advertisement

Prince

I kind of like bits and bobs, but he's another one of those artists for me that just doesn't do it across the board. Respect the talent though, he was an amazing musician and no mistake.

Got most of his classic stuff but...there’s a bit of a “yes i can appreciate his genius but very little of his music actually emotionally connects with me”.
Not meaning to thread crap, just wondering if anyone feels similar?

Yep - similar here. I have quite a few of his records but find them strangely unengaging emotionally. They don't grab me in the way that great music usually does. He was obviously very talented, but ... mind you, I feel the same about the Beach Boys so it might just be me...

Kind of feel the same way as the last few posters, but the one moment from Prince that really grabs me is that guitar solo at the end of Let's Go Crazy ... Genius.

The more I dived in the more I got to love his stuff. I’d personally cite Sign Of The Times as the high-watermark, though I’m still missing a few albums. I love his work from a more “academic” music theory perspective too, e.g. take When Doves Cry; vocals, drum machine, ultra-minimal stripped-back keyboard riff and next to nothing else. Funky as hell, a dance-floor classic, and it hasn’t even got a bass line (a lot of his stuff hasn’t)! It is just genius.

Got most of his classic stuff but...there’s a bit of a “yes i can appreciate his genius but very little of his music actually emotionally connects with me”.
Not meaning to thread crap, just wondering if anyone feels similar?

Sounds like me.......:(

I saw Prince on the Lovesexy tour in London, July 88, tickets were freebie from a friends older sister, she was supposed to see him on the Sign of the times tour the previous year only the London dates had been cancelled.
Great performance from a great artist, great front man, singer and guitarist, he did a medley in the show seated at the grand piano which was excellent, no doubt a musical genius.

I loved the Springsteen tribute a couple of days after he'd died - almost unrehearsed. They got it note perfect the next day ;)

Prince - one of the most talented musicians and performers we've ever seen. Can play everything and dance about and do the splits in high heels. Saw him on the SOTT and Lovesexy tours and will never forget them - he knew how to put on a show!

1-hour session with 3rdeyegirl drummer Hannah Welton. Groovy and spirited.

Watched this a couple of days ago. Interesting that he was teaching her how to make her playing funkier by making a few small adjustments.

On one level he must have been really intimidating for any musician to play with, the thought could always be there 'man, he's better at my instrument than I am.' On the other hand he seems to have been incredibly generous (musically) with his musicians, albeit with the occasional reminder who was the boss. "His name is Gouche, and he's 4 bars late..."

Found a newer version of the Montreaux 2013 gigs, without the 'greatest hits' being edited out. First one is the best video quality, although the third one is probably my favourite musically.

Prince - one of the most talented musicians and performers we've ever seen. Can play everything and dance about and do the splits in high heels. Saw him on the SOTT and Lovesexy tours and will never forget them - he knew how to put on a show!

I have quite a few of the studio albums, bought the remastered Sign O' The Times a few months back.

I confess though that the stuff I listen to most is from the 'live' shows. He's oddly under represented in terms of 'live' albums, I'd love to get the Montreaux shows from 2009 and 2013 on CD. The latter are available as bootlegs, which kind of goes against my principles, but I must admit there are times when I'm sorely tempted.

Bought a Japanese Blu-Spec CD version of the One Nite Alone box set last year, some really good stuff on there. Almost doubled in price in a year though, I paid around 60 quid for mine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0851LS29N/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

He breathes out occasionally on the live sets, sometimes the studio albums sound over-crowded — man trying to fit in too many ideas in a hurry I guess.

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
VERY envious of anyone seeing him live. Wow.

I was a 'usual' buyer of Purple Rain in the day, 13 at the time so moulded in my brain. Couldn't make too much sense of it tbh, it fit no catagory & oddly unique. I played it mostly waiting for the solo end of the main title song which "sent me to outer space" as someone recently said of it, so perfectly.

20 years later passed before I really understood the music, & a huge fan since. Purple Rain is actually one of his best too, if not my favourite. I never got the sheila E drumming thing tho. Still don't really tbh!

When he died I was actually a bit sad, by then realising what a cut above he was, really every musician alive at the time. His music the perfect eg of a 'grower'. The Superbowl halftime show.. was a benchmark live performance sitting up on a pinnacle-perch alongside Queen's at Live Aid I think. Imagine actually being there..!

When he was ahead of the times he was very good, but after Diamonds And Pearl's he was playing catch-up. A bit like Kraftwerk, but at least they have been savvy enough to stop writing new music.

This live version of Joan Osborne’s - “one of us” on his Emancipation Tour is rather good,
it stuck with me after seeing all those years ago, especially the solo from 2:45 and at the end.

advertisement

Back