advertisement

Proms 2015

duncan

This looks like a decent season. My highlights?

Andras Schiff plays the Goldberg Variations.
Mena/BBCPO do the Turangalila (a piece to hear live if ever there was one)
Salonen/Philharmonia Bartok & Shostakovich
Jurowsky/LPO Shostakovich 8
Haitink Schubert 9
VPO play Elgar and, more interestingly for me, Schmidt.
A rare outing for Ives' 4th Symphony.
A not-rare YoYo Ma playing all 6 Bach Cello Suites.
Oramo/BBCSO in Kullervo and the last 3 Sibelius symphonies.
Jonas Kaufmann slumming it in the Last Night.

Details here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms
Printable form
There is an app.

Hmm, some good stuff as you say but little English music, no operas and a seemingly large amount of kiddies events.
I tried to get the printed programme at Foyles just now but they didn`t yet have them.
Jonas Kaufmann will make the last night worth a listen though.

At the Edinburgh Festival this year orchestras include the San Francisco Symphony, Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra, Philharmonia Orchestra, Budapest Festival Orchestra, Orchestre Révolutionnaire et Romantique, London Symphony Orchestra.

I've booked 15 concerts this year.

The Oslo Philharmonic are performing the Kullervo- one of my favourites.

The Proms is a British festival of music, not a festival of British music. I like some English - British - (classical) music but much of it is worth no more than the very occasional outing. The 'hidden gems' I have heard have entirely merited their obscurity.

Rattle and the VPO are doing Gerontius for those who like that sort of thing!

There is one musical and the usual Glyndebourne visit. Not much I agree, but in recent years opera lovers have done very well.

There are two specifically 'kiddies' proms and a number of smaller-scale supporting events. I wont be going to either of the two TV tie-in Proms but I sort of see their point as bridging events. These four from a total of 76 doesn't seem unreasonable. The BBC has an educational remit, classical music has largely been abandoned by state schools and mainstream TV, and consequently the classical world badly needs to cultivate it's future audience.

I am well aware that the Proms are not a festival of English music but notwithstanding the welcome performance of Gerontius the selection seems thin this year.
I missed the Glyndeborne evening - fair enough, it was probably optimistic to hope for the Opera content to be maintained at recent levels, but it would have been good - for me, at least.
I agree the BBC does have an educational remit but I am far from confident that these type of events are the right way to get younger people to be interested in classical music - though I`m not sure what is, I just remember that when I was a child anything specifcally for children always bored me rigid.

This looks like a decent season. My highlights?

Andras Schiff plays the Goldberg Variations.
Mena/BBCPO do the Turangalila (a piece to hear live if ever there was one)
Salonen/Philharmonia Bartok & Shostakovich
Jurowsky/LPO Shostakovich 8
Haitink Schubert 9
VPO play Elgar and, more interestingly for me, Schmidt.
A rare outing for Ives' 4th Symphony.
A not-rare YoYo Ma playing all 6 Bach Cello Suites.
Oramo/BBCSO in Kullervo and the last 3 Sibelius symphonies.
Jonas Kaufmann slumming it in the Last Night.

Details here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms
Printable form
There is an app.

Sounds good. I forward to the Sibelius and Shostakovich 8. Not really that keen on Schiff but he may be worth listening to.

Each to their own.
I heard him a few years ago here in Berlin playing D894, and it's the only time I've sat in a concert and thought "I can play it better than that". And I'm not good at the best of times.

I think he's a great song collaborator but I fing him a little bland in other repertoire. I will have a listen to his Bach though,

You may not like it, we can't all like the same things, but I've been listening to that set for decades and really enjoying it. Worth giving it a try IMHO.

Back on the piano is one of those guilty pleasures. I've been meaning to get the Hewitt set for a long time. The download price at Hyperion is good value.

Just had a peep at the TV schedule, nice and heavy on the Bach this year, which is good for me. Delighted there's a full TV performance of the cello suites. Doesn't appear to be anything 20th century/"difficult" on the TV schedule though, which is a shame - I wish they'd do at least one prom each year that indicated something happened in classical music after Mahler! I'm sure there will be some stuff tucked away in the full schedule somewhere, but I can't see anything on the TV page.

You may not like it, we can't all like the same things, but I've been listening to that set for decades and really enjoying it. Worth giving it a try IMHO.

Back on the piano is one of those guilty pleasures. I've been meaning to get the Hewitt set for a long time. The download price at Hyperion is good value.

Don't feel guilty! I'm currently listening to the Goldbergs on a harp, played by Catrin Finch, and it sounds as if it was written for the instrument. The Hewitt set is great, by the way, and I speak as someone who also likes Schiff. His Prom is the one I'm most looking forward to this year.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

Now Hewitt is a different thing altogether but I'll definitely give your recommendation a try.Sounds like it could covert me.

advertisement

Back