advertisement

Previously happy LP12 owners who moved on.....

ex brickie

pfm Member
First I'm not interested in the many on here who make a sport of slagging off the LP12 .... I'm interested to hear from those who have enjoyed an LP12 but found something else equally or more satisfying.

I am an LP12 owner. I've owned Linn pre and power amps but didn't take to them (I now have Rega amplification). I've also owned Saras and Isobariks - both of which I improved on. I'm a fan of Linn Tukan and later Linn Kans (still own a pair of each but they aren't in my main system). I therefore like to think I'm pretty objective in my views of Linn equipment (even though my opinions on how they sound are of course subjective).

However I don't like the company or their dealers. Another thread has highlighted what we already know - Linn don't keep spares for as long as other decent manufacturers and therefore have earlier built-in obsolescence. The other is their dealers - many of whom are awful. Rude, up their own a****s, condescending and unhelpful.

So, while I like the sound of my LP12, I'll always have a worry about the next big bill (service, power supply failing out of warranty, some other problem). I'm now open to finding a replacement turntable that has an accurate sound (yes, I know some of you say the LP12 sound isn't accurate) , reliability, less built in obsolescence (ie a brand with longer lasting spares), a company with exemplary customer service and something needing less/no servicing.

My other (potentially unreasonable) need is not to have a huge outlay for a replacement (ie the net outlay from selling or trading in my LP12). I will buy secondhand. It may be that this isn't possible - in which case I just keep and enjoy the LP12 and wait for the next bill.

The spec of my LP12 is Khan, Karousel, Greenstreet, Lingo 4 and Javelin arm. Also a Dynavector cartridge but I might just transfer that (and indeed the arm if possible) to a new deck. I haven't looked into what that spec of deck is worth secondhand but I'm sure many on here will have a good idea.

What have previous LP12 lovers moved on to, why and how does the SQ compare? I won't buy without finding one and having a demo.

No point making silly suggestions that (for example) a Rega RP8 or Technics SL1200 will be an improvement because they patently aren't better.

If there's another thread that has some of the info, please point me to it (searches don't seem to work that well on here). I'd welcome up to date views from those who have moved on.....

For what it's worth, when (ten or more years ago) my Linn dealer told me he was retiring, I sold my LP12-Ittok LVII-Troika (Cirkus-Lingo 2) and got a 2nd hand SME 20/2a.
At the time the change cost me about the same as one of the proposed upgrades (Keel sub chassis / Ekos arm / Urika phono stage / latest power supply).
I'm still pleased with the SME.

I never got on with Linn amps either - they bored me.

A Well Tempered Amadeus is what has replaced the LP12 as my number 1 deck. I'd wanted to try one after reading great things about them and having had the Linn close to 30 years just fancied something different anyway. Then one came up locally at a decent price. I can't call it moving on as the Linn is still there, but it only gets the occasional outing now and really needs to find a new home.

I like the design philosophy, the straightforward setup, pretty much nonexistent upgrade path and that I don't risk borking bearings by accidentally knocking the platter or arm. I can change cartridge without removing the arm and for a fiver have enough belts to last until we have an honest government. They sound pretty bloody good too, and mine (GTAa apparently, with an acrylic layer between aluminium, or the other way around) I think looks great. There are a couple of Versalexes on offer here, which keep turning my head.

The deck I am using the most though is a 1970s JVC direct drive beast I picked up for next to nothing. I'd wanted a fully automatic second (well, fourth, but I digress) deck that I could happily play anything on in decent quality and with minimal effort, but I found out that after a service and with an AT-VM95ML on it it sings. I definitely think the feeling of having bagged a bargain makes me think it sounds better than it does, but I like the idea of that too, and it certainly beats shelling out thousands and constantly having is-my-deck-really-that-great-sounding? anxiety.

PS: Linn can't be that good at looking after its dealers, at least here in France - these days Linn dealers are very thin on the ground here. I live in the 3rd major city district with a population of over 1 million - no Linn dealer anywhere remotely near.

