advertisement

Protecting local airfields from housing developments

Imagine living on a typical housing estate…

Dogs barking.
Car doors being banged shut.
Cars with noisy exhausts.
Kids screaming with joy.
Smelly barbecues.
Noisy barbecues.
Police sirens.
Arguments.
Cars with massive subwoofers.
Drug dealers.

And then… omg!!! A two seater Cessna flies over! In a CIRCLE!

Yup, I forgot about lawnmowers; also leafblowers (why are they even a thing?)
Ask my friend who runs a garden business. He uses his every time he cuts the grass, he can sweep up all the stray clippings in 30 seconds flat as opposed to several minutes with a brush. Time is money, and his customers don't want to see grass clippings everywhere, getting trodden into the house every time he has called.

Ask my friend who runs a garden business. He uses his every time he cuts the grass, he can sweep up all the stray clippings in 30 seconds flat as opposed to several minutes with a brush. Time is money, and his customers don't want to see grass clippings everywhere, getting trodden into the house every time he has called.
Maybe he has some clever technique, most leaf blowers I've seen used take longer than using the traditional methods for whatever task is at hand. Previous generations, of course, used a spring tine rake. As do I.

Dogs barking.
Kids screaming with joy.
Smelly barbecues.
Noisy barbecues.
Police sirens.
Arguments.
Drug dealers.

I guess you've never lived on a typical housing estate.

I guess you've never lived on a typical housing estate.
Yes, I have. Check out SS12 9DR.

I left home when I joined the RAF. I also lived on estates in Kings Lynn and Darlington.
What was the hidden question behind your one liner?

Yes, I have. Check out SS12 9DR.

I left home when I joined the RAF. I also lived on estates in Kings Lynn and Darlington.
What was the hidden question behind your one liner?
What was the point behind your rash generalisation about housing estates? I lived on an estate in the dim and distant past too but things have changed on these new builds estates - they are dead in the main.

God I hate leaf blowers. There are quite a few big posh houses on our street who use gardening firms and it's not uncommon to hear four leaf blowers running at a time. First world problems I know.
I don’t get leaf blowers. All they do is blow leaves from where nature has deposited them to “somewhere else”, whereupon nature looks on, chuckles and blows them back to where they were in the first place.

This is why I have a leaf vacuum, that collects and mulches them up nicely for easy disposal!

You cannot modify civilian aircraft in anyway without an awful lot of certification. Something like a Cessna 182 would never pass modern type approval.
I used to fly PPL, the fuel I burned was a lot less than all those PFM Porsche owners get through.

Airfields actually make pretty good nature reserves and act as rainfall buffers, a much better use of land than little box suburbia.
👍

You cannot modify civilian aircraft in anyway without an awful lot of certification. Something like a Cessna 182 would never pass modern type approval.
I used to fly PPL, the fuel I burned was a lot less than all those PFM Porsche owners get through.

Airfields actually make pretty good nature reserves and act as rainfall buffers, a much better use of land than little box suburbia.
I'm good with all this. Melton Mowbray is at last getting its ring road but funding appears to have come substantially from massive housing developments filling in (and expanding beyond) the gap between the new road and the existing town. While I'm sure town centre businesses will appreciate the significant population increase, I have a sneaking suspicion that these extra folk going into town will more than make up the relief road's traffic reduction...

I just wish the small "leisure" planes would fly over in a straight line rather than circling quite as often as they do.

Everything recreation has an impact on the planet, so, do you believe we should all just work, breed, die?

Some types of recreation are not imposing on others and have far less impact on the planet too, like paragliding, hot-air ballooning, cycling, rowing, sailing, archery...

Reactions: PsB

Dogs barking.
Kids screaming with joy.
Smelly barbecues.
Noisy barbecues.
Police sirens.
Arguments.
Drug dealers.

You think this is a "typical" housing estate? I think you mean stereotypical housing estate. And by that I don't mean a housing estate where everyone has a stereo.

You think this is a "typical" housing estate? I think you mean stereotypical housing estate. And by that I don't mean a housing estate where everyone has a stereo.

If you really do think that I meant that every single housing estate has all the points I made… sweet chocolate monkeys, what a place this is.

And thanks for the English lesson :/

There's a deactivated airfield next to the village I work at.
It flooded a few times this winter. Just recently it was stage to dozens of skylarks doing their birdsong routines.

advertisement

Back