1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Price for DIY hifi

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by philiphifi, Oct 11, 2019 at 11:23 AM.

1. philiphifi

philiphifi pfm Member

hi - is there a market for DIY hifi? i built two Kondo M7 preamps with expensive chassis and parts and i want to sell one but i suspect that no one will buy it. it was checked over by a proper electrician with full report but there is no CE stamp obviously. Is it even legal to sell it?

2. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

DIY hifi has no track record and seems to attract VERY little attention and money.

I have been involved with CE marking fiascos in the past and they actually mean very little of any real worth. That said, a good friend who is an electronics engineer has assured me in the past that sticking a CE sticker on anything (they are or were available by the roll from RS) is entirely allowable under the rules. Basically, a CE mark states that the kit, whatever it is, conforms to a list of standards that you yourself declare.

3. James Evans

James Evans Bedroom Bodger

I think it's well understood within the diy community that you are buying from one diy enthusiast to another, and there is no implied certification or warranty. There's a diy classifieds room here, on diyaudio, and other forums. As long as it is clearly sold as being diy it's fine I would have thought.

4. philiphifi

philiphifi pfm Member

but legally if the buyer gets electrocuted then who's liable?

5. early

early pfm Member

I've built stuff for ( personal use ) and sold it on when I fancied a change , so there is a market out there . However compared to your initial outlay you will get very little back , maybe half of what the parts cost .

6. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

7. JimmyB

JimmyB pfm Member

Hence why many people are wise to sell on a 'not working, parts only' basis. The risk otherwise is palpable.

8. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

The buyer, unless the seller has built an obvious death trap. Same applies to cars etc, as a private seller your experience is expected to be minimal. If the brakes are obviously not working then this is apparent, and you would reasonably be expected to tell the buyer, otherwise it's his problem if a fault appears.

9. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

I suspect that the only way that you'd get away with that would be if you denied that you built it. Joe Public does not build cars.

10. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

I build some stuff to sell, notably the Paradise phonostage. It's not ce marked, though its built to all the relevant specs. If you have a reputation for building quality sounding product you can fetch a decent price. That said while I'm not giving them away theyd be at least twice the price if retailed, probably 2.5x.

jamie123 likes this.
  11. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

^^ It's also not mains powered...………………….

12. h.g.

h.g. pfm Member

As a rule of thumb I would agree with the poster above. DIY kit tends to follow the price of the parts which if second hand and in good condition might be 50% of the parts price. However, the people likely to be interested are other DIYers and so the number of potential buyers is almost certainly going to be pretty small.

13. Joe

Joe pfm Member

It is powered by a power supply that is mains powered.

14. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

A PSU that is also not off-the-shelf?

15. chiily

chiily PFM Special Builder

Not in the case of Simon's built Paradise phono stages.

16. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

Joe may not build them, however Kit most certainly does. If sold with a current MOT they are considered safe. (disclaimer- an MOT is only current on the day of assessment)

The buyer could have a fresh MOT or RAC/AA survey to prove such.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Kit-Cars/183487/bn_2316280?_pgn=2

17. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

The whole notion of liability and compensation claim is a modern ...well lets leave it there.

18. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

Most definitely not an off shelf psu in the paradise. Theres 400 worth of parts in just the psu excluding casework. But unlike selling kit you've built they are built bespoke to order, it's a different game, I guess.

I'd have no qualms buying DIY from a third party though in all likelihood I'd just build whatever myself.

Most small brands start of building for themselves, then for like minded punters, then maybe they become a brand, if that's the intent. For me, building the Paradise is more like giving someone a gift. I'll only build you one if I like you. It's not a money making enterprise.

misterdog and martin clark like this.
  19. Darren L

Darren L pfm Member

A motor vehicle whether, car, trike or bike when built from parts must pass SVA to be legal.