In 2002 I sold and LP12, then had the following

Michelle Orbe
SP1210MK5G - Various mods
Michell Gyro SE
and im 2016 back with an Lp12 that's just had its 8th anniversary!

Full circle

Yes i did, about 7 years ago. I had Lp12/ARO/Lingo also with Dynavector 17D3 cart.

I bought a stock Technics 1210 and made modest upgrades - rewired arm, Achromat, Fluid damper and the best MM cart i could find.
I can honestly say i don't miss the LP12. The technics is not better in absolute SQ terms but not too much of a compromise either.
Plus i play ALL of my records now (not just to ones which sound good) and have bought more vinyl than all my time with the LP12, i never did that in the past.

When you consider the massive price differential here it makes the LP12 seem massively overpriced for what it does. And i liked what the LP12 does btw, so not Linn bashing either.

I've since learned a lot more about turntables in general, DIY and cartridge compliance, compatibility etc
and trusting listening with my own ears a lot more so its been an educational journey.

I had an LP12 for 22 years, starting off with Basik arm and cartridge, and upgrading to Cirkus/Lingo/Aro/Troika. Like @uncl_nigel, I moved to an SME 20/2a when the Keel came out. After demoing the Keel, I could not justify the cost of the Keel relative to a new SME. I've had the SME for 17 years now, and it's required no maintenance other than a new belt every 5 years or so, a drop of oil annually, and replacing a couple suspension bands. I much prefer the SME.

For context, I had LK280/Kairn, but found subsequent amps much better at a lower cost, e.g. Exposure, Crimson, and now Modwright. I had Isobariks for a couple years, and really enjoyed them.

Hi @ex brickie -- I have no intention of selling my LP12, but I might add another turntable at some point, in which case I'd want a Garrard or a Thorens TD-124. Repairable forever and no big bills lurking!

If I lived in the UK, I probably would have bought one of these very nice examples:

Moved to Rega RP10. I found myself tinkering with the lp12 every time I used it.
Not much to tinker with the RP10, just listen.
Different sound, but doesn’t take long to get used to the new sound signature.

Fwiw I think the LP12 is a lovely turntable, a real design classic even though it's debatable as to whether or not it's actually their design.

Like you I'm not a fan of the company, their dealers I've met (though it'd be wrong to tar them all with the same brush) or their electronics and speakers I've actually heard.

For longevity, simplicity, VFM and absolute sound quality I would recommend you take a listen to the best Nottingham Analogue deck you can afford with your current tonearm and cartridge combination.
All of their models are very simple machines, I'd say the sweet spot for VFM is the Hyperspace, I haven't heard them all but I had the Interspace, Hyperspace and currently a Dais.
Most models from the Spacedeck upwards will take any tonearm or two if you fancy, no weight or length restrictions.
You could buy a couple of extra belts and motors (they're not expensive) and have a TT that will last for a very long time, no unnecessary suspension or clever electronics just top quality mechanical engineering.

If you'd like a higher quality fit and finish I'd look at Brinkmann, beautiful build quality, as good as it gets imho and Brinkmann do service everything they've ever made, all be it in Germany.

The only thing that is likely to go wrong on your LP12 is the Lingo 4. The rest is about as complicated as a pile of wooden blocks so should be fine. Any PSU can fail but it's easy enough to swap them out so I'd just keep the deck and deal with any PSU issues if and when they arise.

People have happily moved on from the old Linn to many other turntables. Well Tempered and Technics are popular alternatives. The problem is that just because others are happy with their new record players doesn't mean you will be. I ran an RP10 for two years and never found it satisfying, I also think the Technics misses some things the LP12 gets right but lots of people are happy with both of those decks. All you can do is try them and see.

Personally, I don't have any reason or desire to move away from the LP12 again. I love the way it makes music and that's all I need.

I did own an LP12 for over 25 years, and managed to get seriously pissed off by one of their uber-snooty dealers along the way, but I didn't move on to another turntable. As a lover of classical music, I decided that digital was the way forward.

