advertisement

power amp suggestions around £2,500

I was going to suggest looking at the lejonklou tundra, I haven't heard one but have heard many reports that it compares to a linn KCT at less than half the price.

No, that is the whole idea of the thread - put together a shortlist and combine a few dealer visits with a few days with the aged mother.

Ah, right you are; apologies for not reading more carefully.

Have listen to a Bryston 3B or 4B if you have the chance, their amps are special imo.

There are several small hifi repair and electronic shops on here who will message you if they are interested (you could always post a services wanted advert in the classifieds page). I don't want to start naming names because I only have experience of one, and he makes his own amps :).

To be honest, the pair for sale at hifiwigwam look really well built, and are about cost price. NC400 modules are 650, PSUs are 380, cases around 50 euros each, plus VAT at 21% (Netherlands) ends up around 1360 euros. If you would like to hear what they can do, see if anyone on the nCore thread in the DIY room is near you and would be happy to give a demo. I am in the Netherlands, so probably a bit far to travel for a listen :)

Cheers,
Ed

Thanks Ed

NAD C275BEE 150 wpc £895 sounds virtually same as the Quad Platinum Stereo 150 wpc £2500 but without the hum problem I encountered with the Quad both made in China

Just read a review where it states the amp draws 2000w when under load:eek:

max draw is 2500watts from the mains , but they do produce 1,600wpc
they are 99.99% efficient unique PSU with 7,000w peak
well over 100amps & 100volts output
they run stone cold no matter how hard you drive them , my 6wpc valve amp produces much more heat at idle than these do a full rated power

http://sanderssoundsystems.com/products/amplifiers/magtech-amp

Sounds like my kind of amp, I'm using powersoft ATM in my PA rig, it takes a lot of power to consistently drive speakers over 130dB, and robust speakers!!!

Sanders do make a monoblock version of the magtech rated at 1600wpc @ 8ohms if more power is required , find my 900wpc stereo ones are lets say
"ample" with 94bd speakers

I have been reading some reviews of nCores with interest. Can you please give the user names of the forum members who can build a set?

I have a pair of ncore 400s on loan at the moment...very impressed.
I could help you with a build...where do you live?

No, that is the whole idea of the thread - put together a shortlist and combine a few dealer visits with a few days with the aged mother.

I do not know what Bryston Power amps are like but I do know that their integrated through PMC speakers are unlistenable for me, far too harsh

I have a pair of ncore 400s on loan at the moment...very impressed.
I could help you with a build...where do you live?

My advice is to avoid any class D Amp like the plague. Read Stereophiles review of the Antherm MI Class D monoblocks not recommended, do not sound natural. Yet HFN & RR gives them a rave review and are rewarded with full page adverts.

Bryston amps are superb; clean, powerful and neutral amps. The observations on brightness in my experience are due to imperfect matching. Bryston will reproduce exactly what they are sent and, if you match them with ancillary products tailored to your taste, you will achieve whatever sound you're looking for.

I have a Bryston pre power amp combination and I run a variety of sources through them. They simply reproduce what the source gives to them. I have had a large number of enthusiasts to my home on various occasions and, accepting politeness, the amps have been universally lauded.

My advice is to avoid any class D Amp like the plague. Read Stereophiles review of the Antherm MI Class D monoblocks not recommended, do not sound natural. Yet HFN & RR gives them a rave review and are rewarded with full page adverts.
Nothing wrong with the Class D amps I have heard.

Another happy Bryston pre & power user here. And for the OP's info the power amps have switchable gain - 23 or 29 db.

Interestingly, in John Atkinson's comments on one of those amps articles, he actually stated that he has heard successful implementations of Class D from the Bruno Putzey's camp (i.e. Hypex).

Understandably there has been some sub-par solutions, but things have moved on from there.

Maybe, I do not believe anything John Atkinson says re sound quality, OTH he appears to be a good measurement man. Did you read Kal Rubinsons Music in the Round review of the Antherm MI he goes into very great detail.

Maybe, I do not believe anything John Atkinson says re sound quality, OTH he appears to be a good measurement man. Did you read Kal Rubinsons Music in the Round review of the Antherm MI he goes into very great detail.

Its not a hypex solution, which have a long track record of being decent. I've come from a very decent Class A/B implementation (Harman HK990) to Class D (Hypex NCore). As always listen for yourself, Kal has his own preferences too.

Disbeliever said:
My advice is to avoid any class D Amp like the plague.
The Class D amps I have heard especially the Bel Canto ones are unlistenable. Class AB is still the best for me.

With all due respect, if you have not heard a Hypex amp, you probably shouldn't be telling people to stay away. Class D amps don't all sound the same, just because you don't like one is no reason to diss all of them.

MCAi7 I also do not like Primare despite its rave review & EISA award from HFN & R R whose editor seems to be fixated on Class D especially the Devialet at £12K. One was advertised for sale and I asked the seller why he was selling it and he ws very honest he said it became fatiguing to listen to after a while and was too clinical but others might like it as obviously they do. I have only heard it at audio shows in very large rooms and of course it sounded OK but it could be a different story when you got it Home anyway I know from long experience that inexpensive Class AB can sound excellent and I would not waste £12K on an amplifier the cost of a car, its additional preamp & other features do not interest me.

advertisement

Back