advertisement

prefab sprout

Mr Cat

Owner
inspired by the debut album - I'm having a listen, was a fan back in the day and had a few albums on cassette...and indeed they're from about 8 miles from where I am now :)

their first album (swoon) didn't do it for me, but steve mcqueen...wow!

there's a few bands from that era who I love and still listen to, the go betweens and andy white...happy days :)

Steve McQueen, From Langley Park to Memphis - love them both.....I Trawl The Megahertz is an absolute triumph over adversity and a look into Paddy McAloon's life over the dark days.

They really passed me by, even though I was the right age at the time. I think he is super talented & a great interviewee BTW

I really like Swoon, but can see how it’s not as thoroughly joined up as Steve McQueen. The acoustic version of SMcQ is excellent as well. My vinyl copy of Jordan the comeback is really sibilant & edgy to the point where it ruins the enjoyment of what is otherwise a great album & From Langley Park... is another excellent pop album. I can’t get into the later stuff as much, but maybe that’s just me.

I really like Swoon, but can see how it’s not as thoroughly joined up as Steve McQueen. The acoustic version of SMcQ is excellent as well. My vinyl copy of Jordan the comeback is really sibilant & edgy to the point where it ruins the enjoyment of what is otherwise a great album & From Langley Park... is another excellent pop album. I can’t get into the later stuff as much, but maybe that’s just me.

I think certain bands are attributed to a certain time in our lives, and as a result some bands we can't connect to at a later date...I have lots like that, a classic example is andy white, 'Rave on' is amazing, but can't get into his later stuff..

I’m going to mention “Andromeda Heights” because it’s almost Blue Nile-brilliant, Calum Malcolm being the common denominator. Love the albums that came before it as well, but struggle with the later ones.

I had a ticket to see them at the Bridgewater Hall on the Jordan tour but had to do the mgt accounts at a slate mine instead.
Faron Young used to rock the juke box at the Barley Mow, City Road...now derelict.
Protest Songs the shelved album between SM and FLPTM is pretty good.
SM will always be my favourite.

Loved them back then from Swoon through to Jordan. Oddly, I never fancy listening to them now really. Cars And Girls is an occasional ear worm though.

Loved them back then from Swoon through to Jordan. Oddly, I never fancy listening to them now really. Cars And Girls is an occasional ear worm though.

there are lots of bands from back in the day that (for various reasons) find it hard to listen too now...and some old faves too! prefab sprout weren't a real fave, but can appreciate them now more i think...but it's the first time I've listened to them in about 15-20 years!

Even the later albums are good a band I play now and again. Kane Gang , China Crisis , Matt Blanco ,

I’m going to mention “Andromeda Heights” because it’s almost Blue Nile-brilliant, Calum Malcolm being the common denominator. Love the albums that came before it as well, but struggle with the later ones.

I can't think of a less BN-like album!

Their weakest point alongside Let's Change the World with Music IMHO. Crimson/Red is much better.

I Trawl the Megahertz is tremendous.

Stephen

Pretty much my favourite band of all time! "Swoon" and "Jordan the comeback" my favourites followed by "Protest songs" but just don't see why everyone rates "Steve McQueen" so highly... It's bloody good simply because it's by Prefab Sprout during their glory days but SM and "Langley Park to Memphis" are IMHO their weakest albums.
Sitting through Jordan from beginning to end with a few nice drinks is an emotional rollercoaster and if "They never sang doo wop in Harlem" at the end doesn't tug the heartstrings or moisten the eye you are dead inside!:)

I really must have another listen to "I trawl the megahertz"... I got it and only tried listening to it once, thought "meh" after about 10 minutes and put something else on... never went back to it, so far. I copied it for a mate who's opinion and taste I respect and he really rates it so I must give it another chance:)

Goodbye Lucille still sounds great on my system and has not dated one bit.

Even the later albums are good a band I play now and again. Kane Gang , China Crisis , Matt Blanco ,

China Crisis 'Flaunt the Imperfections' is ne of my fav LPs.

I love the Walter Becker production and Dan style horns.

advertisement

Back