advertisement

Previously happy LP12 owners who moved on.....

Why not have two decks and/or two systems? My LP12 replaced a Project 6 Perspex and it stayed in my main system for about 6 years until it was itself replaced by a 1210GR. I didn't want to let the deck go so it ended up in my bedroom system, where I can finally say that's where it'll probably be for the foreseeable future (synergy issues meant that outcome needed a bit of effort).

I think the other thread has coloured propels views somewhat. Linn massively support the LP12 & the OP has fitted many 3rd party parts to his deck, nothing wrong with that.

I’ve toyed with the idea of doing away with vinyl, probably keep the records but have a break from having a TT. Have always fancied an SME deck but they are expensive, quite like the idea of Technics G but they are a bit ugly.

I fail to see how the OP will be landed with a big bill & is possibly unlikely to get anything substantially ‘better’ purely from the funds of selling it.

The upgrade nervosa (& related conditions) is spread more by forums than by companies. You either like what you have or you don’t.

I sometimes miss the LP12 but not the dealer dependency.
You don't have to be dependand on the dealer. In fact it's much better if you're not. My LP12s haven't been in a dealers for decades.

The LP12 is a very simple turntable. There is not a lot inside that fruit-box. If you are good with your hands and know what end of a screwdriver to hold there is no reason why you can't learn to look after an LP12.

Oh, Look! ...Another month has gone by and again were graced with yet another post looking for confirmation/backslapping that the LP12 is still relevant, it's exhausting.

Thing is there is no single "LP12" & over it's many decades lifespan & different parts available -not even including all the aftermarket parts- there has become literally 100+ different ways to build one up, and each combination will sound different, so what exactly is an LP12?, turns out it's not some magic in their sprung suspension either now that many are moving over to those Mushroom type elastomers. Linn would have us believe that at whatever pricepoint an LP12 is built up for, with whatever parts were chosen, it will somehow result in the best sounding deck for that amount of money.

Lets finally call the "LP12" for what it's become, it's a hobby kit based upon the internal dimensions of Linns wooden box, and Linn won't dare come up with completely new deck just to sell a few when they can potentially sell hundreds of the next so called "upgrade" to already existing kit owners.

I wouldn't worry too much about spare parts remaining available for the LP12. Linn has amortized its development costs for the LP12 many times over (as, probably, have you). It's pure profit for them now and we all know how much Linn likes profits!!!

I had an LP 12 for 25 years and did all the mods as they came along. Then tried a Sony DD I got for £100 alongside and thought ‘my God, this is not bad‘ and realised I’d just accepted the LP12 was the best without ever comparing it to anything.

Still, carried on, then the Akiva needed changing (probably not, but I understood: duff in two years) So rang the dealer and the regional manager answered ( you could hear the red lining to the suit) Asked what can I replace the Akiva that would cost about a grand with? The fat **** ( I could hear that too!) said the next Linn one at 3K!

In that moment I decided to listen to other turntables, ended up with a WT Amadeus GTa. The thing is they have a very similar sound signature to the LP 12 just a bit more neutral so don’t have that odd and irritating upper bass.

The future is probably a Techy G cos I really have done with the game and just want a really good deck I can forget about and don’t need to dust.

(The 12 I swapped out was lingo 2, Circus, Ekos 2, Akiva on mana ref)

Last edited:
Oh, Look! ...Another month has gone by and again were graced with yet another post looking for confirmation/backslapping that the LP12 is still relevant, it's exhausting.

Thing is there is no single "LP12" & over it's many decades lifespan & different parts available -not even including all the aftermarket parts- there has become literally 100+ different ways to build one up, and each combination will sound different, so what exactly is an LP12?, turns out it's not some magic in their sprung suspension either now that many are moving over to those Mushroom type elastomers. Linn would have us believe that at whatever pricepoint an LP12 is built up for, with whatever parts were chosen, it will somehow result in the best sounding deck for that amount of money.

Lets finally call the "LP12" for what it's become, it's a hobby kit, and Linn won't dare come up with completely new deck just to sell a few when they can potentially sell hundreds of the next so called "upgrade" to already existing kit owners.
Linn can’t control what people do with their decks. This whole hobby is a hobby.

I jumped off the good ship Linn pretty much when the Keel came out since I really couldn't justify the price of the upgrade in terms of either the realisable value of the LP12 it would be going on or the sound quality improvement it brought. At the time my spec was LP12/Cirkus/Ekos II/Lingo II/Troika/DIY Prefix.

Instead I went with a used Michell Orbe/Graham 2.2/Ortofon MC20/Similar DIY prefix.

The Orbe left the LP12 I had for dead and brought more to the party than the Keel upgrade would have done and I paid ridiculously little for it (actually about the same as just the Keel would have cost).

You probably won't get that lucky but the Orbe is certainly worth a look and your Javelin and Dynavector could probably just move across.

I kept the Linn on for several years along with an Elite Rock with which it shared the Lingo but I moved it on eventually since it was the least good, least used and most valuable on the secondary market of my three TT's.

