advertisement

Prince Philip RIP

The Prime Minister will not be attending the funeral.

Hmmm, maybe a clause in the D of Es last will and testament on barring depiffles funeral attendance.

He cannot bear the presence of fools even in his afterlife, respects for the taste and class of the deceased Duke.

We might even listen to music... surely we all share that interest.

I tried that last night - wall to wall dirge across all Beeb channels, including the ones I listen to specifically (3 and 6)
Pretty much the same crap again tonight - classical dirge on 3 and ambient dirge on 6.

Tokenist management BS in case the poor little flag wavers get upset ....

That was my thinking. Every single account qualified the announcement with ‘so that another family member can attend’.

Buckingham Palace said:
Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith.

Hereby invites The Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, the Right Honourable Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, to attend the funeral of His Royal Highness Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh. +1

However, Covid, mate, so if you and Princess Nut Nuts rock up, a real Princess, or Duchess or something like that, can’t, so, you know...

Bit of a contradiction here don’t you think. If you think it’s an idiot box why do you watch it? And if you don’t, how do you know it’s an idiot box?

Cos its nice to be an idiot occasionally and let the TV take the strain, nowt wrong with that. Shouldn't rule our lives though and so much available now on demand, avoiding something we don't like is easy. I don't like TV news, soaps, celebrity game shows, football, reality shows and a whole bunch of other broadcast TV that dominates the schedules but still find stuff that I do like, mostly recorded and watched when I want to.

Just something that struck me as I was listening to the endless hagiographic coverage, how Mountbatten engineered the meeting of them at the Captain’s House at Dartmouth Naval College when they were those ages, and then subsequently encouraged them to correspond.

Think how that would be viewed these days if it was conducted over, for instance, WhatsApp or similar. Seems pretty seedy from a modern day point of view.
Try to think of it like a game of chess. You manoeuvre your pawns so that, in the end, they are placed where they will do most good in your plan. At no point, do you say to them, ‘now go shag that one over there, that’s a good boy’.

as an average guy on the street of England and the wrong end of 50, i think it really is an end of a era, i just hope the queen can get past this, although i think she will go now in the next two years, RIP

I tried that last night - wall to wall dirge across all Beeb channels, including the ones I listen to specifically (3 and 6)
Pretty much the same crap again tonight - classical dirge on 3 and ambient dirge on 6.

Tokenist management BS in case the poor little flag wavers get upset ....
Clever enough to politicise your tale of woe but not quite clever enough to boot up the BBC Sounds app where you can listen to any programme from prior to the Duke's passing. This is the problem with red faced spitting anger, you fail to think laterally.

Clever enough to politicise your tale of woe but not quite clever enough to boot up the BBC Sounds app where you can listen to any programme from prior to the Duke's passing. This is the problem with red faced spitting anger, you fail to think laterally.

Clever enough to point out the obvious but not clever enough to think I may have already listened to the prior programmes when they were broadcast.
All this so you can spout some red faced spitting anger at those who don't fawn over the mob of spongers at and around Buck palace ...

Clever enough to point out the obvious but not clever enough to think I may have already listened to the prior programmes when they were broadcast.
All this so you can spout some red faced spitting anger at those who don't fawn over the mob of spongers at and around Buck palace ...
I'm just amazed a grown adult can't find something else to do but listen to R6 and R3.

I'm just amazed a grown adult can't find something else to do but listen to R6 and R3.
I think it’s less that there’s nothing to do than resentment at the state broadcaster attempting to determine the routine and mood of the nation, plus embarrassment at its craven attempts to placate right wingers with all this virtue signalling.

I think it’s less that there’s nothing to do than resentment at the state broadcaster attempting to determine the routine and mood of the nation, plus embarrassment at its craven attempts to placate right wingers with all this virtue signalling.
I would have understood the BBC giving over BBC1 to Phil’s memory. That’s respectful and recognises his role in British life, and is what a state broadcaster could be expected to do. But doubling up on 2, and canning 4 for the night just looks like they were afraid to rile the right wing who would have accused them of being disrespectful by continuing scheduled programming. That’s craven, and dumb, and shows their enemies how easily they can be cowed.

I would have understood the BBC giving over BBC1 to Phil’s memory. That’s respectful and recognises his role in British life, and is what a state broadcaster could be expected to do. But doubling up on 2, and canning 4 for the night just looks like they were afraid to rile the right wing who would have accused them of being disrespectful by continuing scheduled programming. That’s craven, and dumb, and shows their enemies how easily they can be cowed.

And as it turns out they've had record numbers of complaints about their blanket coverage over both TV and Radio.

But doubling up on 2, and canning 4 for the night just looks like they were afraid to rile the right wing who would have accused them of being disrespectful by continuing scheduled programming. That’s craven, and dumb, and shows their enemies how easily they can be cowed.

It is effectively propaganda and veers uncomfortably towards totalitarianism in very deliberately removing viewing options from people who may not support a monarchy or are just disinterested/bored with repetitive discussion of news they had already heard hours ago. I have to admit I’m disgusted by the way the BBC dealt with this. It is what I’d expect the media in North Korea to do.

Running the story on BBC 1 was all they needed to do. Even the most fanatical flag-waving royalist can’t possibly watch more than one channel at once. Canning everything else is the behaviour of an extremist state IMHO. Yet another indicator as to the UK’s current position on the political map.

Again, this is a remarkably elderly man who lived a good life dying of old age. It happens. Yes, we all have huge sympathy with Liz W, as we do for anyone who loses a loved one at any age, but it isn’t a story that changes over time or repetition. He died. Nothing can possibly change that. Report it and move on. Cover the funeral on BBC1, but please leave the rest of us with something else to watch on the other channels! Philip wasn’t Stalin and I like to think this isn’t a dictatorship. We don’t need it absolutely rammed down our throats.

I've absolutely no idea if this is true, but one of my dog walking friends said this morning that the BBC got it in the neck from certain quarters for lack of sufficient deferential coverage when HRH
Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother died, so they decided to go over the top this time round.

I've absolutely no idea if this is true, but one of my dog walking friends said this morning that the BBC got it in the neck from certain quarters for lack of sufficient deferential coverage when HRH
Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother died, so they decided to go over the top this time round.
It’s the usual pattern and they never learn. There’s no future in sucking up to people who hate them on principle while flicking v-signs at supporters.

From a viewer perspective, it was very similar - a lot of complaints about excessive coverage and interruptions to programmes. Never let it be said the BBC doesn’t take any notice of license-payers opinions...

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2002/apr/02/bbc.queenmother1

And Peter Sissons was condemned for announcing the news wearing a Burgundy-coloured tie (which could of course have been his own little tribute.) It just goes to show that some people can get angry about anything and everything (but as pfm members we knew that already!)

advertisement

Back