments. I am not a technical expert so my terminology may not be perfect but whilst the Quad gain on the 909 power amp is high, it is irrelevant to the OP's query.

The strength of an FM signal has no bearing on the output level of an FM tuner. No way would Quads technical guy not know this. So either you completely misunderstood him or he spoke BS. Which is it? I think we can guess:rolleyes:

does anybody know how much power the quad 909 draws, in USA 120 volt ac? does it draw the full amt only when called on, or ???

advertisement

Back