advertisement

PS audio

I have watched his stuff on YouTube seems a nice guy but manages not to answer any question he is asked.

The printer cable is the cable that connects the printer to your computer. The cable comes with a connector on both ends and transfers printing commands from the computer to the printer.

I presume this is a joke/spoof, although I have come across a few people who would benefit from reading it before they call tec support who immediately realise that it's not plugged in.

Those youtube video's are an absolute disaster. And he does them seven days a week. He's obviously a narcissist who loves seeing himself on video. He should knock that shit off immediately and get back to running his company.
For companies that sell "very high margin" home audio products marketing has to dominate all other activities. It is what raises the value of the product and brand for potential customers. The videos are very much part of this marketing activity as can be seen from the comments of some of the posters that have a positive view of PS Audio, their products and the chap in the videos. Those that are reasonably technically literate will inevitably pick up a negative impression from the BS but this is fairly irrelevant because these are not potential customers for the products.

So are these videos sufficiently effective at getting the marketing message across to potential customers of "very high margin" home audio products that it is more profitable to cut out the dealers? It would be rather interesting if this were the case. There are of course other possible explanations for dropping dealers such as possibly slowing down/contracting activity prior to retirement. Does anyone know how well PS Audio are doing at the moment?

For companies that sell "very high margin" home audio products marketing has to dominate all other activities. It is what raises the value of the product and brand for potential customers. The videos are very much part of this marketing activity as can be seen from the comments of some of the posters that have a positive view of PS Audio, their products and the chap in the videos. Those that are reasonably technically literate will inevitably pick up a negative impression from the BS but this is fairly irrelevant because these are not potential customers for the products.

So are these videos sufficiently effective at getting the marketing message across to potential customers of "very high margin" home audio products that it is more profitable to cut out the dealers? It would be rather interesting if this were the case. There are of course other possible explanations for dropping dealers such as possibly slowing down/contracting activity prior to retirement. Does anyone know how well PS Audio are doing at the moment?

Yep. It boils my piss that these days it seems de rigueur to tell potential customers a crock of BS and lies, claim things that are not even technically possible or are completely irrelevant! 90%+ of the time when anyone links to any manufacturers ads etc I find they're laughably close to being reportable to the Advertising Standards Authority.
Do people actually buy according to how much effort has been put into BS'ing them!?

Yes, you do.

Not in response to the BS you notice but in response to the BS you don't notice.

Oh I'm an advertisers nightmare! I don't watch that much TV but sit there taking the piss out of the ads and pointing out the inconsistencies, lies and BS... I also like to think I'm "brand blind"... more so than most anyway!:rolleyes:

The people who like them comment and say, 'gee, I liked that'. The people who hate them just stop watching them and never take PS Audio seriously again. It's CRAZY STUPID to do this to your brand name.

The people who like them comment and say, 'gee, I liked that'. The people who hate them just stop watching them and never take PS Audio seriously again. It's CRAZY STUPID to do this to your brand name.
I don't understand your reasoning. The videos enhance the value of the product for enthusiasts of the brand. The videos put off people that have no interest in the brand. Why is this bad? Or are you saying that some people that are potential customers of "very high margin" home audio products are going to gain a negative impression from the videos?

I've never seen a video posted by Paul McGowan......I love their stuff and the videos didn't factor into my purchases. The fact that I can take stuff home and trial it is a big deal, and with no strings attached. Are potential buyers affected either negatively or positively by the videos? I don't really know.

In the end, the gear must sell itself on its own merits.

I like Paul and his videos, I really don't see the harm or the issue with the videos. I also have to say I am not aware of any obvious BS, few points I don't agree with but I take it all with a pinch of salt.

Yep. It boils my piss that these days it seems de rigueur to tell potential customers a crock of BS and lies...

Funny. Yes much better to use hifi forums to insult your potential customers whom you don’t agree with eh Mr Arkless? ;)

Like many others I think Paul MGowan's interesting, positive and open-minded view of hifi very engaging (you should try it!), and a very effective marketing tool which he uses well and to apparently great commercial success. And many people do not think it is BS and lies.

But I am guessing that this debate re distribution is not applicable in the UK as he will almost certainly have to use international retail distribution.

Like many others I think Paul MGowan's interesting, positive and open-minded view of hifi very engaging (you should try it!), and a very effective marketing tool which he uses well and to apparently great commercial success. And many people do not think it is BS and lies.

I'm afraid he does talk bollox, here is one of the cable makers favourites "skin effect"

He even tries to claim that it is skin effect that protects airplanes and cars from lightning - untrue

Skin-effect is why you’re safe from lighting in a car or on a plane … Lightning is one-way, being in that sense DC, but the pulse is very high frequency, and so the magnetic field inside an airplane prevents lightning from traveling except on the skin of the airplane.

Skin effect is a result of frequency and magnetic properties i.e the higher the freq the closer to the surface of the conductor the signal will flow thereby decreasing the available conductive area and increasing resistance.

He explains it as:

Skin effect describes the ability of conductors to pass high frequencies: more skin effect allows more high frequencies to pass.

Not true, skin effect actually reduces the ability for high freqs to pass, this is why litz is used as it creates more conductor surface area in a cable. The truth is that skin effect is irrelevant in audio as it only starts to be come an issue above 20 Khz.

Yep. It boils my piss that these days it seems de rigueur to tell potential customers a crock of BS and lies, claim things that are not even technically possible or are completely irrelevant! 90%+ of the time when anyone links to any manufacturers ads etc I find they're laughably close to being reportable to the Advertising Standards Authority.
Do people actually buy according to how much effort has been put into BS'ing them!?

You had me at piss boiling !

Isn't it better to be a bit skeptical and do research than be a sucker and throw away money?
It depends on the benefits obtained for the money. Those with technical knowledge tend to strongly weight technical performance for the money which makes PS Audio products very uncompetitive. Others with little to no understanding of the technical side are likely to weight other things associated with luxury products as significantly more important. A fair few of these are likely to be happy with the value they get for their money with PS Audio products. The technically literate may view them as suckers but so long as they and their peers don't are they suckers?

So, is the consensus here that PS Audio products measure badly?

From memory I think their amps and DACs measure well. The issue here is some of the people on this thread feel that he uses pseudo-science to explain why his products have a positive effect on SQ. But those same people will tell you that the improvements you might here on your power cable are imagined. So I take their criticisms with a large pinch of salt.

advertisement

Back