advertisement

Previously happy LP12 owners who moved on.....

I last had an LP12 thirty years ago.

It was my mistake to change from Ittok LVIII to an Aro.
Although it has its qualities I never fully warmed to the Aro.

My Linn dealer was demming Pink Link LP12s at the time and I quite liked how they sounded.

After a while I wished that I could tinker, with my LP12 without having to take it to the dealer to set it up again every time.

Hence I changed to a Pink Triangle Anniversary which I have had ever since. It's suspension is set up from the top and is much more straight forward to change cartridges, arms etc.

I sometimes miss the LP12 but not the dealer dependency.

I'm glad I had my time with the LP12 as my thoughts of it are useful in comparing what I have now.

How does a PTA compare?

Less coloured for one. More open sounding. As some said, closer to the master tape.
I heard a PTA those many years ago at a show where Pink Triangle was comparing CD (don't remember which player was on the go) to the PTA & I remember the sound was remarkably close. I was impressed.

I sold my lp12 3 years ago, when i gave up vinyl. If for some crazy reason I decided to go back to vinyl, I would be happy to buy another lp12.

Reading this I find it funny the things we get used too and the attitudes adopted from theorising (sometimes without any real practical knowledge) or practicing something.

Record clamps or weights I don't particularly like but not from a sound quality aspect but more the 'faff' involved. But then I don't stop the platter to change sides or records.
Finger lifts I do like as it seems a more practical way to position the stylus. Though I will use the lift and lower device to erm lift and lower the stylus.
Lids are fine and useful from a dust perspective if you've an open fire, cat or dog but a pain to keep clean and free from polishing swirls but maybe some people play records with the lid down?

My ancient and never upgraded 1973 LP12 is still my main turntable although I have a variety of other makes in other systems now.

Perhaps the main reason I've only got the one LP12 is the cost of them now, even 2nd hand.

Can I genuinely thank everyone for their constructive contributions. I was already a bit depressed by my Linn experiences (latest was no reply to an email after 10 days. Yes I could phone but I’m so cynical of the possible answer that I wanted something in writing). You could tell my frustration from the original post!

The attitude of the dealers makes me furious (I’ve used several around the country and the only ones that seemed honest were Billy Vee). ATC are absolutely brilliant - but they don’t make turntables 😀

Getting demos would be my next challenge as I’m in west Wales. At least 2 hours to decent dealers of any sort - but I might see who sells what in the West Midlands and NW and perhaps take my fruit box on a mystery tour.

TBH I like the deck. The dealers absolutely suck and it winds me up.….. I guess there’s no harm having a listen to say an NA , SME or others but I’d have to be careful that I don’t just like the ‘change’. I have to live with it!

Thanks again for your constructive comments. When I saw how many posts had been made last night I was dreading a tirade of anti-Linn and decided to brave the feedback this morning! Better than I’d feared! 😀

@ex brickie

(With the sincerest of intentions...)

Please invest a humble 100-quid (or thereabouts) and upgrade your LP12 to "springless" status using AUDIOSILENTE SILICONE MUSHROOMS - available from LinnArts (Sweden) and a few other places.

[Google THE SPRINGLESS LP12 or AUDIOSILENTE SILICONE MUSHROOMS LP12 for endless raves and counter-banter - and to better understand all that the mushies do for the venerable LP12 and its original design problems...]

You will then hear all that your LP12 is capable of, within the context of your current configuration: PSU, bearing, sub-chassis, tonearm, cart, phono, support, etc.

The mushies are cheap, easily installed, easily reversed - and bloody amazing!

Best of all, the infernal LINN bouncy platter will be reduced to a firm but forgiving tremble.

Don't quit your beloved LP12 till you hear all that it is capable of, I say.

Thereafter, if you still think you can find better elsewhere, fair enough!

2069759971_LP12MUSHROOMSANDWAND1.thumb.jpg.ec471b40bb0d9838b5c5834ff40dc405.jpg

PS: A very nice side-benefit of the mushies: You won't need to keep clinging to your LINN dealer for costly LP12 tune-ups, because ...

With the wobbly springs gone, there is NOTHING left to tune up!

