advertisement

Protecting local airfields from housing developments

Certainly not near town centres or doctors etc
Water and sewage supply - not adequate
Road access - often very poor
Public transport - zero
What are you referring to? The many alternative locations? So if not old airports or farm land, where? Not seeing many solutions being posted. I’m not pointing fingers here but lots of nimbyism when it comes to this topic. I know of one local airport within the city limits (in the US) and it’s a perfect location for adding density close to where people work. Debate has raged for years over if it should be shut down. So I think it really depends on location.

I was walking the park in front of 'the big house' in our village some years ago when the double-barrelled squire himself approached me, and we fell into a conversation that was disrupted by the very loud overflight of a Jet Provost out of the local airfield. He looked up, and as the sound fell away uttered the immortal words 'Bloody Johnny flyboys!'. The contempt and fury oozed from every syllable.

Ironically his own house still contained a perfect time capsule in the form of the untouched WW2 Ops Room which had been hastily built when the sector station, North Weald, had come under sustained attack during the Battle of Britain. Sadly it was unceremoniously ripped out by his son a short time ago, and restored to the house as a drawing room.

Last edited:
Adventure 001 has a lot to answer for regards repeatedly overflowen houses / urban centres.

I blame the Instagramers who make it a viable business model. That said pilots have to build hours somehow. Best offered at Motorsport events where noise is expected.

Airfields charge for circuits and take off/ landings

Anyone want to PM me a grid ref for Mick P's house ;-)

Adventure 001 has a lot to answer for regards repeatedly overflowen houses / urban centres.
When I was flying, the regulator expected me to do my noisier exercises in the designated training areas, which were rural when the map was drawn.
Flying over urban areas was minimised for safety reasons - there's nowhere to make an emergency landing.

I want to live in a high rise, said no one ever....
In most of the world, middle class people do live in high rise in cities:
1) Price - nice landed property is out of reach, small terraced houses with inadequate car parking is stressful
2) Convenience - not having to commute 2 hours a day, F&B on site, nearby shops and public transport
3) Facilities - pool, gym etc without having to mow your tiny lawn every week
4) Security

This subject is close to my heart - I've had an enduring fascination for old airfields since I was a schoolboy. Unlike many on the thread with PPL associations, my tastes veer more towards the disused and abandoned, but it seems that all are at threat from developers, as the final tranches of surviving wartime airfields across the country, with all their savage history forgotten now, and expediently marked down as 'brownfield', are rapidly disappearing beneath swathes of ticky-tacky housing estates, whilst many more rural ones, long since returned to the plough, are suddenly sprouting solar and wind farms. In my corner of the country Watton and Oakington are two expansion period airfields that have recently fallen to housebuilders, Hornchurch and Martlesham Heath are long gone (though many of the buildings survive on the latter), and North Weald has been chipped away at for years by the local council, which bough both the airfield and its vast housing stock in the 1980s for £675k - the next encroachment will be onto the airfield itself, where Google have just dropped £85m to build a data centre, not a bad return on the council's investment.

In fairness, there were a lot of them. In 1935 there were 60 military and 90 civil airfields - by 1940 (the 'expansion period') this had become 280, all military. Wartime development of temporary airfields took the total to 720 by 1945, an astonishing feat of manpower and engineering - at one point in 1942 1 paved airfield was coming on stream every 3 days, and a 'Class A' airfield had two 1400 x 50 yard runways, and a main of 2000 x 50 yards, with 3 miles of 50ft perimeter track and 50 odd aircraft hardstands, two 'T2' hangars, a technical area and accommodation for 2-3000 personnel, all taking up about 500 acres. Most of these temporary fields were put into 'Care & Maintenance' after hostilities, and by 1960 the total had fallen to just over 200. Most were returned to agriculture, and the roadbuilding programme of the 1960s saw a lucrative harvest in the form of concrete, with prices of up to £30 an acre paid to the farmers. Some runways survived as the bases for poultry sheds, and technical sites became industrial estates, probably the most common use of former airfields today. A few were forgotten, and still lie quietly mouldering away in odd corners, but with prices of well over £1000 an acre/year being paid to landowners for solar farms against perhaps £90-£200 an acre for wheat, I suspect it unlikely that they will be forgotten for much longer.