I think my LP12 was an excellent analogue source, but Linn lost the plot many years ago.

Last edited:
The only thing that is likely to go wrong on your LP12 is the Lingo 4. The rest is about as complicated as a pile of wooden blocks so should be fine. Any PSU can fail but it's easy enough to swap them out so I'd just keep the deck and deal with any PSU issues if and when they arise.

People have happily moved on from the old Linn to many other turntables. Well Tempered and Technics are popular alternatives. The problem is that just because others are happy with their new record players doesn't mean you will be. I ran an RP10 for two years and never found it satisfying, I also think the Technics misses some things the LP12 gets right but lots of people are happy with both of those decks. All you can do is try them and see.

Personally, I don't have any reason or desire to move away from the LP12 again. I love the way it makes music and that's all I need.

I think that’s where there is overlap between the LP12 and the WT. Both are highly musical, engaging, rhythmic decks, I’ve found the WT makes everything sound lovely which the LP12 doesn’t. Its speed stability is also excellent.

I used to own an LP12 and did so for many happy years (25 plus). However, whenever I saw a Gyrodec I just wanted it for those looks but never liked the perspex 'case'... then they produced the skeletal SE and my want want into overdrive, but I was still happy with the sound of the Linn so it never happened.

Fast forward to around 2017 and I realised I was hardly using the LP12 so I parted it out and sold it for good money. Before long though I started to miss my records and eventually (3 years on) decided I wanted a turntable back in my life (realising I probably never should have sold the LP12) so thought sod it... and as a stop gap bought a black pre-owned Gyrodec with an RB330 arm and Rega Ania. The plan was to see how much I used it and then go for another LP12 if I found myself engaging properly with vinyl again.

Well I did engage with vinyl, but I decided I loved the sound and looks of the Gyrodec so much I would just keep it. Is it as good as my LP12/Ekos/Arkiv/Lingo?... probably not, but it is not far off and.... those looks. It's a design classic... so glad I have one at last. The LP12 is a fine turnable, but a looker it is not... The Gyro is a very very good turnable and a masterclass of industrial design. The really odd thing though is I feel no need to upgrade it... I just listen to records. There's something to be said for that... the Gyro may not be technically as good as my Linn, but what it does. it does very well indeed and.... did I mention those looks? :D

I’ve found the WT makes everything sound lovely which the LP12 doesn’t.
It's not the LP12 itself, it's largely Linn tonearms although other components can have an impact. The speed stability issue is also real, suspended decks are always going to struggle with that, but set up correctly with a good PSU the speed stability of the LP12 is very good. A lot of people just don't seem able to set them up and you don't get away with mistakes.

The LP12 is a very likable and enjoyable platform but, because it's so modular and adjustable, one which is quite easy to get wrong.

It's not the LP12 itself, it's largely Linn tonearms although other components can have an impact. The speed stability issue is also real, suspended decks are always going to struggle with that, but set up correctly with a good PSU the speed stability of the LP12 is very good. A lot of people just don't seem able to set them up and you don't get away with mistakes.

The LP12 is a very likable and enjoyable platform but, because it's so modular and adjustable, one which is quite easy to get wrong.
I don’t have a Linn arm, had an Aro for 30 years.

I last had an LP12 thirty years ago.

It was my mistake to change from Ittok LVIII to an Aro.
Although it has its qualities I never fully warmed to the Aro.

My Linn dealer was demming Pink Link LP12s at the time and I quite liked how they sounded.

After a while I wished that I could tinker, with my LP12 without having to take it to the dealer to set it up again every time.

Hence I changed to a Pink Triangle Anniversary which I have had ever since. It's suspension is set up from the top and is much more straight forward to change cartridges, arms etc.

I sometimes miss the LP12 but not the dealer dependency.

I'm glad I had my time with the LP12 as my thoughts of it are useful in comparing what I have now.

How does a PTA compare?

Less coloured for one. More open sounding. As some said, closer to the master tape.

advertisement

Back