advertisement

Previously happy LP12 owners who moved on.....

Lp12, Aro, goldring rebuilt Karma , hercules, pre cirkus. moved to kuzma stabi, then to the 12" version. That was 12 years ago.

Linn designed the thing, not Hamish Robertson. If you look at the facts of the whole situation this is very obvious. I'm no fan of what Linn have become, or even were back then, but they did not steal this turntable.
I'm sure you're right. I was just making a macabre joke, although my understanding is that it first appeared as an Ariston product. When you think how much it owes to Thorens and AR the authorship isn't really a big deal.

I certainly think linn made them all, but I'm unsure how much of the rd11 was hamish and how much was linn, the single point bearing was linn.

To be fair all the rd11 was a generic, AR clone, only placement and size was unique, concept, nah.

The single-point bearing for a turntable was invented by William P. Lear in the 1950s. This innovation significantly improved the stability and precision of turntable mechanisms.

William P. Lear was affiliated with Lear Jet Corporation, a company he founded in 1960. However, his invention of the single-point bearing for a turntable was unrelated to this company and occurred earlier in his career.

I certainly think linn made them all, but I'm unsure how much of the rd11 was hamish and how much was linn, the single point bearing was linn.

To be fair all the rd11 was a generic, AR clone, only placement and size was unique, concept, nah.

But the fluted plinth is everything and the real source of the Sondek's success. The plain plinths just look like a Thorens, and who wants that? I'm not sure whether history relates who came up with the fluted plinth, but as a teenager that was what impressed me. I still love it today. Whatever its sins, it is still my prettiest turntable ever. The Ariston kicked that off, I think.

I had the Afromosia fluted plinth, very nice but I much prefer my current Voyd in Mahogany.

The Avondale RMS Genesis I have is a nice looking old fashioned plinth, well made but maybe not as nice looking as the fluted Afromosia Linn.

But the fluted plinth is everything and the real source of the Sondek's success. The plain plinths just look like a Thorens, and who wants that? I'm not sure whether history relates who came up with the fluted plinth, but as a teenager that was what impressed me. I still love it today. Whatever its sins, it is still my prettiest turntable ever. The Ariston kicked that off, I think.
I agree, the fluted plinth is the best bit of the LP12. The lower half in black and bevelled makes it look slimmer, and the flutes make it look very elegant and distinctive. It's funny, because if you have a circular saw, and cabinet makers do, it's the easiest thing in the world to do.

I think the original Gyro is prettier though. Also some of the USA designs of the 80s.

I agree, the fluted plinth is the best bit of the LP12. The lower half in black and bevelled makes it look slimmer, and the flutes make it look very elegant and distinctive. It's funny, because if you have a circular saw, and cabinet makers do, it's the easiest thing in the world to do.

I think the original Gyro is prettier though. Also some of the USA designs of the 80s.
Against popular opinion, I much prefer the non fluted plinths.
The flutes look a bit too fussy for me, but I would have still bought one if I had won the bid when I bought mine,
I had bid on 6 or 7 LP12s before i got my black one but they all went over my self imposed limit of 600 pounds including an Ittok.

What I like about the fluted plinth is that it is so distinctive. I've lost count of the number of pro musos who are interviewed at home in the study/music room/etc and in the background there it is, a fluted LP12, usually in afro. Instantly recognisable, and very classy looking.Easy to restore as well, unless they are actually damaged, because the quality of the components is high.

The lower half in black and bevelled makes it look slimmer, and the flutes make it look very elegant and distinctive. It's funny, because if you have a circular saw, and cabinet makers do, it's the easiest thing in the world to do.
No it isn't. Getting them perfectly straight and even, matching up at the corners and not getting any break-out or chipping on highly figured hardwood is not easy. In fact I'd say there was no way you could do it with a circular saw. You'd never get the 4,4,4 spacing right. It's tricky with a spindle router.
I certainly think linn made them all, but I'm unsure how much of the rd11 was hamish and how much was linn, the single point bearing was linn. To be fair all the rd11 was a generic, AR clone, only placement and size was unique, concept, nah.
I don't think much of the design at all was Hamish. I think the idea was his but Castle actually designed the thing. And if you think about it, the configuration already existed in other products, the Thorens and AR, so what exactly did Hamish contribute?

Castle were really good engineers, there is ample evidence of that. Hamish was not a qualified engineer. He had the same opportunity as Linn/Castle did going forward but Ariston did not capitalise on it.

It is now because today it's out of fashion but in the seventies flutes were a very common feature on everything from furniture to TVs and radios.
It was more common in the 70sfor sure, and previously in the various Danish inspired designs, but I can't think of a record deck from that period that has flutings like an LP12, hence why I find it so distinctive. None of the Thorens, for a start. AR - no. Ariston - no, I don't think.

When I updated my plinth I went to a non fluted one, I think that was becoming the fashion some 15/20 years or so ago. Linn had stopped making them at some stage too.

My original fluted afromosa plinth looked rather old in comparison. So at the time I decided for a change ( actually not sure fluted was a choice then). Now, today I am still happy with my plinth but I do feel the fluted plinth is coming back in fashion & looking better than ever due to the nice fancy woods it is now available in. Either way I think I'd be happy with either. In fact if I could I would rather have the non fluted with the logo etched into the front of the plinth. I think that would look real class.

Yes and no.

Funnily enough, it was a Linn dealer that first introduced me to Pink Triangle.

The overlords of Linn soon put a stop to their dealers carrying rival products though.

Arthur Khoubesserian's approach was like a breath of fresh air.

PT decks were supplied with an Allen key, a pipe cleaner and a piece of pink string. Served me well for 30 years.

It's all you need. And a dab of 3 in 1.

PS: ... and a pair of pink cotton gloves, also supplied, to keep greasy hands off the pristine platter.
The PT1 with vector mods is an excellent deck. I use mine with a Zeta. The motor plus controller upgrade which is a part of this gives huge speed stability. Had this combo a long time. No need to ever change it.

My original fluted afromosa plinth looked rather old in comparison. So today I am still happy with my plinth but I do feel the fluted plinth is coming back in fashion & looking better than ever due to the nice fancy woods it is now available in.
Hedge your bets ;0)
440430303_1175763573866978_2908025273786273325_n.jpg

advertisement

Back