advertisement

Power conditioners & Power Regenerators dont do anything for audio

Keith,

When customers come into your shop to purchase one of your favourite packages..D&D, Grimm, Kii or the others, all at different price points, do you insist they take an unsighted ABX test before buying or are you happy to let them trust their ears sighted?
Loudspeakers do sound quite differently from each other even when their measurements are pretty similar, if a customer wishes to compare unsighted that can be arranged.
Keith

If safety was my primary buying concern, all other things being equal, id buy the higher ncap rated car.

You cant tell which car is safer by driving, you can't feel a crumple zone.

But car safety isn't just a matter of crumple zones. Better brakes, steering and handling can be distinguished by driving and do contribute greatly to safety by allowing a driver to avoid an impact in the first place. I'm not sure how relevant this is to HiFi though!

Loudspeakers do sound quite differently from each other even when their measurements are pretty similar, if a customer wishes to compare unsighted that can be arranged.
Keith
I don't think you should blind your customers..even if they think it will help? Just doesn't sit well with me..surely there is another way?

If you believe your ears are an accurate way of measuring hifi gear then I would suggest the one who is deluded is you sir. I cannot count how many times I hear an old guys system and it is so bright it hurts to listen to as he is attempting to compensate for his high frequency hearing loss.
I can only believe my ears when I am listening to music (where would be the satisfaction any other way?) but I can also be guided by measurements that my small brain can comprehend:). Surely if you don't use you ears for judging your hifi you are deluding yourself that you bought it to listen to music?

But car safety isn't just a matter of crumple zones. Better brakes, steering and handling can be distinguished by driving and do contribute greatly to safety by allowing a driver to avoid an impact in the first place. I'm not sure how relevant this is to HiFi though!
Car safety is a matter of due care and attention not just 'n-cap safety ratings'. Do n-cap ratings save lives on their own?
And, yeah, how is this relavent to hifi?

I can only believe my ears when I am listening to music (where would be the satisfaction any other way?) but I can also be guided by measurements that my small brain can comprehend:). Surely if you don't use you ears for judging your hifi you are deluding yourself that you bought it to listen to music?

To me the measurements are a helpful guide. I am sure my tube amp measures like crap but it can sound fantastic on the right content.

I've been thinking a lot about the merits of double-blind testing and why that methodology needs to be applied to everything we do to ensure what we perceive is real, rather than imagined. It's even more important if you post about your perceptions on a hi-fi forum because someone might call you on it, asking, hey, did you do your tests blind or sighted?

I started by double-blind testing music. Not hi-fi equipment, music. I think I like Bach and Beethoven but do I enjoy them because I really like Bach and Beethoven or is that enjoyment simply the unconscious effect of a preconceived bias? After all, they both have stellar reputations, the kind you'd expect from legendary composers, and they both have well-coiffed 'dos, which suggest gravitas and possibly salon-quality hair gel.

Bach
250px-Young_Bach2.jpg

Beethoven
256x256bb.jpg

But maybe in reality I despise Bach and Beethoven and have convinced myself otherwise because I don't want to appear like a philistine. We must remember, the mind is susceptible to all manner of biases, not least of which is the dreaded big hair confirmation bias.

It's taken a lot of effort, but I have removed the record labels from my LPs and I've stored the albums in generic record jackets that don't reveal the identity of the album within. I've also used isopropyl alcohol to carefully remove the labels from my CDs and thrown away the little booklets inside. They all look like CD blanks now, so it's impossible to know what's in the CD player.

I can now say with statistical certainty whether I really like Bach and Beethoven because of my carefully designed double-blind tests; however, it turns out my experiment had a flaw. I was too hasty in throwing out the identifiers. I honestly don't know what I'm playing now. It could be Bach, Beethoven — or Black Sabbath for all I know.

Let this be a lesson to you. It is possible to science the joy out of your life to be statistically certain.

Joe

I've been thinking a lot about the merits of double-blind testing and why that methodology needs to be applied to everything we do to ensure what we perceive is real, rather than imagined. It's even more important if you post about your perceptions on a hi-fi forum because someone might call you on it, asking, hey, did you do your tests blind or sighted?

I started by double-blind testing music. Not hi-fi equipment, music. I think I like Bach and Beethoven but do I enjoy them because I really like Bach and Beethoven or is that enjoyment simply the unconscious effect of a preconceived bias? After all, they both have stellar reputations, the kind you'd expect from legendary composers, and they both have well-coiffed 'dos, which suggest gravitas and possibly salon-quality hair gel.

Bach
250px-Young_Bach2.jpg

Beethoven
256x256bb.jpg

But maybe in reality I despise Bach and Beethoven, but have convinced myself otherwise because I don't want to appear like a philistine. We must remember, the mind is susceptible to all manner of biases, not least of which is the dreaded big hair confirmation bias.

It's taken a lot of effort, but I have removed the record labels from my LPs and I've stored the albums in generic record jackets that don't reveal the identity of the album within. I've also used isopropyl alcohol to carefully remove the labels from my CDs and thrown away the little booklets inside. They all look like CD blanks now, so it's impossible to know what's in the CD player.

I can now say with statistical certainty whether I really like Bach and Beethoven because of my carefully designed double-blind tests; however, it turns out my experiment had a flaw. I was too hasty in throwing out the identifiers. I honestly don't know what I'm playing now. It could be Bach, Beethoven — or Black Sabbath for all I know.

Let this be a lesson to you. It is possible to science the joy out of your life to be statistically certain.

Joe
Beethoven beats Bach..Mozart however wins without actually trying..

Bach
250px-Young_Bach2.jpg

Beethoven
256x256bb.jpg

But maybe in reality I despise Bach and Beethoven and have convinced myself otherwise because I don't want to appear like a philistine. We must remember, the mind is susceptible to all manner of biases, not least of which is the dreaded big hair confirmation bias.

Joe

I love Bach's later stuff. Massive electric guitars and wall of sound distortion. Cracking.

Bach
250px-Young_Bach2.jpg

Beethoven
256x256bb.jpg

Joe

Guy at the top is wearing a wig. Just sayin'

advertisement

Back