advertisement

Private healthcare options

I can see NICE passing those for use in the UK eh?

But yes if you have cancer in the family or are likely to get in then it would be sensible to take out insurance protection policy for a lump sum.

Cheers,

DV
that would be 1:2 men and 1:3 women over their lifetime.

that would be 1:2 men and 1:3 women over their lifetime.

Yes but we both know its not quite as simple as that and the thing is with insurance the higher the risk the higher the cost. Each person has to look at their own situation and decide what is best for them. Young people with dependants and little capital and with a low risk profile would get cover at a relatively low cost and would be worth taking out to cover against the event of a serious health condition. I did this as a young home owner so if anything did happen my family would keep the house and have a pension to live on.

However as you get older particularly in retirement the cost of health insurance as I saw in my quote of £6200pa 30 months ago made me rethink the value. If the worst did happen then I can choose whether to spend a large amount of money for a few more weeks/months/years. There are a lot of get out clauses buried in the BUPA contract as I found out. Oh and that £6200pa wasn't a fully comp insurance as that would cost a lot more. So in my case its better to invest that money and not line Resolutions pockets.

This is another good reason to start saving for retirement as soon as you can. I started at 15 and carried on until I retired at 66 and I'm jolly glad that I did.

Cheers,

DV

i think you might think differently if it were your own life
...then again maybe not. Its not something I have gone through

but again as with hip surgery its not just Cancer but all high level drugs are very very very expensive and as you get older more and more things are out there to trip you up.

People tend to hon in on one thing and its of course a personal decision, I would rather save for my retirement and my healthcare. I can afford £70 a month on dog insurance I can afford £100 a month on healthcare so I choose to do it. Monthly, It does not impact my life in any meaningful way that, say the costs of cancer or heart failure or disease would when the NHS is eventually so stripped of funding and resources its incapable of effectively treating people.

Cav

Like nearly of all my ex Post Office colleagues, I am also in Benenden Health Care because it is dirt cheap.

I pay something daft like £16.00 pm to cover myself and Mrs Mick. To be honest, it seems too cheap too be true.

I self insure now a days and I have a reasonable fund stashed away, built up by not paying into BUPA since 2004. I budget £250 pm.

I don't know anyone who has actually made a claim with them.

I know you have to wait 6 weeks before making a claim and I was under the impression that you had to visit the Cardiff Hospital.

Did they meet your claim in full without any hassle ?

Mick

Mick

I was referred to one of their preferred consultants at the West Midlands Hospital about 20 minutes drive from where I live. I paid nothing and had to claim nothing, the Hospital billed Beneden directly.

advertisement

Back