advertisement

Project RCMs.... reliability?

JTC

PFM Villager...
I am thinking of returning to the sensible-shoes land of the RCM owner/user, after a period in the wilderness without. Previously I had a VPI 16.5 which was great, but I sold it.

I'm looking at the Project RCMs, specifically the VC-S2 ALU, but a little worried about reports of the vacuum failing with increasing noise and reduced suction. My hope is that, if that were an original design flaw, they might have substituted better alternative parts in more recent builds, but maybe not.

Do we have many VC-S2 owners here? Any problems? And what else in the £300-ish price-bracket is worth considering? Spending more for me would be somewhat OTT since most of my vinyl has already been cleaned with the VPI, but some of it (the more played stuff, and any new acquisitions) could do with cleaning.

No rush to get one, but I recall just how useful the VPI was and how much it could liberate otherwise noisy and seemingly unplayable vinyl. Not always, but enough to justify itself. I'd have another VPI but they're just a bit too pricy and maybe there is better to be had these days.

Domestic use no problems Supplied dozens. Heavy commercial use yes you can get problems
Design is not suited for commercial 24/7 applications several hours per day like a Loricraft/Monks

I am thinking of returning to the sensible-shoes land of the RCM owner/user, after a period in the wilderness without. Previously I had a VPI 16.5 which was great, but I sold it.

I'm looking at the Project RCMs, specifically the VC-S2 ALU, but a little worried about reports of the vacuum failing with increasing noise and reduced suction. My hope is that, if that were an original design flaw, they might have substituted better alternative parts in more recent builds, but maybe not.

Do we have many VC-S2 owners here? Any problems? And what else in the £300-ish price-bracket is worth considering? Spending more for me would be somewhat OTT since most of my vinyl has already been cleaned with the VPI, but some of it (the more played stuff, and any new acquisitions) could do with cleaning.

No rush to get one, but I recall just how useful the VPI was and how much it could liberate otherwise noisy and seemingly unplayable vinyl. Not always, but enough to justify itself. I'd have another VPI but they're just a bit too pricy and maybe there is better to be had these days.

Take a look at the Okki Nokki One. A little more expensive but I bought one a year ago and it’s great. Quieter than the Project RCM’s, vacuum arm is adjustable for 12”, 10” and 7” records. Comes with large and small platters plus a nice acrylic lid as well.

500+ records cleaned on a Project VC-S2 without a hiccup.

There's nothing to break, as long as you use it as instructed.

The VC-S2 ALU works better than I imagined tbh, cleans really well, even fingerprints decades old are worth persevering with, it just takes a bit of time and effort, and the record is dry in two revolutions! Definitely one of my better purchases.
I was a little disappointed when I realised that the ALU wasn’t quite the amount of ALU I imagined being extremely thin sheeting pressed onto a material on either face but the performance of the VS-S2 ALU makes it a niggle rather than a complaint.

If you have trouble with suction on a new unit it’s possible that the vacuum motor mounts have snapped, the vacuum still works but only at around 30% of a working models output. Remove the rubber feet and check the 3 points the motor is supported at.

I have one of the earlier Project machines and have cleaned >1800 albums in almost 5 years.

It is noisy, but have had no other issues.

advertisement

Back