advertisement

Pro-Ac Tab 10 vs Spendor S3/5r Vs Celef LS8

compar10.jpg

Nice. Verdict?

One can not have too many neat little mini-monitors, obvs.

May I ask how many pairs of mini-monitors do you own? Are they are all in use ie. connected to amps and sources in separate systems, or they are kept somewhere in the house and rotated in the system at will?

May I ask how many pairs of mini-monitors do you own? Are they are all in use ie. connected to amps and sources in separate systems, or they are kept somewhere in the house and rotated in the system at will?

I just have the two pairs, the JR149s upstairs in my ‘near-field’ system with the SACD player and Leak Stereo 20. The Spendors are now my TV speakers sitting on the little Ikea tip-back floor stands people use with Shahinian Super Elf and driven with a Quad 303. Just positioned either side of a fairly low-mounted 50” TV. They do the job really well.

I wasn’t expecting them to work on these stands at all so initially had them there as a stop-gap (they were all I had spare) whilst I found another pair of Target R4s or whatever, but they actually sound surprisingly good so I’m leaving them be. The S3/5R have great articulation and clarity to voice and a fair bit of weight for their size. Previously I had Klipsch La Scalas in this role (now sold to Matt, amusingly), a huge high-efficiency three-way horn system, so quite a contrast to the tiny Spendors, but they suit this role very well and freed up quite a bit of space in the room. The Klipsch were always wasted here. I do really like the S3/5R a lot, they just don’t do anything wrong at all, a really nice natural and refined mini-monitor that I could happily live with in a proper hi-fi context.

advertisement

Back