advertisement

Prince

Conan

Loop digger
Last week whilst driving home U got the look played on bbc 6 and it took me back in time.
Prince was my favourite pop artist from the 80s. I was lucky enough to see him live where I confirmed that he was a perfectionist.
U got the look is a snipped of Prince at his best. His lyrics, arrangements, guitar solo, Sheila E on percussion and an amazing duo with Sheena Easton all amazing.
The man was a genius.

Any love for Prince?

Yep love Prince and saw him on the Purple Rain tour. It was stunningly good and I didn’t realise what a fantastic guitarist he was until then. Probably the best night out I’ve ever had.

RIP

Prince. Saw him on the Love Sexy tour. Without doubt the most entertaining concert I have ever attended.
Me too.
I also saw the sign o the times tour. Superb. Great band, great visuals, a genuinely memorable occasion.
Can you imagine if he had ever headlined Glastonbury?

I never got Prince at the time, I was all out doing the indie kid thing, but really like his work now. Hugely annoying as I’d loved to have seen him live, especially around Sign Of The Times. Truly amazing stuff.

I think that one of the signs of true musical greatness is the artist's signature.
Prince music was unique, every record sounded like a Prince record, he did not copy anyone.

I like Prince and his work.

I remember seeing some concert footage in the 80's (saw it a few times, so must have been on VHS !) and Prince appeared to be making sweet love to his microphone, mic stand and or the stage.
I can understand why he had pain in his knees/legs as the man could strut his stuff big time.

It is great regret that I never saw him live.

Recently I have being playing Musicology from 2004 (c.d.) quite a bit, had it for years and hardly played it.
I also have 2010 (from 2010 :p) on c.d. which I have hardly played . I hope this is a grower like Musicology is to me.

I play frequently:
Diamonds & Pearls
Sign "O" The Times
Around The World In A Day
Parade
Lovesexy
Love Symbol
Purple Rain ost

probably in that order of frequency.

I can understand why he had pain in his knees/legs as the man could strut his stuff big time.

There’s a part of the Sign Of The Times movie (in the amazing version of Housequake I think) where he jumps off the drum stage (at least a three foot drop) wearing crazy high heels and lands doing the splits. I’m astonished his hips lasted as long as they did! He really was a nutter, but in a brilliant way. Not many people can assemble such an astonishingly strong, talented and well-rehearsed band and still be able to play every instrument better than anyone else! It is so sad his story had the ending it did, he deserved so much more.

There’s a part of the Sign Of The Times movie (in the amazing version of Housequake I think) where he jumps off the drum stage (at least a three foot drop) wearing crazy high heels and lands doing the splits. I’m astonished his hips lasted as long as they did! He really was a nutter, but in a brilliant way. Not many people can assemble such an astonishingly strong, talented and well-rehearsed band and still be able to play every instrument better than anyone else! It is so sad his story had the ending it did, he deserved so much more.

Yes, I can see him doing that in my head.

Always looked like it would smash ones testicles.

Ian Penman's essay on Prince from It Get Me Home This Curving Track is one of the finest pieces of writing about music I've come across. The final paragraph is one of the most beautifully measured and moving I've read - anywhere. Just beautiful.

You might be able to access here - ( I subscribe but you used to be able to read the occasional article for free.)

https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v41/n12/ian-penman/the-question-of-u

Prince was the best live act by a big name star I've ever seen and by a country mile.
He climbed a rope ladder, got on a "Tarzan rope", swang right across the stage and landed on his grand piano which he rolled off and landed in the piano seat and seamlessly started playing!
Did several Hendrix covers which showed his guitar prowess and his horn section covered a few Charlie Parker numbers.... which had the "little red corvette" expecting audience rather nonplussed but put a smile on my face!

Last edited:
Me too.
I also saw the sign o the times tour. Superb. Great band, great visuals, a genuinely memorable occasion.
Can you imagine if he had ever headlined Glastonbury?

If only!!!

Only Prince could have put that show on...

He would have blown the collective Glastonbury minds if he had ever headlined!

I saw him in 1990 and 1992 both on the hallowed ground of Maine Road, just did a bit of internet digging about the set lists etc and came upon this:

I’ll be watching this later, the quality doesn’t look great, but it’s the exact concert I went to.

He's one of those artists I respect hugely but don't actually own much of his output.

However, I adore the Dirty Mind album.

This will sound odd but there isn't much of his music I really play. Exception is Little Red Corvette

BUT I agree that he was a stunning live act. Totally agree with @Arkless Electronics

I saw Prince at the O2 in London and tickets were very reasonable (around £37 and a free CD of his latest album on every seat). Easily the best live gig I've been to - the music and production fantastic. Brilliant musician. Voice pitch perfect. He went up hugely in my estimations after that gig - I hadn't appreciated all his talents.

I only have his 1999 and best of albums. Any others worth a listen? Are they all very different?

I'd welcome a separate thread where someone explains the differences in style between his albums

This will sound odd but there isn't much of his music I really play. Exception is Little Red Corvette

BUT I agree that he was a stunning live act. Totally agree with @Arkless Electronics

I saw Prince at the O2 in London and tickets were very reasonable (around £37 and a free CD of his latest album on every seat). Easily the best live gig I've been to - the music and production fantastic. Brilliant musician. Voice pitch perfect. He went up hugely in my estimations after that gig - I hadn't appreciated all his talents.

I only have his 1999 and best of albums. Any others worth a listen? Are they all very different?

I'd welcome a separate thread where someone explains the differences in style between his albums

I think some of his albums need a few listens,

Around The World In A Day and Diamonds and Pearls are different but both good.

Got most of his classic stuff but...there’s a bit of a “yes i can appreciate his genius but very little of his music actually emotionally connects with me”.
Not meaning to thread crap, just wondering if anyone feels similar?

I don't listen to his music that much but consider him to have been a true genius. It's just all there: showmanship, attitude, skill and a wealth of ideas for compositions and sounds (as in band sounds). I think his sense of humour was also bigger than most people would think. My faves -- although shunned by many real fans -- are Musicology and The Rainbow Children.

There's a live show on Youtube from Switzerland not too long ago (8 or 9 years maybe?) with a huge ensemble ... an amazing show.

Prince was a genus. Ridiculously talented. Has output in the 80's and early '90's was absolutely stellar.
I saw him only once, on his last tour when he was clearly struggling.
Sad that his religion did for him. One of the greats.

advertisement

Back