advertisement

Problem with a tenant who is too good?

And when he took the property for the first time, with the contract from the previous agency, did you give him a copy of the GSC and How to Rent booklet and the EPC? Did you protect his deposit? @dynadavid

(And can you show it to a judge?)

Yes to the above. He got the prescribed information, GSC and EPC at the beginning of the contract in 2014 and this information plus the How To Rent booklet was given to him again when he signed the new NRLA contract.

Right. Well as I said, assuming your current GSC isn’t about to expire, I’d first try to get access for an inspection. If that goes pear shaped, start s21 -assuming all the other criteria in that Nearly Legal flow chart are OK. After (not before!) issuing the s21 notice, consider whacking his rent up to the max with s13 and (if possible) using s8 Ground 12 simultaneously with the s21. If he stops paying rent, make sure he gets a CCJ, just to warn other landlords about him.

Oh, I’m not a lawyer so I may be talking nonsense, check!

@dynadavid

He must be doing well if he can afford to (offer) buy it whilst renting it. Sounds like a dodgy situation now he has had a paddy, I'd never get that attached to somewhere I was renting.

I’m puzzled by the idea that you can trespass on your own property.
Turning up unannounced may Not be trespass but could be considered an offence of harassment under the Protection from Eviction Act 1977. This is a criminal offence.

Now, Pink Fish Landlords -- imagine a scenario like this one with Renters Reform. Tenant modifies property -- let's say that he has knocked down a (load bearing?) wall -- but you don't even know because he refuses inspection.

Thanks to all for the input.
I won't post anything more on this for the time being but if and when there are developments to add, I'll update the thread.

As far as i can see it was arranged in advance on the phone so should have been fine and legal

Perhaps you should learn how to read properly?

I dropped by the house today as I was in the area and found two plasterers fully plastering the living room and the skirtings and carpet have been removed. A large stack of new 8" MDF is in the hall ready to be fitted after plastering.

I’m puzzled by the idea that you can trespass on your own property.

Why? it's the law, read it understand and then obey, it's quite simple really.

VC well spotted there , missed that
however the op clearly say in post 22 this

I spoke to the tenant by phone on Friday evening and we agreed that I would go to the house on Saturday to discuss the work that is ongoing in the flat.
As I rarely see the tenant I intended to discuss some other subjects in addition to the unapproved work:

That was different saturdays.

TBH if I was renting and the landlord just let himself to have a look around and then turned up the following saturday I'd probably slam the door in his face as well.

All we have here is one side of the story, I don't trust many things on face value so what's to say this is just a pack of lies and the tenant is being forced to maintain the property himself and now the landlord wants help and/or advice from the pfm collective to get him evicted?

intersting to read this template letter from shelter

Use this template to set out your rights around unwanted visits.

Copy it into an email or message to your landlord or agent.

[Use the subject: Visits without permission, notice or appointment]

I'm writing about your unannounced visits to [your address].

You must give me at least 24 hours' written notice if you wish to inspect the condition of the property. You can only visit at reasonable times of day.

You must tell me when and why you intend to visit so I can confirm it is convenient and arrange to be there if I want to.

You should only enter my home with my permission. I will allow access for gas safety checks or for repairs that are needed.

Visiting without an appointment or entering without my permission breaches my right to quiet enjoyment of my home.

It could also count as harassment under the Protection from Eviction Act 1977. This is a criminal offence.

I will consider reporting you to the council for enforcement action if your behaviour continues.

Please only communicate with me by email in future.

You can also send the letter as aas an email attachment or through the post:

https://england.shelter.org.uk/hous...ly enter my,Protection from Eviction Act 1977.

That was different saturdays.

TBH if I was renting and the landlord just let himself to have a look around and then turned up the following saturday I'd probably slam the door in his face as well.

All we have here is one side of the story, I don't trust many things on face value so what's to say this is just a pack of lies and the tenant is being forced to maintain the property himself?

We rented a flat back in 2005 between house sales the landlord was an absolute scumbag he was a real nasty piece of work.

I work for a few landlords and there’s no way I get into a house to work unless the tenant allows me access.

advertisement

Back