One development that I think I belatedly welcome is the recent trend of converting surviving buildings into houses - even the humble Nissen Hut is now a potential contemporary dwelling. A temporary airfield close to me, the former RAF Chipping Ongar, has seen the long crumbling Operations Block converted into a very swish residence, and a clutch of Nissen and Quonset huts on one of the former accommodation sites similarly adapted. Whilst I formerly loved them for their dark atmosphere, they wouldn't have lasted many more years, and their conversion into houses has preserved their legacy.

JpBVDk.jpg

The Control Tower (or 'Watch Office for All Commands') at Smeatharpe in Devon, one of the surviving time-warp wartime airfields, photographed in 2009.

Last edited:
@eternumviti

A little section of Martlesham’s runway exists.

And somehow a few cars have had their photos taken for, often, VW forums.

I’m off to Flixton with some mates next Wednesday. No airfield, but what a funny ol place!

This subject is close to my heart - I've had an enduring fascination for old airfields since I was a schoolboy. Unlike many on the thread with PPL associations, my tastes veer more towards the disused and abandoned, but it seems that all are at threat from developers, as the final tranches of surviving wartime airfields across the country, with all their savage history forgotten now, and expediently marked down as 'brownfield', are rapidly disappearing beneath swathes of ticky-tacky housing estates, whilst many more rural ones, long since returned to the plough, are suddenly sprouting solar and wind farms. In my corner of the country Watton and Oakington are two expansion period airfields that have recently fallen to housebuilders, Hornchurch and Martlesham Heath are long gone (though many of the buildings survive on the latter), and North Weald has been chipped away at for years by the local council, which bough both the airfield and its vast housing stock in the 1980s for £675k - the next encroachment will be onto the airfield itself, where Google have just dropped £85m to build a data centre, not a bad return on the council's investment.

In fairness, there were a lot of them. In 1935 there were 60 military and 90 civil airfields - by 1940 (the 'expansion period') this had become 280, all military. Wartime development of temporary airfields took the total to 720 by 1945, an astonishing feat of manpower and engineering - at one point in 1942 3 paved airfields were coming on stream a day, and a 'Class A' airfield had two 1400 x 50 yard runways, and a main of 2000 x 50 yards, with 3 miles of 50ft perimeter track and 50 odd aircraft hardstands, two 'T2' hangars, a technical area and accommodation for 2-3000 personnel, all taking up about 500 acres. Most of these temporary fields were put into 'Care & Maintenance' after hostilities, and by 1960 the total had fallen to just over 200. Most were returned to agriculture, and the roadbuilding programme of the 1960s saw a lucrative harvest in the form of concrete, with prices of up to £30 an acre paid to the farmers. Some runways survived as the bases for poultry sheds, and technical sites became industrial estates, probably the most common use of former airfields today. A few were forgotten, and still lie quietly mouldering away in odd corners, but with prices of well over £1000 an acre/year being paid to landowners for solar farms against perhaps £90-£200 an acre for wheat, I suspect it unlikely that they will be forgotten for much longer.

One development that I think I belatedly welcome is the recent trend of converting surviving buildings into houses - even the humble Nissen Hut is now a potential contemporary dwelling. A temporary airfield close to me, the former RAF Chipping Ongar, has seen the long crumbling Operations Block converted into a very swish residence, and a clutch of Nissen and Quonset huts on one of the former accommodation sites similarly adapted. Whilst I formerly loved them for their dark atmosphere, they wouldn't have lasted many more years, and their conversion into houses has preserved their legacy.

JpBVDk.jpg

The Control Tower (or 'Watch Office for All Commands') at Smeatharpe in Devon, one of the surviving time-warp wartime airfields, photographed in 2009.
Which, curiously, belongs to a good friend of mine. He also has a few other key buildings but lacks the wherewithal to restore them at present.

@eternumviti

A little section of Martlesham’s runway exists.

And somehow a few cars have had their photos taken for, often, VW forums.

I’m off to Flixton with some mates next Wednesday. No airfield, but what a funny ol place!
I once wriggled my way between the ticky-tackies to find that piece of runway. It looks more impressive from above than it does on the ground. The Control Tower is well looked-after though.

Which, curiously, belongs to a good friend of mine. He also has a few other key buildings but lacks the wherewithal to restore them at present.
A small world. Indeed he does, and I'd love to see them one day.

advertisement

Back