advertisement

Priti Patel

Kate Hoey@CatharineHoey·23h
Had the pleasure of campaigning with@pritipatel during the referendum campaign. She is tough and determined and I believe that SENIOR civil servants in the Home Office just did not like the fact that she wanted to implement election promises and change the culture in the Dpt
” (Twitter).

I’ll just leave this one here.

Kate Hoey@CatharineHoey·23h
Had the pleasure of campaigning with@pritipatel during the referendum campaign. She is tough and determined and I believe that SENIOR civil servants in the Home Office just did not like the fact that she wanted to implement election promises and change the culture in the Dpt
” (Twitter).

I’ll just leave this one here.
Does left and right mean anything anymore? Is it all Brexit and Remain? Inward looking and outward looking? Narrow nationalism and global rationalism?

What I've found curious is that the only film I saw of PP 'apologising' was on Ch4 saying:

"I am sorry if..."

whereas the BBC tickertaped it as "I am sorry that..."

The actual phrase she used is the standard 'non apology' wording. i.e. an unspoken: "they shouldn't have felt that, regardless of what I did". Not my fault guv.

Not amazed by Hoey's reaction, though. I tend to think she became a Labour MP simply because that was what would get her elected in her area.

"they shouldn't have felt that, regardless of what I did". Not my fault guv.
I felt like she was saying that her victims needed to "man up".
She just got herself more brownie points from her gang of supporters, I sadly suspect.

Does left and right mean anything anymore? Is it all Brexit and Remain? Inward looking and outward looking? Narrow nationalism and global rationalism?

Not in the way it may have, no. Brexit saw the uniting of the culturally right wing of which there is a large chunk on the left economically and yes people feel they got a tangible result from it - we’re out. Compare that to waiting an improvement in the economics of their situation. The true ultimate results of such a choice pale compared to the immediate hit of feeling like winners for a change. The fact that it may not deliver is no different to most other political promises when viewed from that angle.

Besides, if there are significant downsides and chaos, plenty of people will be happy to be told that it’s someone else’s fault. There has been talk of Remainers wishing for a hard and chaotic Brexit - but when you think of it, if concessions are made and a compromise is reached and still it’s not good, the obvious excuse will be that it wasn’t a “proper” Brexit. To that end, it may well be better for it to stand on the most extreme form, it removes scope for people like Farage to re-ignite divisions by claiming it wasn’t hard enough.

So yes the divisions caused have re-aligned things to an extent. Matters formally viewed in purely left and right terms have become blurred.

Not in the way it may have, no. Brexit saw the uniting of the culturally right wing of which there is a large chunk on the left economically and yes people feel they got a tangible result from it - we’re out. Compare that to waiting an improvement in the economics of their situation. The true ultimate results of such a choice pale compared to the immediate hit of feeling like winners for a change. The fact that it may not deliver is no different to most other political promises when viewed from that angle.

Besides, if there are significant downsides and chaos plenty of people will be happy to be told that it’s someone else’s fault. There has been talk of Remainers wishing for a hard and chaotic Brexit - but when you think of it, if concessions are made and a compromise is reached and still it’s not good the obvious excuse is that it wasn’t “proper” Brexit so yes this has become what you say and matters of left and right have become less significant.
The last few years have also seen the right, the far right and the centre put aside their differences in order to destroy the only left wing force to emerge in 4 decades. I think it’s pretty clear that the difference between left and right matters a great deal to those who count.

The last few years have also seen the right, the far right and the centre put aside their differences in order to destroy the only left wing force to emerge in 4 decades. I think it’s pretty clear that the difference between left and right matters a great deal to those who count.

Do you think it’s possible that this isn’t a left wing electorate?

An apology from her isn’t good enough. An independent report has found Patel broke the ministerial code and was a bully.

There is no excuse for her not being sacked. In any other workplace she would be rightly shown the door for her unacceptable behaviour. The fact she’s seen as a pivotal part of Johnson’s government is why she’s got away with it. Appalling.

She is perfect for this government. Her behaviour is core Toryism. Bullying is what Tories are all about; the strong prevailing over the weak.

Do you think it’s possible that this isn’t a left wing electorate?
Well it's certainly possible that that's a different question. Also possible that it's an awful old chestnut, more simplistic than your original point, where you at least acknowledged that people can be left on some things and right on another. Concede that and you're half way to the all-important, "The electorate can change."

Well it's certainly possible that that's a different question. Also possible that it's an awful old chestnut, more simplistic than your original point, where you at least acknowledged that people can be left on some things and right on another. Concede that and you're half way to the all-important, "The electorate can change."

I think that the opposite is true - that parties change to better align to the Electorate.

Possibly. I think we do probably have a significant slice of left of centre economic and publicly funded social services outlook, but culturally it looks pretty bleak, or has done of late. The problem being that in an age of speed and instant gratification, cultural policies and tropes have far more cut through.

The last few years have also seen the right, the far right and the centre put aside their differences in order to destroy the only left wing force to emerge in 4 decades.

Caroline Lucas? She seemed absolutely fine last time I voted.

Possibly. I think we do probably have a significant slice of left of centre economic and publicly funded social services outlook, but culturally it looks pretty bleak, or has done of late. The problem being that in an age of speed and instant gratification, cultural policies and tropes have far more cut through.
Agree, although blaming things on the age of speed and instant gratification is obfuscatory IMO: it’s actually possible to name the specific institutions, groups and individuals responsible for this situation. But yes, as long as they don’t change then I don’t see the Conservatives losing their grip on 40% of the electorate until the makeup of the electorate itself changes.

I think that the opposite is true - that parties change to better align to the Electorate.
Room for some complexity there. Most people will concede that the electorate is well to the left of any mainstream party on economically matters and has been forever, but the parties have moved further and further right economically while competing to “adapt” to the electorate’s perceived cultural preferences. In other words they adapt to the electorate, as long as that means moving right. And the way to adapt to any left wing tendencies on the part of the electorate has also been to move to the right.

This makes for interesting reading Left-Authoritarians and Policy Representation in Western Europe: Electoral Choice across Ideological Dimensions

In essence, it says that a large part of the electorates have no party allegiance and tend not to change per se but its focus of concern (and thus who it votes for) reacts to a changing social / political environment. Of course, that does mean that the media can create the right 'panic' to push those voters to a particular party.

It is interesting that given the significance of this "economicaly left, socially right" section of the Electorate, that no party has formed with that set of ideals.

The Joe Hutch theory is much simpler. After, say, ten years of one party being in power, people get bored with that party and/or its leader. The party concerned makes mistakes, runs into problems (not necessarily of its own making), and the opposition starts to look vaguely attractive again, however well or badly it did last time it was in charge.

advertisement

Back