advertisement

Puzzling results with ATC SCM50ASLT loudspeakers vs. previous system

I guess subwoofers would be next as I have had good results cancelling to some extent main offending modes in the old room

I have owned active 100’s, a different model maybe, but I would say that you have a room mismatch, the things you describe in your first post about soundstage, are quite the opposite to my findings, though I must stress, the golden positioning of the speakers certainly didn’t happen overnight!

Could you describe your room and the loudspeaker position which worked?
If you fancy trying to make some in room measurements I’d gladly lend you calibrated microphone, you can install REW then post the measurements on here , many good guys around to help with - PM me if interested . Another option is install REW and try room simulator to give you some ideas about where to start

as it happened same speakers sounded quite bright and shouty in my new room, I added some room treatment to first reflections but still unlistenable at times so I bought another set of speakers

Those kind of problems like brightness are really quite basic (i.e manageable with couple of cables swap, sometimes even not touching a system - somewhere in the power supply chain of a router for example). Ultimate realism, liveliness, magic are a different story though.

Those kind of problems like brightness are really quite basic (i.e manageable with couple of cables swap, sometimes even not touching a system - somewhere in the power supply chain of a router for example). Ultimate realism, liveliness, magic are a different story though.
I don’t sign up to cable magic , I’d even say I am anti-cable but I have in use Cardas top range ICs and used VandenHul Revelation speaker cables at the time , many regards them as not bright so short answer is NO

somewhere in the power supply chain of a router for example
Brightness was perceived in both vinyl and digital replay btw , Cadenza Black cartridge I use atm is quite smooth when compared to the likes of Koetsu Black , Zyx Ultimate or Cadenza Bronze I have owned recently

My room was/is problematic in some ways, not in others. My room is almost 8m x 5m, 4m high to a peak. (Pics on another forum😬) firing across, but sat one side of the central chimney breast. So one speaker almost room central, the other very close to a side rear wall. One good thing with my room is that I don’t get any bass boom with any size speaker at the listening position, the other opposite problem is that it does have a slight cancellation at around 40hz. This means my speakers benefit from being closer to the rear wall. With the 100’s I found that with the speakers being so deep, and the port being at the front, they need to go even further back than normal(around 300mm~toe in centre average). This enhanced the null at 40ish hz.

Within this shallow alcove, the speakers have a gap of around 3.5m which means the tweeter centres were around 2.4m I sat 2.8-9m away, this meant I had to toe out very carefully, I lost image above or below 12degree toe in. It was that critical.

Before you say about amplifier route, I’ve had SS mosfet AB and tube one in use at the same time , no discernible difference between

Sure as ‘brightness’ is a power supply problem not anything else typically.
Care to elaborate , we have moved to another flat in the same building :) I doubt electricity supply is different as it comes from the same transformer which was outside of the window of my old place

Sure as ‘brightness’ is a power supply problem not anything else typically.
Seriously? I suppose it could be a power supply problem but how much difference would that make in practice? Much more likely, ime, to be down to an upturned frequency response as was, and maybe still is, heard in some B&W speakers and/or too lively a room. I personally think it makes sense to look at the factors that can make a big difference before turning to those that might, depending on opinion, make a small one.

I mean it’s not prohibited to play with speakers for sure. I do it all the time also and usually living with more than one pair. My message is that almost all speakers are good enough)
Yes , I agree to some extent but carefully matching speakers to the room, positioning, room treatment in my case have had greater effect than anything else I've tried , another subject would be coupling vs decoupling speakers form the floor which I have also tried- spikes on granite bases, Gaia feet, Townshend bars .
One need to be careful as you can spent thousands and end up with system sounding worse than to start with , get basics right- positioning , try measurements- it doesn't hurt neither then start spending hard earned cash

Care to elaborate , we have moved to another flat in the same building :) I doubt electricity supply is different as it comes from the same transformer which was outside of the window of my old place
Try a Kemp SNS plug or a plug in filter from Fidelity Audio and you will get a reduction in noise on the mains that brings less brightness to the audio and improves system performance.

advertisement

Back