advertisement

power amp suggestions around £2,500

Can you get A Bryston for that price?

To be honest I really don't think there is much reason to spend that much since you can get superb transparent amps for £500. I do like bryston though.

A pair of Hypex nCore monoblocks, fully built up in nice cases by one of the pros who frequent this forum, shouldn't cost you more than £1500. To beat them you have to spend upwards of 5k (at least that is the current buzz).

I had a listen to Witch Hat's new amp the other day, and I liked what I heard. Less than your price range for the stereo amp, but I understand Mark is also doing monoblocs.

I'm not sure on gain, but didn't hear any buzz, and don't think they had fans - if they did they didn't kick in - I too pick up such noises :)

May I suggest a pair Albarry M608 Mono-blocs, no buzz, no fans, just fantastic music IMO, £2,995.

regards Al

A pair of Hypex nCore monoblocks, fully built up in nice cases by one of the pros who frequent this forum, shouldn't cost you more than £1500. To beat them you have to spend upwards of 5k (at least that is the current buzz).

I have been reading some reviews of nCores with interest. Can you please give the user names of the forum members who can build a set?

I had a listen to Witch Hat's new amp the other day, and I liked what I heard. Less than your price range for the stereo amp, but I understand Mark is also doing monoblocs.

I'm not sure on gain, but didn't hear any buzz, and don't think they had fans - if they did they didn't kick in - I too pick up such noises :)

No fans and a very quiet transformer :)

I have been reading some reviews of nCores with interest. Can you please give the user names of the forum members who can build a set?

There are several small hifi repair and electronic shops on here who will message you if they are interested (you could always post a services wanted advert in the classifieds page). I don't want to start naming names because I only have experience of one, and he makes his own amps :).

To be honest, the pair for sale at hifiwigwam look really well built, and are about cost price. NC400 modules are 650, PSUs are 380, cases around 50 euros each, plus VAT at 21% (Netherlands) ends up around 1360 euros. If you would like to hear what they can do, see if anyone on the nCore thread in the DIY room is near you and would be happy to give a demo. I am in the Netherlands, so probably a bit far to travel for a listen :)

Cheers,
Ed

sanders sound systems
magtech stereo £ 3500 new or demo model for £ 2750
500wpc @ 8ohms
1600wpc @ 2ohms
7000wpc peak
will drive any speaker ever built - can drive down to 1/3rd of a ohm
unique patented fully regulated PSU
silent no cooling fans , runs cool to the touch
made in usa with a lifetime warranty

Magtech voted TAS the absolute sound - The ten most significant amplifiers of all time

Sanders Magtech
Not around long enough yet to have had much influence, but give it time. This amplifier offers a unique mode of operation and not just the promise but the reality of an all but unprecedented ability to drive difficult loads playing demanding music with uncompromised sound quality. Analog amplification lives!

can demo no problem

http://www.scottnangle.co.uk/sanders_sound_20.html

May I suggest a pair Albarry M608 Mono-blocs, no buzz, no fans, just fantastic music IMO, £2,995.

regards Al

I might possibly be selling my nearly new ones for rather less than that, although it will be a painful decision. Having got my Unison Research amps back I'm torn.

Can't remember the spec of those speakers but there's a Bryston 8BSST 4 x 120 (?) Watt amp on FunkyJunk at the mo for under £2k. Add an active xover and you're away.
Alternatively bridge for a two channel.
Call to check exact specs and guarantee; they can be a bit vague.

sanders sound systems
magtech stereo £ 3500 new or demo model for £ 2750
500wpc @ 8ohms
1600wpc @ 2ohms
7000wpc peak
will drive any speaker ever built - can drive down to 1/3rd of a ohm
unique patented fully regulated PSU
silent no cooling fans , runs cool to the touch
made in usa with a lifetime warranty

Magtech voted TAS the absolute sound - The ten most significant amplifiers of all time

Sanders Magtech
Not around long enough yet to have had much influence, but give it time. This amplifier offers a unique mode of operation and not just the promise but the reality of an all but unprecedented ability to drive difficult loads playing demanding music with uncompromised sound quality. Analog amplification lives!

can demo no problem

http://www.scottnangle.co.uk/sanders_sound_20.html

Sounds like my kind of amp, I'm using powersoft ATM in my PA rig, it takes a lot of power to consistently drive speakers over 130dB, and robust speakers!!!

advertisement

Back