advertisement

prefab sprout

Deacon Blue really were terrible, couldn’t stand them. Over earnest lead & really annoying backing vocals. Crap lyrics etc
Yes it's a harsh comparison...I've heard it made before and can't hear it, other than they both used solo female backing vocals.

Piqued my interest now, scrolling through my ripped CD's and playing 'Meet Danny Wilson'...Great band from that era.

Raintown is also one of favourite albums and I can very much see why they are compared. Namely, similarly excellent melodies! I don't like anything else Deacon Blue made though.... "Fergus sings the blues" not bad I guess... and can't stand Matt Bianco, Danny Wilson, Everything but the Girl, Sade and all that ilk...Really lame! "Dinner pop" for the wannabe middle class Ikea generation...

Random 'sprout fact. "Steve McQueen" called "Two wheels good" in USA after complaints from the estate of Steve McQueen!

Raintown is also one of favourite albums and I can very much see why they are compared. Namely, similarly excellent melodies! I don't like anything else Deacon Blue made though.... "Fergus sings the blues" not bad I guess... and can't stand Matt Bianco, Danny Wilson, Everything but the Girl, Sade and all that ilk...Really lame! "Dinner pop" for the wannabe middle class Ikea generation...

Random 'sprout fact. "Steve McQueen" called "Two wheels good" in USA after complaints from the estate of Steve McQueen!
Is the IKEA generation from the 80's?

The only album i had was
The Best of Prefab Sprout: A Life of Surprises
Probably the album i played the most in the 90s
Loved every track

Horsin' around's a serious business........

Loved Thomas Dolby's production on Steve McQueen and the hand coloured photo on the cover.

Horsin' around's a serious business...
Love that track. Great lyrics.
From the opening:
It's me again
Your worthless friend
Or foe
I somehow let that lovely creature down

The black humour of the section that goes:
I
Deserve
To be
Kicked
So badly.

And...
Selling it all...
up the swanee.

Love that track. Great lyrics.
From the opening:
It's me again
Your worthless friend
Or foe
I somehow let that lovely creature down

The black humour of the section that goes:
I
Deserve
To be
Kicked
So badly.

And...
Selling it all...
up the swanee.

Word brother.

I loved "Faron" and was a little disappointed when the rest of the album wasn't like that one.

Quite the opposite for me - my least favourite track by a distance.
It is somewhat out of place on the album, but I still love it, doesn't spoil the album at all. Steve McQueen is one of those 'safe' albums that if I put it on, I just want to listen to it, no matter what mood I'm in.
I saw them on the supporting tour (first gig at university), but unfortunately I can't say it sticks in my mind that much. But what an album...

Because there’ll probably never be another Prefab Sprout tour, this interests me greatly:

http://feliksculpa.com/martin_mcaloon_prefab_sprout_uk_tour/

We saw Martin play the Trades Club in Hebden Bridge earlier this year. Lovely man and nervous as hell - PS were never naturals as a live act - but god, what a lovely show. Just him and a guitar playing a selection of PS tunes. Very funny chat between songs and even some audience participation! See this tour if you can.

I really like Swoon, but can see how it’s not as thoroughly joined up as Steve McQueen. The acoustic version of SMcQ is excellent as well. My vinyl copy of Jordan the comeback is really sibilant & edgy to the point where it ruins the enjoyment of what is otherwise a great album & From Langley Park... is another excellent pop album. I can’t get into the later stuff as much, but maybe that’s just me.

Jordan should never, ever have been a single disc. 19 tracks and over an hour of music crammed onto one LP :eek: My original is listenable, but it's not going to win any sound-quality awards. They sensibly split it for the recent(ish) reissue - now a two-LP set.

advertisement

Back