advertisement

Puzzling results with ATC SCM50ASLT loudspeakers vs. previous system

I bought the best and worst measuring dacs on ASR, partly as an experiment. The latter has 20 pages of denigration with not a single detractor, nor the reviewer, having gone to the trouble of listening to it.

I bought the best and worst measuring dacs on ASR, partly as an experiment. The latter has 20 pages of denigration with not a single detractor, nor the reviewer, having gone to the trouble of listening to it.
what were your findings comparing the two? genuinely interested. Probably worth a new thread on this:)

In a nutshell, they sounded far more similar than different, most competent dacs do IMO, regardless of technology or chip choice. One was the Topping D70 Pro Sabre (no longer the best measuring since that changes each week) and the other an MHDT Pagoda with tube buffer. I kept the Topping, my favourite dac under £1k, and sold the MHDT, but only because I have the Audial for that sort of non-oversampling flavour.

If I were to change my mains cables to these Belden ones, would it be better to use 2 meters or 1 meter? Is the benefit proportional to the length, or the other way around?

No comment on that since I've never experimented with a same power cable in different lenghts.

I use 2m length Ricable Primus' for ATC's.

No comment on that since I've never experimented with a same power cable in different lenghts.

I use 2m length Ricable Primus' for ATC's.
Don’t you think you should experiment with the same power cable different lengths? After all, if the effect of it is to filter out bad things from the mains then you would arguably want as long a lead as possible, whereas if it’s intended to connect your speakers to the mains, then you would want as short a mains lead as possible. Also you need to consider how the cable coils. IMO.

Don’t you think you should experiment with the same power cable different lengths? After all, if the effect of it is to filter out bad things from the mains then you would arguably want as long a lead as possible, whereas if it’s intended to connect your speakers to the mains, then you would want as short a mains lead as possible. Also you need to consider how the cable coils. IMO.

Who says power cable is there to filter bad things from the mains? Power conditioners are for that but how could a cable filter anything? Unless it's some sort of active cable.

I choose the cable length purely based on practicality.

Who says power cable is there to filter bad things from the mains? Power conditioners are for that but how could a cable filter anything? Unless it's some sort of active cable.

I choose the cable length purely based on practicality.
So you think that all lengths of a given mains cable should have the same effect on the sound?

(I never said a power cable is there to filter out bad things from the mains. I said that were you to believe that to be the case, then you would want as long a one as possible. If otoh you believe that it is to connect to the mains with as little loss as possible, then you would want as short a one as possible. And obviously if you believe different mains cables sound different, it is reasonable to ask whether the differences increase with the length of mains cable. Or are the benefits only delivered with a specific length?).

So you think that all lengths of a given mains cable should have the same effect on the sound?

I already answered to this question. I have no idea since I've never tried. I buy the length I need and it's the same with all cables.

I have some measurements for you. It is now
  • 192 posts
  • 14 days and
  • 9 pages
since we last heard from our thread originator. I suspect that he has found all the contributions since post #444 so overwhelmingly educational, inspiring and generous of spirit that the poor chap is quite overwhelmed and doesn't know how to express his gratitude to everyone. Don't ask me for evidence of that, obviously.

Oh, and carry on!

advertisement

Back