advertisement

Problem with a tenant who is too good?

Thanks to all for the input.
I won't post anything more on this for the time being but if and when there are developments to add, I'll update the thread.

I would speak to a solicitor.

Looks to me that the tenant believes creating facts on the ground strengthens his position.

It's because it's the tenant's *home*. You know, the place that gives them shelter, and in which they ought to feel secure. Nothing odd about it.
Exactly so. Back in the 90s I was renting a flat, one of a block of 4 laid out like a large detached house. Nice little place. One night I got in to find that the building owner had been doing some maintenance next door and he'd seen fit to let himself in my place, start a leak, soak everything in the bathroom and then mop it up with my towel. I rang the letting agent and suffice it to say that I went fxxking *mental*. I told her that if it ever happened again I'd be ringing the police and making complaints of criminal damage, aggravated trespass and if necessary generally being a c*nt in a built up area. She took it on the chin, I imagine that she then extended the favour to the maintenance manager. I certainly would have, and would now. Either way, they never again saw fit to just walk in. Nor would they, I would have killed them first and asked questions later.

Sensible people use agents,let them deal with it and offset their expenses against their tax bill. No brainer really-but landlords and their profits think they know better. In the grand scheme of things just pay the money and put your feet up. And surely be elsewhere than the shitehole that is the UK

Sensible people use agents,let them deal with it and offset their expenses against their tax bill. No brainer really-but landlords and their profits think they know better. In the grand scheme of things just pay the money and put your feet up. And surely be elsewhere than the shitehole that is the UK

Are you an agent?

Using an agent is a total pitb !!! its more stress !! One house next to mine is rented and managed by a useless agency , the gutters were full to the brim , the water causing damp down the walls ... horrendous . If i died i would rather sell up than leave it in the hand on an agent. Someone i know has just ditched their managing agent as its more stressful . its certainly not a no brainer to use an agent

Please don't get me started (again) on agents, especially those tasked with selling a property - I'm yet to meet one (out of several firms I've been in touch with in Torquay) worth their salt. I'm at the point whereby I hope a good number of them go under - not one is worth the fees their vendor is paying them.

I’m amused by the assumptions that the tenant has “mental issues”.

He could well just be a self-righteous arrogant arsehole.

For me it’s far more likely that neither is true. People do like a good over-reaction. Fine example of how people on social media can’t help but veer to extremes. Tenant has different approach to landlord is not exactly a shock. Tenant has a different perspective and a different level of emotional investment. Again, also not a shock. Equally, it does not translate that an aggressive approach on arrival means it must have been planned and nor should it fuel all manner of paranoid anxiety as to what happens next.

Very much a scenario in which, whilst legal advice might be helpful, it’s not a given that it really has to be the next step. As ever with such things a perspective is required. Get any part of the approach to this wrong and your relationship with the other tenant in the property will also be damaged and, as word gets around (as it always does quickly with these things) your relationship with all your tenants will be in danger of collapsing.

Again have seen this happen in practice. Aware of a NW landlord with 80 plus properties and 40 years good standing. Misjudged a scenario not dissimilar to this. Word got out and tenants started bailing left right and centre. He normally had maybe 5 vacancies a year. Suddenly found himself with 40 and sufficient legal action and media interest that there was never going to be a comeback.

but I thought that the landlord does not need permission to enter. All he needs to do is give the tenant notice that he wishes to enter (to inspect, say) and if the tenant does not refuse, he can use his keys to gain access..

As I've understood the situation re. visits.

The other situation where the landlord can enter without permission is when he reasonably believes there is a risk to life and limb (the tenant is ill, unconscious, say) or damage to the property (water coming from underneath the front door . . . )

As happened to me when I went to do a bit of outside painting whilst the tenant was away on holiday and saw water on the worktop & kitchen floor from a leaking boiler he'd left in functioning mode (in August !). I simply let myself in and attended to the water and leak. New boiler a few weeks later !

In all this legal/illegal controversy, reasonable behaviour must be the yardstick. Like Mandryka, I don't know the legalities, but cannot for a moment think that the landlord can be denied access after due notice and intention

Using an agent is a total pitb !!! its more stress !!

Agreed, Phil, but only if you use their caretaking services. Just for tenant find, far fewer problems. A friend lets his agent collect rents and organise tenancies and tenant requests/hassles etc., but anything needing repair or upkeep he does. They charge 5% for that, which is a bargain.

My first flat was already tenanted and I was quite happy to let the agency handle things. After a few visits, more hassles and a dawning realisation that they were totally incompetent, I took over and got the advance check-out fee (naughty!) refunded to the tenant. They'd only moved in 3 months earlier !!!!

what's to say this is just a pack of lies and the tenant is being forced to maintain the property himself and now the landlord wants help and/or advice from the pfm collective to get him evicted?

What's to say the OP didn't murder him a fortnight ago, bury him in the back garden and is now posting on a hi-fi forum in a desperate attempt to provide an alibi?

advertisement

Back