advertisement

Quad Elite QSP vs 606/707/909

MEMF1980

pfm Member
Hi all - as I mentioned on I previous post I’m looking to upgrade my quad 306 and was looking at the 606/707/909 waiting for a good deal to come up.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how the Elite QSp compares to these - are there any issues with the newer model or are they a step up in quality? Looking for a power amp to last !

many thanks for any advice you may have

I have a pair of 909s that I bought as faulty, all the power supply capacitors had deteriorated to the point where the amplifiers did not work, I have never had this problem with any UK made Quad amplifiers, even the 405s with the leaking bulging capacitors still work, I would be very skeptical about how long the Chinese made Quads will last. I would go for a 606-2 707 or UK made 909 if you can find one.

Stuart

I've owned 606, 909 and QSP.

The 606 sounded veiled and muddy.
The 909 is full and sweet sounding (but has a hideous weapons grade blue LED on the front).
The QSP has the sweetness of the 909 but with extra clarity at the frequency extremes. A very good amp for £500 or so.

All have too much gain.

I had my serviced 303 up against a serviced 306 and a 606 mkII
It was some years back but clearly recall the 306 was preferred and in isolation 303 mids were preferred
I did try some of the Chinese Quad amps, the Vena was ok in price range, Artera was disappointing.

I've had a couple of 909s. Superb amps and solid as a rock. Ignore the usual fearmongering about some of them being made in China. As far as I know there's no robust evidence that they are inferior to ones made in the UK.

I also owned a QSP and did not like it. Compared with the 909s, there was a low, but audible,hum from the amp. Not as bad as some Naim amps but quite annoying if you listen to lots of music with quiet passages. It wasn't a one off either - I was offered a replacement and it still had the same problem.

I might have been unlucky with the two QSPs but I would look for another 909 if I went there again.

Thanks for your thoughts all - like everything in hifi world no clear answers but lots of good food for thought.

Had a few Quad amps, vintage and modern, fwiw the QSP impressed the most the QMP monos the least. Much preferred a Vena to a 34/306 into Dali and ProAc bookshelves, YMMV as usual.

Just an update ... I recently bought a recapped Quad 606 mk 2 and think there is definitely an improvement on the 306 with my speakers (kef R3).

I had heard they like power and this seems to be true as the bass seems more prominent and refined and the sound seems more ‘3 dimensional’ (if that makes sense).

really happy with the upgrade so thanks all for the advice.

I have a pair of 909s that I bought as faulty, all the power supply capacitors had deteriorated to the point where the amplifiers did not work, I have never had this problem with any UK made Quad amplifiers, even the 405s with the leaking bulging capacitors still work, I would be very skeptical about how long the Chinese made Quads will last. I would go for a 606-2 707 or UK made 909 if you can find one.

Stuart
My 909 has had no problems with power supply capacitors..I would remind that quad have a very good and reasonably priced service department..you bought these quads as ' faulty ' who knows how they came to be damaged? But your quite happy to tar all ' chinese ' made quads with the same brush..the brush of acquiring faulty amps?

I've had a couple of 909s. Superb amps and solid as a rock. Ignore the usual fearmongering about some of them being made in China. As far as I know there's no robust evidence that they are inferior to ones made in the UK.

I also owned a QSP and did not like it. Compared with the 909s, there was a low, but audible,hum from the amp. Not as bad as some Naim amps but quite annoying if you listen to lots of music with quiet passages. It wasn't a one off either - I was offered a replacement and it still had the same problem.

I might have been unlucky with the two QSPs but I would look for another 909 if I went there again.
I use a 909 in my main kit..superb amp..for the money? Nothing better...I use AE1 mk3s with my 909..sounds awesome..better your kit..better it sounds..I heartily recommend a quad 909 ( only slight inconvenience is power switch at back of amp)

I've owned 606, 909 and QSP.

The 606 sounded veiled and muddy.
The 909 is full and sweet sounding (but has a hideous weapons grade blue LED on the front).
The QSP has the sweetness of the 909 but with extra clarity at the frequency extremes. A very good amp for £500 or so.

All have too much gain.
All have too much gain? Utter twaddle..you might want to look at the rest of your kit..the problem is most likely there and not with the quad amp..that bloody tar brush..

All have too much gain? Utter twaddle..you might want to look at the rest of your kit..the problem is most likely there and not with the quad amp..that bloody tar brush..

No, not utter twaddle. It's fact!

The Quad 606 and 909 service manual show that the power amp gain is X67.
A common figure for power amp gain is X23.
Naim (used to) use X28.

FWIW, I can choose any gain structure I want for my entire hifi system.

Naim (used to) use X28.

I'm sorry how you couched your comment re too much gain it sounded like a critiscm? Are you saying it's not a critis

Naim (used to) use X28.

All have too much gain , I think you said..sounded critical to me..I have a 909 I have not noticed this, my hifi equipment is perfectly normal..so if I have not noticed this too much gain? Why would anyone else? So instead of the volume being at 11 it's at 9 for example..so what! It's the sound that counts not where the volume control is...you mention naim? Fingers down the chalkboard, comes to mind..at least quad with it's too much gain ( in your opinion ) doesnt set your teeth on edge..oh and my pre amp has a digital volume readout so it doesnt matter anyway...

I'm sorry how you couched your comment re too much gain it sounded like a critiscm? Are you saying it's not a critis.

Yes, it's a critiscm. However it was intended more to alert potential buyers. There are plenty of reports on this forum and others of people who have found that they have restricted volume control range, especially if they have high efficiency speakers.

It's the sound that counts not where the volume control is

Many potentiometers have poor channel matching at low volume setting. Optimised gain structure results in better noise and distortion performance - as confirmed in many textbooks on signal processing.

..you mention naim? Fingers down the chalkboard, comes to mind..

I mentioned them only because lots of people use their products on here.

By the way, the latest incarnation of your amp, the Artera Stereo, has reduced gain. Seems like Quad are aware of the "criticism"!

Yes, it's a critiscm. However it was intended more to alert potential buyers. There are plenty of reports on this forum and others of people who have found that they have restricted volume control range, especially if they have high efficiency speakers.

Many potentiometers have poor channel matching at low volume setting. Optimised gain structure results in better noise and distortion performance - as confirmed in many textbooks on signal processing.

By the way, the latest incarnation of your amp, the Artera Stereo, has reduced gain. Seems like Quad are aware of the

By the way, the latest incarnation of your amp, the Artera Stereo, has reduced gain. Seems like Quad are aware of the "criticism"!
Thing is if you say bad things about my best amp, to me it feels like your dissing my girl? Lol..my speakers are not very sensitive..

advertisement

Back