advertisement

Private healthcare options

We've been with the Prudential for 8 years now. Me and my partner have had to have treatment a couple of times and it was no hassle at all, no questions or doubts about paying out. We have a policy with no excess or limits and our treatment was at a local private hospital - Spire.

Before that, we were with Standard Life and our broker changed us to the Pru as at that time, the premiums were cheaper for the same cover and now, they have been bought out by the Pru anyway.

Do you recommend a healthcare broker doing a policy "health check" rather than me cold calling around and seeing what's best? What are the pitfalls and advantages?

We had a broker recommended to us when we set up our business. My theory was that I couldn't be away from the business for any unnecessary length of time so wanted private medical due to a poor NHS service in the local area and a desire/need to, if the worst happened, to be treated quickly.

Generally, a broker would have access to all the available companies and could recommend a provider easier for your needs as he/she would understand which providers cover things like pre-existing conditions etc. However, as experienced in the mortgage industry, some brokers may point you towards a provider who will ultimately fit your needs BUT gives him/her a better commission rather than being the best provider.

So to be honest, a good broker will save you a lot of time and phone calls but you take your chances when finding one that will look after your interests first and his/her last.

Very happy with BUPA and i've had a few claims.

Worth checking exactly what your policy covers and setting an appropriate excess, can save a lot.

I'm also doing it through my union, we're identified as healthier than average so the groups claims history is factored in to give a 30 to 40% discount. A life dealing with toxic chemicals doesn't seem as bad as sitting down in a clean office.

Watch out for preexisting condition exclusions if you're changing frequently; you could end up covered for nothing you're likely to get eventually.

I'm a bit cynical about brokers.

Worth checking exactly what your policy covers and setting an appropriate excess, can save a lot.

It could. The only reason I went for a no excess policy was because my sister in law had 3 operations to treat the same condition and had to pay the £300 excess for each op. I'm not sure of the conditions of the policy she had so I can't be 100% certain it was right but that in itself made me go for a no excess policy to put the onus on someone else as it's the last thing I would want to worry about.

I'm a bit cynical about brokers.

I am to a degree. I used to be a mortgage broker for a short while and we always looked after the client first and didn't select mortgages based on the commissions paid. The theory being if you look after the client, you'll get repeat business. But we had many new customers who came to us and the deals they had been put on or recommended by other brokers were nothing short of profiteering by the broker as we knew that these companies paid bigger commissions but at the expense of greater mortgage premiums or longer tie ins.

But as much as this was a fact of the industry, I still maintain that a good broker can be invaluable as they will understand the industry better and be able to make recommendations accordingly.

I've got AXA PPP through work and they had no issues taking on my knackered knee. At my last company I was also on AXA and they covered all the costs to have an MRI and knee operation plus physio and out patients appointments. They even paid me £120 when I spent the one night in the private Princess Margaret hospial in Windsor for the operation.

I take which ever one my employer is providing, bupa then WP, now back to bupa. They all look the same to me. BUPA seem to be driving down consultant fees to embarrassing levels. A friend of mine told his surgeon that he was getting less than his plumber. Now there's something up there......

Was originally with Standard Life which is now rolled into Pru Health. Amongst wife and myself plus four dependants - a number of claims, no complaints.

I take which ever one my employer is providing, bupa then WP, now back to bupa. They all look the same to me. BUPA seem to be driving down consultant fees to embarrassing levels. A friend of mine told his surgeon that he was getting less than his plumber. Now there's something up there......

2005 I had an op done privately through company insurance, Standard life, I saw the bills and the consultants bill was 100UKP for a half hour consultation. Bog standard consultant, just gall bladders, hernias etc not many research papers either. Never paid a plumber any where near that, still there has been a recession since then I hear.

How much on average is the policy?

I'm paying £157.44 pcm to cover self (57) and daughter (30), will probably add partner on this year for another c£80.
i think we're on a £100 excess and decent hospitals, service has been good so far.

I've been with Benenden Health Care (formerly the Post Office and Civil Service Sanatorium Society) for over 30 years currently paying £31 per month which covers me, the wife, and 2 (adult) children.

It is different from other health care insurance in that it does not automatically provide private care unless it considers the NHS cannot provide care within a reasonable time.

For example, I needed a hernia op. Via the NHS I would have had to wait 6 months. Benenden arranged the op at a private hospital within 3 weeks.

Cav

Like nearly of all my ex Post Office colleagues, I am also in Benenden Health Care because it is dirt cheap.

I pay something daft like £16.00 pm to cover myself and Mrs Mick. To be honest, it seems too cheap too be true.

I self insure now a days and I have a reasonable fund stashed away, built up by not paying into BUPA since 2004. I budget £250 pm.

I don't know anyone who has actually made a claim with them.

I know you have to wait 6 weeks before making a claim and I was under the impression that you had to visit the Cardiff Hospital.

Did they meet your claim in full without any hassle ?

Mick

The thing is the Benenden services work on a discretionary basis i.e. not guaranteed nor is it an insurance policy.

I have been with RSA and BUPA paid for by my company for years and when I retired BUPA charged me £5800 (I had been taxed on £1600 benefit on my free membership) for family cover. That year my wife had a hip op and I got letters from the hospital saying things like "your insurer refused to pay for......" and I was charged. I got clobbered for around £800 in charges. So the following year BUPA upped the price to £6200 and I told them what they could do with it.

If you look private treatment for most common complaints cost around £2K to £4K and hip ops around £6K. So BUPA since acquired by Resolution has become a rip off. Put the cash into a fund/investment and use that for private treatment if it becomes necessary. If I live for 20 years I would avoid paying BUPA £120K+++ and how many ops would that pay for?

Cheers,

DV

DV,

My parents' neighbor (in the UK) had a hip replacement privately last year and I think it was in the region of £10-15k.

But still you raise a very good point. The old saying was not to pay to insure something you could comfortably afford to pay for.

Sean I'm a bit out of date as I last looked at op prices over two years ago. The range today in the UK for a hip op is £7500- £13450 depends where in the country you go. The higher price is for London.

Maybe cheaper going to India......... Just checked under£4K add flights and also take a holiday.

Still if you are paying the price yourself then you can pick and choose.

Cheers,

DV

Linky abroad http://www.treatmentabroad.net/cost/surgery-abroad-cost/
Linky UK http://www.privatehealth.co.uk/hospitaltreatment/whatdoesitcost/

If you look private treatment for most common complaints cost around £2K to £4K and hip ops around £6K. So BUPA since acquired by Resolution has become a rip off. Put the cash into a fund/investment and use that for private treatment if it becomes necessary. If I live for 20 years I would avoid paying BUPA £120K+++ and how many ops would that pay for?

Well,

Overall, cancer drug prices are skyrocketing. Of the 12 drugs approved by the Food and Drug Administration for various cancer conditions in 2012, 11 were priced above $100,000 for a year of treatment.
Source

I can see NICE passing those for use in the UK eh?

But yes if you have cancer in the family or are likely to get in then it would be sensible to take out insurance protection policy for a lump sum.

Cheers,

DV

advertisement

Back