From that point onward, she’s set and forget… 😎 👍

Last edited:
The Technics G doesn't look as nice as a LP12 but it still looks great IMHO. Now SMEs I do find very ugly, apart from the 10 maybe.

Cheers BB
I like the SME 10, 20 & 30, not a fan of the newer range. The Technics G has grown on me, just like the solidity of it; will try one at some point.

I ended up in a vinyl transcription cul-de-sac, not that I lose sleep over it. Every deck I've had has been movable; transportable even but my Dais defies any mobility unless disassembled and that's sth that might just be too hazardous to attempt by myself.

Like Tony, I had a Xerxes, (with Artemiz and Shiraz) but the first power supply failed; had the deck for 5 years though; it followed an early fruit box but both succeeded by an early Orbe/Five which lasted 12 + years.

Re. finger lifts, Darren L, utterly redundant on (most?) 12" arms assuming you have a decent lowering/lifting device; precision cueing and no wobbly hands. I've never tried a d/d deck and probably never will though my bake-off friend has the top Technics which he's pleased with.

If you want your turntable to sound like a CD, what's the point?

When I got my P10 I was struck over time how all LP's don't sound the same anymore, each disk played upon it took on it own unique sonic character, like getting some insight into what the artists wanted the record to feel like in the studio. Now going back to my LP12 -I've owned several different LP12's over the past 35 years- I'm instantly reminded of it's warm character droaning sameness imposed upon all LP's played upon it and that individual LP feel becomes overshadowed by it's inherent colorations, and now I simply can't unhear these artifacts.

The LP12 has always been a fine deck what ever mix of parts one puts in the plinth, always full of tune & PRaT, and the P10 gave this all to me too, just without the additional baggage of all those colorations, so if that's more like a CD then I'm all for it.

I’m of the personal opinion now that decks are like musical intruments themselves.

Good to see LP12 are still upgradable and improvable. Plenty of choice for your money for a new deck these days through.

Wonder what Linn’s split between new decks sold vs parts and upgrades?

When I got my P10 I was struck over time how all LP's don't sound the same anymore, each disk played upon it took on it own unique sonic character, like getting some insight into what the artists wanted the record to feel like in the studio. Going back to my LP12 -I've owned different several LP12's over the past 35 years- I'm instantly reminded of it's warm character droaning sameness imposed upon all LP's played upon it and that individual LP feel becomes overshadowed by it's inherent colorations, and now I simply can't unhear it.

The LP12 has always been a fine deck what ever mix of parts one puts in the plinth, always full of tune & PRaT, and the P10 gave this all to to me too, just without the additional baggage of all those added colorations, so if that's more like a CD then I'm all for it.

I totally get that point of view.
i have had some fine CD players on loan here and they do sound good but for the type of music that I play, the LP12 is simply more enjoyable.
It has a swing to it that nothing else I have tried quite has, apart from An ancient Garrard SP25 mk 2 that I used to own but that had a list of problems. lol

I totally get that point of view.
i have had some fine CD players on loan here and they do sound good but for the type of music that I play, the LP12 is simply more enjoyable.
It has a swing to it that nothing else I have tried quite has, apart from An ancient Garrard SP25 mk 2 that I used to own but that had a list of problems. lol
Simply more enjoyable to you. For me it often irritated and sometimes got lost. Brilliant on some simple, well recorded stuff but a PITA if it got complicated or messy. I used to get so annoyed I‘d give up and put something else on that I knew would sound good….and I hate Steely Dan!

Simply more enjoyable to you. For me it often irritated and sometimes got lost. Brilliant on some simple, well recorded stuff but a PITA if it got complicated or messy. I used to get so annoyed I‘d give up and put something else on that I knew would sound good….and I hate Steely Dan!
I hate Steely Dan too but I don’t listen to Jazz or classical.
I can fully understand why it would get on people’s nerves but the stuff I play usually sounds better on my LP12 compared to other sources.

I hate Steely Dan too but I don’t listen to Jazz or classical.
I can fully understand why it would get on people’s nerves but the stuff I play usually sounds better on my LP12 compared to other sources.
I also hate Steely Dan. One of the most overrated bands ever in my opinion.

advertisement

Back