The only downside to the Orbe is that it does split record labels due to the way the clamp is implemented which might be an issue if you ever buy valuable records with a view to resale. That's really why the Rock is still with me as a non destructive option mostly for the use of "guest" records.

The other option I looked at seriously at the time was the Funk Firm upgrades which I might have gone for if the Orbe hadn't come along.

The Orbe is still making the grade 20 years later. You don't hear so much about the Funk firm LP12 upgrades these days.

You don't have to be dependand on the dealer.
If I had kept my old LP12 I hope I would have learnt a bit more about it's maintenance over time.

Back in those days Linn seemed to convince their customers that only their dealers expertise could set up their fruitboxes.

Seemingly happy with an Armageddon/Aro/17D2 in 2005, I heard a Rega P9 (the mk2 version, after the RB900 had been replaced with the 1000).

Haven't had any inclination to go back to Linn ever since.

I really don't agree with Pig's view on the Aro - it was a fabulous arm on the LP12; replacing the deck's original Ittok, it was a whole world better. I also don't agree that a lot of dissing of the LP12 is necessarily based on poor setup. Mine was maintained by Derek Jenkins.

There are better decks.

Back in those days Linn seemed to convince their customers that only their dealers expertise could set up their fruitboxes.
Linn are so full of shite!

It's a shame as a lot of bitterness towards the LP12 is actually rooted in bitterness towards Linn themselves and their dealers. Some Linn dealers are ok, ish, but if you admire the company that Linn have turned into I pity you.

My first LP12 was in 1984 with Ittok and P77, it replaced a Pink Triangle & Syrinx 3. I’m not sure it was really better in hindsight but I was indoctrinated into Linns world. I bought a second in 1988 with Troika which I found phenomenal against my previously limited cartridge experiences. When that was worn I disliked the Klyde as a clear step down and bought an Ortofon Rohmman which was different and I got on with it well.

My LP12 journey stopped there moving to a Spacedeck and Spacearm which I personally found vastly superior, first with the Rohmann and then with a Benz Glider. I then moved to an SME 10 with all its quality and precision but I’m not sure it was better than the enjoyment I had from the Spacedeck.

Returning to vinyl about 12 years later I bought and still have an RP10. After 3 years I’m satisfied and replaced the Apheta 2 with a Hana ML which I really like bit I’m still curious as we often are and will do some more auditioning this year. Linn won’t be on the list.

Instead I like the engineering philosophies of Avid, Nottingham and Origin Live, all home grown and all produce in the UK as much as they can. I will compare an SL1200G as well. If I prefer the RP10 to them I’ll stick with it and I’m looking forward to finding out which I prefer.

I have some Linn amp experience with LK1/LK2 followed by Kairn/Klout (they drove my Isobariks but not much more positive to say about them). I enjoyed the Briks but like Mick P would live with Shahinian instead and I’ve lived with many more speakers since then and will make my mind up in the coming months which stay out of my current Martin Logan, Rega RS10 and Celestion Ditton 66.

The P77 on an Ittock is a huge mistake! Been there, done that. What dealer sold you that? the Linn basic cartridge (AT95) would have been hugely better.

I currently use a Rega P9 (RB1000 & Exact) and it’s great, but, I’ve always had a secret hankering for a fluted plinth LP12 of some sort 🤦‍♂️😀.

Linn are so full of shite!

It's a shame as a lot of bitterness towards the LP12 is actually rooted in bitterness towards Linn themselves and their dealers. Some Linn dealers are ok, ish, but if you admire the company that Linn have turned into I pity you.

My experience in a nutshell.

@ex brickie
Seems to me the build of your LP12 is much better than the folks commenting who have “moved on” from their LP12. You have some pretty substantial recent upgrades in the Lingo 4 and Karousel bearing that should set you up for long-term enjoyment. I would say your deck is about as maintenance free as any other turntable as all you should need maintenance-wise in the future is a new belt every 10 years and a new phono cartridge every few years or so.

I would strongly recommend replacing the springs/grommets with Audio Silente Mushrooms as that will be an improvement in sound quality and also make you less dependent on a dealer for servicing. It will make your recent investments in upgrades seem like a big ripoff!

If I were to move on from my LP12, the deck I would try first is the Rega Naia.

I currently use a Rega P9 (RB1000 & Exact) and it’s great, but, I’ve always had a secret hankering for a fluted plinth LP12 of some sort 🤦‍♂️😀.

I commend your sense of adventure, but having done the same in reverse, you will lose out.

if you want to experiment, try an MC cart. The Exact is a very good MM, but an Ania Pro or a good AT MC will better it.

Lets finally call the "LP12" for what it's become, it's a hobby kit based upon the internal dimensions of Linns wooden box, and Linn won't dare come up with completely new deck just to sell a few when they can potentially sell hundreds of the next so called "upgrade" to already existing kit owners.

I suspect there really is something in this. Other TT manufacturers don't just introduce outrageously priced new parts in an attempt to refine what is, fundamentally, a wooden box with a three point suspension system. They rethink, test and develop. Linn have been trading off their 80s reputation for a long time now. Almost certainly too long.

advertisement

Back