advertisement

Proms 2015

Yay. I've only got tickets for one late night performance this year. Managed to miss the tickets going on sale by 12 hours!

I wish they'd do at least one prom each year that indicated something happened in classical music after Mahler!

Um??

Stravinsky, Sibelius, Poulenc, Ravel, Holst, Walton, Nielsen, Webern, MacMillan, Scriabin, Messiaen, Prokoviev, Britten etc all present.....

Just had a peep at the TV schedule, nice and heavy on the Bach this year, which is good for me. Delighted there's a full TV performance of the cello suites. Doesn't appear to be anything 20th century/"difficult" on the TV schedule though, which is a shame - I wish they'd do at least one prom each year that indicated something happened in classical music after Mahler! I'm sure there will be some stuff tucked away in the full schedule somewhere, but I can't see anything on the TV page.

Ah - sorry - TV schedule! Yes, you have a point!

I thought the 'ten pieces' programming of last night's prom was a brilliant idea for getting young people interested. The presentation of the 'show' was certainly naff but it wasn't aimed at the usual demographic.

Thanks, I must check it out on iplayer. Sondergard goes down very well in the Usher Hall, conducting the RSNO.

Apparently a teacher told him that in her school none of the 360 pupils played an instrument. After the Ten Pieces project input 160 are now playing something.

Yesterday's two Beethovens was a treat. Leif Ove Andsnes was in control there.

But please someone get Tom Service to shut up. If ever there was an exhibition of verbal diarrhoea, this was it. But I suppose he does work for The Guardian, so it might be part of his job description.

I enjoyed the Stravinsky Dumbarton Oaks, well played.

The treatment of Schoenberg's music was quite sympathetic, though it was a very early piece - 1907. The singers seemed to like it, but I would have preferred a later choral work.

I was delighted to find this in HMV a few years ago as a replacement for an old LP.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000005I6J/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

The young chap serving me saw how pleased I was to have found it, and told me that he sang in a choir. They really enjoyed singing Schoenberg's music, it was a real challenge.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I was delighted to find this in HMV a few years ago as a replacement for an old LP.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000005I6J/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

The young chap serving me saw how pleased I was to have found it, and told me that he sang in a choir. They really enjoyed singing Schoenberg's music, it was a real challenge.

They had proper assistants in HMV in those days - I bought the Britten recording of Curlew River as the assistant`s eyes lit up and he told us they had performed it in his final year at music college.

I also agree with the comment above about Tom Service, on several occasions I have tuned out of his ramblings and then missed the start of the piece - this is not good presentation.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Rather liking the Aurora Orchestra on BBC4 now; no music stands/scores, standing up and rather enthusiastic about the Beethoven Pastoral Symphony they are playing. Seem to know all the notes too.

Anyone else see (or hear) the schiff goldbergs last night? I really enjoyed them but it was a struggle to ignore the stifling heat. I hope it's not going to be that hot for Yo-Yo Ma as I'm already worried about making through all 6 cello suites.
Anyway would be interested to know what others thought of schiff. I thought the tempos extreme but I thought he pulled it off.

Anyone else see (or hear) the schiff goldbergs last night?

I try, I really try to get them, but after about two or three variations, I'm done - no matter who plays them.

The same essential harmony throughout, with only minor variations on the same melody/harmony, much of which is delivered in constant eighth-notes ...

Same with Beethoven's Diabelli - after two or three, I'm yearning for different harmonies, and I'm away to one or more of the piano sonatas

Elgar's Enigma Variations - that's a different kettle of fish altogether.

Just had a peep at the TV schedule, nice and heavy on the Bach this year, which is good for me. Delighted there's a full TV performance of the cello suites. Doesn't appear to be anything 20th century/"difficult" on the TV schedule though, which is a shame - I wish they'd do at least one prom each year that indicated something happened in classical music after Mahler! I'm sure there will be some stuff tucked away in the full schedule somewhere, but I can't see anything on the TV page.

Like George Lloyd? Still trying to complete my LP collection.

Cheers,

DV

I saw the Goldbergs and enjoyed the concert enormously. I'd have liked a tiny bit more joi de vivre in some of the more extrovert variations but that's a tiny point.

After four nights of temperatures in the high 30s in the Bayreuth Festspielhaus the previous week, the Albert Hall seemed pleasantly cool. This was sat in the stalls, next to Mrs. Schiff no less, the arena can be pretty stuffy.

advertisement

Back