advertisement

Qobuz hi-res/lossless plan £14.99 per month (UK)

I’ve never looked, to be honest, as I have well over thirty of their albums ripped to the server anyway. Just took a look on the Qobuz app though, and it claims the site has 83 albums by the band. Not checked if any are ‘unavailable’ though.

Mick
A lot of the earlier studio albums are 'greyed out' and only 30 second snippets.

A lot of the earlier studio albums are 'greyed out' and only 30 second snippets.

Ooh yes, you’re right. I just picked Phaedra and all I got was an option of samples. Wish they wouldn’t do that. I’d rather the album didn’t appear at all, rather than only let me know once I’ve clicked into it.

Mick

Although some early stuff *is* available. If you select ‘The Virgin Years ‘74-‘78’ (or whichever years it is), Phaedra, Rubycon, Ricochet, Stratosfear... are all available.

I've just signed up for the free trial (continuing @ £14.99) and so far have mixed feelings. In order to play the Hi Def content I need to connect my Laptop to my DAC via USB; but, considering my listening position is 4ft from my DAC, not really an issue. I converted an 86 track Spotify playlist using Soudiiz and lost 11. Not a great showing. However, it turned out that some of the tracks were available when searching for them, but the search functionality is very poor. But my M2Tech Young looks so cool with a big red 96 on the front!

I've just signed up for the free trial (continuing @ £14.99) and so far have mixed feelings. In order to play the Hi Def content I need to connect my Laptop to my DAC via USB; but, considering my listening position is 4ft from my DAC, not really an issue. I converted an 86 track Spotify playlist using Soudiiz and lost 11. Not a great showing. However, it turned out that some of the tracks were available when searching for them, but the search functionality is very poor. But my M2Tech Young looks so cool with a big red 96 on the front!

Do a free trial of Roon at the same time. Install it on your laptopmand then 'add' qobuz to your roon installation (somewhere in the settings menu in Roon). ...search is really good!

I'll definitely be sticking with this. It's the first streaming service where I've been happy with the cost, the quality and choice. It's not perfect, as others have mentioned, but I can use it easily wherever I need to, via Logitech media server so I can stream throughout the house, Chromecast or mobile.

Search is the biggest issue both inside and outside the Qobuz app, I've had a couple of times where search on one platform returned nothing, yet on another gave results. It's interesting comparing the frequent multiplicity of choices for a single album, 16/44 originals, remasters and then often more than one choice of HD offering, where in some cases the highest bitrate option is not always the best (some of the album remasters are clearly louder and of more limited dynamic range). Sometimes you can have too much choice!

Having just bought a Chord Mojo I've been blown away by just how good that little device is, coupled with Qobuz it's a whole world of new musical discovery.

I'm going to run up a new VM with Logitech media server 8, as that has a plugin that integrates Qobuz into the music library more seamlessly, I'm hoping that helps with Squeezebox use, as currently it's easier to use a mobile device as a remote for search purposes.

So without reading back through the thread (sorry I'm lazy ;)), I had Qobuz years ago and dowloaded a couple of albums in 24/96. Can you still download albums or simply stream? My Internet Connection seems a little "dodgy". I have to say, I spend 99.9% of the time listening to my vinyl rips such is the cynicism of my generation towards new technology.

So without reading back through the thread (sorry I'm lazy ;)), I had Qobuz years ago and dowloaded a couple of albums in 24/96. Can you still download albums or simply stream? My Internet Connection seems a little "dodgy". I have to say, I spend 99.9% of the time listening to my vinyl rips such is the cynicism of my generation towards new technology.

You can download and listen on mobile or desktop, if you use the Qobuz apps. You can't download and listen outside of them.

Any content you have downloaded from Qobuz and paid for can be listened to outside the app and without a subscription. It is only the streaming offline library that is tied to the app and the subscription and app.

fwiw I am probably of a similar generation to you. Think of Qobuz and streaming as being able to borrow anything you liked from Tower Records Oxford Street when it was a four storey building full of records. For 50p a day.

I'd overlooked that Qobuz has a purchase element which is downloadable and can be played anywhere, I was only thinking of the streaming element, which can be cached to a device but is limited to app playback.

Even though I'm of a generation that has shelves of vinyl and CD's Qobuz has left me wondering why I'd ever purchase anything, I suppose it's primarily about long term availability and control?

I'd overlooked that Qobuz has a purchase element which is downloadable and can be played anywhere, I was only thinking of the streaming element, which can be cached to a device but is limited to app playback.

Even though I'm of a generation that has shelves of vinyl and CD's Qobuz has left me wondering why I'd ever purchase anything, I suppose it's primarily about long term availability and control?
My answer to the long term availability issue is to say, well if Qobuz went bust, I’ll still be able to buy the CDs so why worry? Put the question the other way, if all your shelves of CDs were stolen, what proportion would you buy again? What proportion have you listened to in the last five years?

The one thing that comes to my mind is knowing which version you are getting - for example I have two different releases/masterings of Close To The Edge, one of which is unlistenable.

(and before some smart-alec says ‘surely they both are....’)

I used to have a Tidal and Qobuz, but got rid of Qobuz a few weeks ago. Just too many gaps in their library.

My answer to the long term availability issue is to say, well if Qobuz went bust, I’ll still be able to buy the CDs so why worry? Put the question the other way, if all your shelves of CDs were stolen, what proportion would you buy again? What proportion have you listened to in the last five years?

The reality is the CD's are all ripped losslessly to my media server, so it's no loss at all it's only honesty that stops me selling them!

The vinyl is obviously different.

It would take 792 years to listen to Qobuz’s gappy library; explore.
Weirdly I'm exploring back in time currently, going through a Flat Response/Jazz/Fusion list of vinyl I've not played in years as the LP12 is still in storage. Only feeling slightly guilty about it.

The one thing that comes to my mind is knowing which version you are getting - for example I have two different releases/masterings of Close To The Edge, one of which is unlistenable.

(and before some smart-alec says ‘surely they both are....’)

Favourite the good one.

Favourite the good one.
Ah, you mean there are different versions to choose from on some streaming services and you are told which is which? I only know Spotify, where you get what you are given?

If not and I’ve misunderstood, sorry. I haven’t got used to ‘favourite’ becoming a verb yet.

advertisement

Back